Thread: What to do?

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

What to do?

Hey guys, would like to introduce myself and ask a question. I hope I have the correct forum to ask this in too, if not, don't yell at me too loudly :-)

This scenario came up in my gym last week and I frankly was at a loss as to how to react to this guy.

I am not a big guy, but I do know my way around a gym, have been training non-stop for about 3 years now. I do mostly powerlifting, so I am more into deadlifts, squats and benching mainly.

Well I also am not particularly muscular, my genes are for crap and I don't lift to beat other folks numbers at meets, but to beat my last total, so I have motivation for myself.

Then last week this new guy at the gym, who has been bodybuilding for a while but has an attitude beyong what I have ever seen, starts laughing at me when I was deadlifting, saying "only a pussy would do the weight you are doing", and then added, "why do skinny fag boys like you come to a mans gym". He then proceeded to start showing off by flexing in the mirror and his girlfriend started admiring him and laughing at me too.

What provoked this kind of attitude towards me? I mean I may not look super, or like a BBer, but I try my hardest, I eat well, but I just don't have BBing genes.

You guys ever run into guys with this kind of crappy attitude? How should I treat him the next time he does this? Have you ever treated a skinny guy like this in the gym and why?

I'm just trying to understand the guy.

Mallet is offline Anabolic Member
    It sound to me that that prick has no self asteem, anybody that has to compare themselves to someone else is pretty shallow and thinks little of himself.

I would just ignore him, that will piss him off the most knowing that what he says has no effect on you!

then train your ass off and get bigger and meaner and stronger
    and in a years time bump into him and say to him"remember me you little s##t!, your not so tough now, and pull his heart out of his chest!"

Sorry I had to get that off my chest?

I have little patients for a$$ holes like that!

best thing is to just ignore him, you don't need a confrontation with him, your there to train, your not there to become what you
    detest.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    Some people rate themselves better than others and need to boost their ego,s.He,s a jerk ignore him.If it was me I would let it be and if it continued wait until he,s on his own grab his nuts pull them approx 2ft away from his body and put a nice 90degree twist on them then ask him what his problem is.He,ll back down no matter how big he is.Either that or punch him hard in the throat.

..........But we don,t promote violence on this board so ignore him and show him that he may be bigger than you but you are more of a man as you don,t need to rise upto it.He,s a weak,cowardly asshole,just remember that.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    Assholes like that are very insecure of them selfs that why they will try and put smaller people down..Always keep in your own mind that you are better than him because you can keep your opinions to your self.....YOU KNOW HE IS A ASSHOLE....

Psycoswole is offline Member
    No way bro, i treat everyone at my gym with the same respect regardless of size or strength. Like the guys said it sounds like the guy has some insecurity problems. Dont let it phase you

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Sorry Canes...if I knew you were a member of this board, I never would have said that to you

Obviously a joke bro. I can gaurantee that this clown was an asshole back when he was 135lbs...once an asshole, always an asshole!! Having a jakked physique does not make you a prick, in most cases the big guys go out of their way NOT to portray that type of attitude because the stereotypes are already negative. This guy was a fuck wad!! Plain and simple!! BTW...one thing that shows how moronically stupid and ignorant this shit head was, is that fact that he used the word "fag" as an insult. I hate jerkoffs who do that!!

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    nothing beats wrapping a 2 1/2 pound weight in a towel..and while he is doing a set of his monster squats come up from behind and f*&%in drill him in the back of the head.

Opps sorry got a little carried away..Have to check myself into anger management again. LOL

Now seriously, take everyones advice here...he is the classic case of low self esteem..he has to put you down to bring himself up. I would personally ignore him but if you have to say something to him try this...

"hey buddy I may not be big right now but i can get big..but unfortunately for you, you will always be ugly"

ironmike7000 is offline Associate Member
    Don't let some f*cking asshole discourage you. Ignore him.Simple as that. I've seen alot of those type of guys come and go.You just keep on training . As you get bigger and stronger you will see less of them.Just remember one thing, when the day comes that you are the biggest and baddest of them all and you see that new guy struggling to lift a weight thats your warmup weight.Don't laugh or make fun of him. Give him a spot and a word of encouragement. Don't you become that asshole. :

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I'd tell him to step outside and say it again and see what happens. After I was done kicking his ass, I'd beat up his girlfriend.

Tedmax195 is offline Member
    sounds like your buddy has a little bit of a self asteem problem. i would do what everybody else said and ignore him because everybody else in the gym probably thinks he's a ass too. that's pretty sad because at my gym i'm surrounded by guys 280lbs down to 130lbs and everybody is comfortable in the gym i go to i guess i'm pretty lucky. i would just feed off of him making fun of you and that should make you work out that much harder.
    Good luck in your training!!!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Thanks everyone !

You guys are "Da Bomb".

I will do just that, ignore him. He's new at my gym and I think I know why, probably the last gym he was at he was just as much a jerk and the management threw him out.

What i found so funny was why a new person would do this in a gym, it starts him out on the wrong foot. As I said I have been working out at my gym for 3 years now, and I am one of the friendly guys in the gym, everyone, young-old-big-skinny comes up and says hi to me.....I'm just that kind of guy. I am good with names and usually remember them and am a people-friendly person (comes from my years of working at a Supermarket as an Asst. Manager).

By the way, the fag thing I found especially funny since I am gay (and everyone in the gym knows it, I am out and non-chalant about it, so everyone else is too) and for him to use that as a put down was especially insulting, but kinda funny too. Showed me how insecure he was......should have said "it takes one to know one" LOL.

Again guys, thanks for you advise and your welcome to the board. You guys are "Da Bomb" :-)

Thread Information