Thread: 20 Rep Squats

Harvey Balboner is offline Retired Moderator

20 Rep Squats

Anybody ever tried the 20 rep squat routine? What are your thoughts?

I personally love it, most intense exercise I've ever done. I almost puked after finishing, and was seeing spots.

For those of you who don't know, the idea came from a book called Super Squats by Dr. Randall Strossen. What you do is take your 10 rep max weight for squats and by deep breathing and just sheer will power you force yourself through 20 reps 1 set only for leg day, the finish off the 20 with light chest pull overs, for rib cage expansion.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I have used it for a few weeks a few times over the years. It's good but I find my shoulders don't like it.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i love it as well, but i was noticing as i went up in weight, it was harder for me to get down far enough on the last five to ten reps, so right now, i'm working on strengthening the lower position and when i'm ready will go back to 20 rep squats

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    I like doing 20 rep squats....I'll do them for about 2-3 weeks in a row, then go back to a conventional pyramiding rep scheme (going up in weight and decreasing amount of reps with each set) and i find im alot stronger.....great for adding muscular endurance and breaking past plateaus.

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    I never tried it. Should you use correct form throughout all 20 reps. Seems rather hard if your working with your max 10 rep weight. Not sure if I could do that. Once you accomplish this I guess you cannot consider that weight to be your 10 rep max anymore

it's not as simple as just doing 20 reps with your 10 rep max, at the top of each rep, your supposed to take three deep breaths, this may seem like it makes it easier, taking a few seconds in between reps would get you through to the 20 reps, but i find it makes it harder as your upper body really gets tired around rep 15 and its a major struggle just to hold the weight on your shoulders, and yes, all the way up all the way down on every rep, if your not going to parallel, it doesn't count as a rep

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    Did it for the first 6 months when I got serious about lifting and it was the most intense torture knowing that once a week I'd have to put myself though that workout...

I gained about 40lbs my first year of serious lifting naturally and most of it came during the 6 months I followed this program...

This one is not for the weak of heart...

Harvey,

Did you superset dumbbell pullovers after every set of squats too?

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Balboner
    Anybody ever tried the 20 rep squat routine? What are your thoughts?

I personally love it, most intense exercise I've ever done. I almost puked after finishing, and was seeing spots.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I love them plain and simple. But oh man to I dread the split second before I start.......I know I'm going to be seeing those stars. hahaha

Scott, I've always taken one single deep breath after each rep. Once I make it to the tenth rep I take two deep breaths after each rep until I reach 15 then after each rep it's three deep breaths.

doing the three breaths makes it seem like the longest set in the history of the world! i get pins and needles in my arms and have to worry about the weight rolling off my back because at that point every stablizing muscle is almost completely exhausted

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    doing the three breaths makes it seem like the longest set in the history of the world! i get pins and needles in my arms and have to worry about the weight rolling off my back because at that point every stablizing muscle is almost completely exhausted
    Amen brother!

i'll never forget, the first time i tried it with 275lbs, on rep 17, on the way up i lost my balance and had to take a step forward and almost lost it! it's funny, but i can almost remember all the really hard reps towards the end, it's like a torture flashback or something

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I do them about once every 6 weeks........I hate them........it takes every ounce of energy and sucks it from your body......stomach knots up(so hard not to throw up after your done).....last 3-4 reps fill like friggin eternity.....it's hard to walk.......hard to get our breath......so NO I don't love them at all....hell I hate them, but they work......so just suck it up and do them........sheez I'm done now.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    I am glad I am not the only one who's shoulders fall asleep doing these.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    wow i wanna try em thursday but gyms closed **** xmas

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    these are..... o....k..

at the end of 20... do a couple more reps with a dropset

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    these are..... o....k..

geez, bigol, if you have the stamina to get more on dropsets, god bless ya! maybe it's from all the quality bathroom habits you have....

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    these are..... o....k..

D A M N bigol' u truely are insane.......I have nothing left when I get done with these.

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bornbad71
    D A M N bigol' u truely are insane.......I have nothing left when I get done with these.
    I havent tried them yet but I cannot conceive doing more reps afterwards.
    OUCH

trust me, after a set like that, you'd have to be a freak to be able to get more, **** i'm jealous of bigol'!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Its all upstairs guys... Ya its tough and the stuff makes you wanna puke/passout/cry..

But its gotta be done!

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    Hate doing them but love the feeling of waking up the next day and having a hard time getting outta bed. Its like my body's telling me, "okay I give in...you can grow now."

Thread Information