kypdurran is offline New Member

Question Workout / Cardio / Diet Critique Please

First I'd like to thank eveyone in advance for looking over my routine. My main goals right now are to increase my LBM, lose weight, and get my body fat % under 20%. Long term goal is to get body fat % under 10%.

6'1", 30 yrs old, approximately 30% bodyfat, 280lbs
    (I started started dieting in September. Weight at that time was around 350. Needless to say I was in sad shape. I started lifting and cardio again in October and have been ever since. Energy is through the roof. I played football for 12 years (Pre High School, High School, College) so I'm not a stranger to training but this time around I'm not training to be able to perform on the field.)

Weight Routine:

5 days a week
    M - Chest, Triceps
    (we usually rotate on M and Th doing bar exercises and dumbell exercises for chest. For example on Monday we do flat bench, incline, decline, then butterfly machine. Thursday we do flat dumbell, incline dumbell, etc.)
    T - Back, Shoulders, Biceps
    W - Legs, Abs
    Th - Chest, Triceps
    F - Back, Shoulders, Biceps

Cardio:

Walk / Run - 3.2 miles, 5 days a week in the evenings

Diet:

Basically a low carb mix between Atkins and Protein Power. I usually drink a low carb protein shake in the morning and for lunch, and eat chicken breast / lean beef and veggies for dinner.

I'm using Diet Fuel + Asprin for my E/C/A stack and also Yohimbee about an hour before lifting. In the afternoon I repeat the E/C/A. And in the evening about an hour before I go to sleep I take ZMA.

I know that juicing prolly isn't the best idea right now but I'm still kinda tempted to take a cycle of winny along with some clen . I still have quite a bit of weight to lose but should I be modifying any of the above to improve the efficiency of my workouts to increase weight loss?

Thanks again guys. Great board!

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    Great first post brother, and you should be commended for dropping 50lbs and having goals.

Yes...waiting to do a cycle would be better in this case because you are still capable of some extraordinary progress naturally. I personally prefer to work each body part once per week (allows adequate time for full recovery...especially if you want to increae LBM) but some differ. One thing I would incorporate into your lifting schedule is a variation principle. Every 4-6 weeks change the exercises that you use for each body part...this will bring differen't muscles and stabilizers into play and force the body to constantly adapt to stress (the body builds a tolerence to exercise very quickly...that's why many hit a plateau).

Cardio looks good, but if possible try to to cardio first thing in the morning on an empty stomach. At that time the body has used most of the carb stores to sustain it for a 6-8 fast (sleep) so upon waking it taps into the next most readily available energy source...stored body fat.

Diet....needs a little work. You should be eating 6 equal, small meals per day. By doing this you keep your metabolism high and keep the fat burning process alive. I don't like using an ultra low carb diet (most on the board don't)...to burn fat you should incorporate a high protein, moderate carb, moderatly low fat regime such as 50% protein, 35% carbs, 15% fats. For your body wieght 2500-2800 calories should help you drop fat (lose FAT not wieght). So your breakdown would be 1400cals protein, 980cals carbs, 420cals fats OR per meal allowence of 233cals pro, 163cals carbs, 70cals fat. Break that down into grams = 58g protein, 40g carbs, 8g fat.

Foods:
    Proteins: chicken, lean beef, tuna, ALL fish (seafood), turkey, egg whites, some nuts and a good whey protein powder

Carbs: brown rice, wheat pasta, whole wheat breads/bagels (moderation), oats, fruits, veggies

Fats: fatty fish (salmon, herring, mackerel), olive oil, avacado, egg yolks, flax seed oil, natural peanut butter.

This list is incomplete, obviously, but shoulod give you a good idea Good Luck bro...let me know if I can help.

Shredz is offline Respected Member

Re: Workout / Cardio / Diet Critique Please

Originally posted by kypdurran
    [
    Weight Routine:

5 days a week
    M - Chest, Triceps
    (we usually rotate on M and Th doing bar exercises and dumbell exercises for chest. For example on Monday we do flat bench, incline, decline, then butterfly machine. Thursday we do flat dumbell, incline dumbell, etc.)
    T - Back, Shoulders, Biceps
    W - Legs, Abs
    Th - Chest, Triceps
    F - Back, Shoulders, Biceps

[/B]
    every thing else seems to be good..but don't you think that this could lead to a little bit of over training..i don't know about you..but if i hit the gym monday tuesday wed thurs and then friday on the fifth day..doing shoulders back and bis..expecially the day after doing chest and tris..that would be impossible to train the hard.

how does this look to you.

monday chest and bis
    tueday off
    wednesday back and tris.
    thursday off
    friday legs hams and quads
    sat shoulders and traps

and then you fit in you calves and abs every 3 or so days.

you will make way more progress doing this and the rest of you plan. You seem to want to work on your upper body alot..with this you are giving it a rest day and at one time 2 days off before you hit it again...remember more is not necessarily better.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Kypdurran, brother Pete & Shredz just gave you about everything you could need! Does your diet fuel have willow bark in it? If so you don't need the aspirin. You may want to switch up your thermogenics after a while since some may work a little different. Also try to take the weekends off of your thermogenic so your body doesn't get used to them. I agree with Pete on morning cardio. If your main goal is bodyfat loss you will be hard pressed to make much lean mass gain. At this time you simply want to feed your lean mass and let your cardio burn your fat for fuel. Get a bodyfat (an accurate one) assessment done and find out what your lean mass is, how many calories are required and plan your diet from there. You definately need to fuel your body every 2.5-3 hours and plan your intake to account for your next 3-4 hours of activity. These guys are smart and you've come to the right board. Good Luck

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Yeah, the big push with the little pull routine and vice-versa that Shredz suggested is a good one. At the very least, if you're staying with push-push, pull-pull routine, I would suggest moving shoulders since they get taxed the day before with chest and need time to recover. However, the problem is that because you have such little breathing room in your 5 consecutive day plan, putting shoulders on any other day other than on chest day, results in hitting em two days in a row.

Besides the plan Shredz gave you, here's what I'm currently going with...

Day 1: Chest, Back, Shoulders
    Day 2: Legs, Abs
    Day 3: Biceps/Triceps
    Day 4: Cardio
    Day 5,6,7 is same as 1-3, but less intense, more volume.
    Day 8: Cardio
    Day 9: Off

The off day paired with a CKD carb load that I do on Days 8 and 9, gives me all the rest I need, and totally powered up for the next 3 days.

Thanks for all the great tips guys.

I figured that we were prolly overtraining. =)

dumbells I am taking asprin because the Diet Fuel doesn't have willow bark in it. E/C/A has been working great but I still can't help thinking that Clen would help even more. Since it really isn't an AAS would it hurt or help now?

I wanted to get another critique on our workout if you guys don't mind...

We switched from what we were doing to working 1 body part day each week. Every day we take each muscle group to total (or damn near close to total) fatigue.

*Weight Training*
    Monday - Shoulders
    Tuesday - Back
    Wednesday - Legs
    Thursday - Chest
    Friday - Arms

*Cardio*
    M - F by running / walking 2 to 3 miles.

My workout partner is wanting to monkey around with our current workout and switch shoulders and arms. I'm totally against it because on chest day I get a mild shoulder workout. (Both are 'pushing' exercises) I told him I would post here and get the advice of the experts before I was willing to change anything around.

An update on my progress...

I started on Xenadrine and the pounds are literally MELTING away! =) My waist has gone from 56 to 42. Weight from over 350 to about 270 now. Bench has skyrocketed to just under 300 pounds. My arms are forkin' huge. Feeling like a million bucks.
    I figure by July I will be a monster =)

PUMPING is offline New Member

the final....

Cutting

1 Chest - abs - Cardio
    2 sholders - Cardio
    3 Biceps/lower leggs - abs - Cardio
    4 FREE
    5 Triceps/Forarm - abs -Cardio
    6 Upperleggs - Cardio
    7 Back - abs - Cardio
    8 FREE