cleverlandshark2001 is offline Junior Member

Questions about EDT:

I have researched EDT training (thanks Warrior) and want to give it a try.
    I do have some basic questions though.

It says not to worry about rest intervals, so is that simply up to my own discretion? Whatever I need to perform more work?

Do warm up sets count as part of the protocol?

When during the workout DO YOU perform sets to failure (or does that not happen)?

Please guide me here:
    Sample: Hammer Strength Incline Press
    If I can do 315 x 10 reps...I should start by doing sets of 5?

Also, is this workout OK to do while cutting (reduced calories)? Do you recommend anything specific for diet that will coincide with this workout plan?

If you become exhausted by the end of the workout, do you decrease the weight to keep going...or do you rest until you can complete a rep or two?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I do it infrequently for arms. Here is what I do...

2, 20 minute supersets.

[S-1] Standing Barbell Curls
    [S-1] Standing Machine Rope Extensions

[S-2] Incline Cambered Tricep Extensions
    [S-2] Standing Cabered Reverse Grip Extensions

Both, S-1 and S-2 are done for 20 minutes.... not 18 or 19 - 20! No excuses and all out brutality - nonstop... back and forth. If you keep an eye on your form and keep yourself motivated and moving the pump is unreal. The rest between S-1 and S-2 depends on how long it takes for the pump to go down... it can take 5-10 minutes before I feel like I can start the S-2 portion. My arms get some engorged with blood that its hard to fully straighten them or even bend them all the way... so I take time to let the pump die and strectch it out. Usually 5-10 minutes... then you hit the second superset for the final 20 minutes.

The first 5 minutes on either portion normally isn't to failure. You just go through the motions warming up and setting the form... I try and just pump out 10-12 reps. Then when it gets difficult and I drop to less than 10 reps - I decrease the load. So in fact, it is like a huge drop-setting-superset Before I begin, I do knock out a few light warm ups just to set the stage. During the final 5 minutes you might find yourself becoming more explosive in your rep cadence... when the pain really kicks in and you are working off pure adrenelin - thats fine... just don't break form. If your form gets sloppy - lower the amount of weight you are using.

As far as dietary changes - this should reflect on your goals and your ability to tollerate this. If you aren't getting enough calories and working this intensely - you could burn out very quickly. One reason this should be reserved for more advanced trainees. If you work out like this and eat good - you can expect some nice gains in muscle size. I think this has been paramount to getting my arms up to the size they are now - I have made some nice improvements in the past few months using this routine. If you chose to do something like this while restricting calories, I would suggest keeping a heavy eye on overtraining and not doing it too often.

BTW - sometimes people ask you the infamous question, "Excuse me, how many sets do you have left?" Then you look at them dripping in sweat and showing your pain and say, "... about 9 more minutes!" Then they realize your in the gym to bust some ass - not stare at all the hometown hotties and chat up the place... then leave you alone! If someone asks to work in with you, you have my permission to run them over...

Thanks Warrior.
    I'm an experienced lifter myself (about 12 years in the game). I've spent way too much time lifting in the Heavy 1-6 rep modality, and adopting much of the Mike Mentzer Heavy Duty philosophy. I'm starting to realize that adopting an "Old School" approach will help change and LIVEN things up. I don't plan on doing the workouts outlined in EDT, but I'm adopting the philosophy and using in my new workouts (higher volume, lower frequency). In fact, I had my first workout tonight and it was AWESOME...I was psyched to change it up, and stayed psyched the whole workout and my muscles (even though in bad condition endurance wise) were maxed out like they haven't been in YEARS!!! I'll keep you guys posted. This is a welcomed change.

Thread Information