Beat is offline Associate Member

what to do when overtrained?

i love to workout with heavy weights, i use the most weight i can when i work out.. unfortunatly i feel that my body is far to little developed for my strength if that makes any sence.. now i have severe shoulder and forarm pains (mostly when i train biceps).. anyone have any suggestions for what i can do? should i go see a doctor? can i take any pills or something to recover from this?

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    I would start by taking a few days off. And then re-evaluating your training. Are you using proper form? Because when you are training biceps you shouldn't being using your shoulders for anything other then a stabilizing muscle. What does your workout currently look like? What is your diet like? How much rest are you getting at night? These are all contributing factors to overtraining.

As for as seeing a doctor. Well if it an injury such as a torn legiment or tendon. Then go see your Doc. Is there swelling in the area? Describe the pain?

Glucosamine is an excellent over the counter supplement that could possibly help with your situation. But you can't expect it to work over night. I personally find that I start to feel results from it about a month into using it.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    to add to what shredz said, it also might be that your muscles are developing faster than your tendons can handle, a good way to help them catch up is by doing heavy negatives after your sets along with doing at least 4 second negatives on your work sets

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    hmm i use to get server pains while doing curls on the side of my forearms and part of my hands, i dont think this had anything to do with over training, However it may have been caused by a slight muscle tear that i didnt really notice at the time.

Take Shredz advice and take a few days off and re evaluate your training.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredz
    I would start by taking a few days off. And then re-evaluating your training. Are you using proper form? Because when you are training biceps you shouldn't being using your shoulders for anything other then a stabilizing muscle. What does your workout currently look like? What is your diet like? How much rest are you getting at night? These are all contributing factors to overtraining.

As for as seeing a doctor. Well if it an injury such as a torn legiment or tendon. Then go see your Doc. Is there swelling in the area? Describe the pain?

Glucosamine is an excellent over the counter supplement that could possibly help with your situation. But you can't expect it to work over night. I personally find that I start to feel results from it about a month into using it.
    current workout:
    DAY 1: Chest + Back

DAY 2: Rest

DAY 3: Legs + Calfes

DAY 4: shoulder + bicep + tricep

DAY 5: Rest

DAY 6: Rest

DAY 7: Rest

theres no swelling in the area, i get the shoulder pains when lifting almost everything, its kinda like sombody bangs on your shoulders with a hammer and a baseball bat at the same time.. this makes it very hard to train pretty much every overbody muscle.. i´ve been on Glucosin and Kondrosamin now for at least 3 months and it helps while im on it, but as fast as im not taking it the pains come back.. this is just consuming alot of money for nothing as i see it.. i´ve also used AMINO Fuel from Twinlab..
    Glucosamine and Glucosin, are they the same thing?

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    If you have severe pains you need to back it off. The best thing would be to take time off, but if you not going to, you need to lighten the weights, and see if over time that relieves the pain. Banging away with heavy weights is gonna do nothing but worsen the problem.

Twiggy is offline New Member
    I agree with DARKSEID. You need to take at least 1 week off and then work on rehabilitating your shoulder. I had a popping sound with pain in my shoulder when I did bench and shoulder presses. I backed off and did 2 months of light rotator cuff exersices for my shoulders along with lateral raises. This helped me recover and strengthen my shoulder joints before I got back to heavy lifting. Now I can do bench and shoulder presses with no pain. You just need to back off for a bit. Sometimes that's the hardest thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Twiggy
    I agree with DARKSEID. You need to take at least 1 week off and then work on rehabilitating your shoulder. I had a popping sound with pain in my shoulder when I did bench and shoulder presses. I backed off and did 2 months of light rotator cuff exersices for my shoulders along with lateral raises. This helped me recover and strengthen my shoulder joints before I got back to heavy lifting. Now I can do bench and shoulder presses with no pain. You just need to back off for a bit. Sometimes that's the hardest thing to do.
    thing is i backed of for about 1-2 months not training shoulders at all.. this helped a little and the pains were almost gone but as fast as i began training shoulders the pains came back like a bad visitor.. and yeah it is realy a hard thing to back off.. i real dont want to do it again, but i´ll use that solution as the last way out if i have to..
    there must be some other way to heal??

talk to a physical therapist, there are a lot of exercise you can do with rubberbands that help heal and strenghten the rotator cuff and surrounding tissues

Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    talk to a physical therapist, there are a lot of exercise you can do with rubberbands that help heal and strenghten the rotator cuff and surrounding tissues

that i will do.. thnx bro
    i got another question that just popped up, how bad is it for the building of the muscle to drink alot of alcohol on new years? i mean i dont drink otherwhise..

hahaha, don't worry about it, drinking once in a while won't kill you, but if you're on cycle, avoid it at all costs, but one night won't kill you, just make sure you drink lots and lots of water today and get some electrlytes in you, gatorade is good

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Everybody has different pain threshold but usually one can tell the difference between good pain and bad. Like the bros above said take a couple days off, and then use strict form.

Thread Information