bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member

bench pressing routine?

Hey bros, I have a bench pressing meet sometime in February. So what kind of routine should I do to increase my 1 rep max on the bench? I posted this question in the powerlifting forum but I'm not getting much luck. Thanks!

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    the best routine i ever did for increasing my one rep max is a 6 week routine where you bench 2X a week, first, pick a weight that you can get for ten without a spot where you fail on the 10th rep, your first and second workouts, you do three sets of 10 with that weight, rest as long as you need to in between sets, next week add ten pounds and do three sets of ten, next week add ten pounds, do three sets of eight, next week, add 10 and three sets of 8, next week add ten, three sets of 6, next week add ten three sets of 6 looks like this:

week one 255 3X10
    week two 265 3X10
    week three 275 3X8
    week four 285 3X8
    week five 295 3X6
    week six 305 3X6

remember, each week your doing that twice

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Don't forget to work your triceps... this will help with lockouts, and you can do partials, triceps will raise your bench up no prob...also what scott said, that looks like a nice routine....

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Well it doesn't sound like you really have a clue what you're doing, so just go in and have fun. If you have a shirt you should start working with it.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Well it doesn't sound like you really have a clue what you're doing, so just go in and have fun. If you have a shirt you should start working with it.
    WOW.......what great advice........I'm sure the bro is so greatful u helped him so much with his question.

motocross308 is offline New Member
    my advice , go as heavy as you can for about 5 reps and 2 forced reps .i usually do 3 working sets .every 3rd week , do a set of heavy negatives .. just be careful and make sure you explode on the way up ! Wrok the tris and shoulders and i found havin a stronger back helps the initial push .

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    oh, yeah, i forgot to add the stuff about close grip and the heavy negatives, thanks for the pick ups, guys

bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the help bros! Saboudian your right, I'm no expert, but I do have a clue of what I'm doing. I just wanted to get some training advice from the more experienced powerlifters. Thanks again.

do alot of tricep strengthening, do a twice a week routine where you may do sets of 2- 3, do around six sets of 2-3. bot the greatest for definition but you will increase your bench.

Whatcha gonna do......

slobberknocker is offline Associate Member
    www.metalmilitia.net

Basically you need to train your weakpoints. Board presses and lockouts. Work on an arch and leg drive. Work on form. A PL bench is vastly different from a BB bench. And train in your shirt every week. If you don't have one, order it NOW. They usually take forever to deliver.

Thread Information