bigitaly is offline New Member

can women lift as hard as men?

My girlfriend and I are going to start working out together. She's in great shape muscularly and cardiovascularly. And, surprisingly, when we talk about our workouts we seem to parallel each other. However, I know nothing about what a girl should or shouldn't do when lifting.

Tomorrow will be our first day to lift together, and I'm worried about over-training her. My question is, are women able to lift as hard and as long as men? Or, because of hormonal differences (among other things) should they slight some of their weight training and do more cardio instead?

Lord Humungous is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigitaly
    My girlfriend and I are going to start working out together. She's in great shape muscularly and cardiovascularly. And, surprisingly, when we talk about our workouts we seem to parallel each other. However, I know nothing about what a girl should or shouldn't do when lifting.

Tomorrow will be our first day to lift together, and I'm worried about over-training her. My question is, are women able to lift as hard and as long as men? Or, because of hormonal differences (among other things) should they slight some of their weight training and do more cardio instead?
    Bro, you should know the answer to this one already

Women should train just like men, on a SLIGHTLY reduced level and ONLY slightly reduced if you have the feeling she can't handle it. Start her off slow, then work her into full hardcore split routines. Unless you want a bouncy cardio flabber for a girlfriend. After all, you CAN'T TONE WHAT YOU DON'T HAVE!

After she gets rolling, don't be suprised of she doesn't put you in the dirt trying to keep up. Women that have a tendancy to get into this stuff are NOT afraid of hard work.

And BTW, consider yourself lucky. My wife is as hardcore as they come bro, and it makes our lives SOOOOOO much less complicated. Plus I get a kick out of watching her out lift the 20 year old college boys at the local gym....the looks on thier face are PRICELESS.

Oh sorry, back to the point. If she's already in shape muscularly as you say, does this mean she is working out now or never has before? Either way, don't give her pink weights and rubber balls just because she is a woman. Throw her into the pit and give her some steel, and show her the correct form.

I'd keep her total sets a little lower to start, and about 4 days a week on. Have her increase the volume just as a man would. Of course because of hormones she won't be able to handle what a guy would, but she can work up and therein lies the key as we know.

Get her nutrition nailed down right from the start. Women are carb junkies by nature, be sure she's cleaned up.

Just aim her and pull the trigger, don't be afraid she'll break....she won't.

-LH

bigitaly is offline New Member
    Thanks bro. She already lifts hard, almost as hard as I lift. And she certainly does a WHOLE LOT MORE cardio than me. Knowing this, it will be fun working out with her. =)

cb25 is offline Banned
    LH nailed it...great advice. I used to train with my ex...and she was a great training partner and trained every bit as hard as I did...in fact she kept up with me (for the most part) on most lifts...i might have felt awkward about a girl lifting almost as much as me...if she wasn't chest pressing the 75lb DBs...

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Generally, lifting with a girl is not a good idea. more often than not it doesn't work out.

Thread Information