mekler is offline Associate Member

training shoulders & traps on the same day

well it's been a while and i'm glad to be back on the board... hope to get some assistance here

i'm trying to put together a new routine for myself.

i'm 5'7, 185lbs, enough bf (LOL), just took 8 months off from lifting (after 2 years straight) and i'm ready to go. i dont really have a specialized diet going, just a basic calorie cut (no fast food, soda, sugar, etc).

anyways, here's the routine i've created so far, 4 day split, M T Th F

Mon - Chest
    Tues - Back
    Wed - Rest
    Thur - Legs/Shoulders
    Fri - Arms
    Sat & Sun - Rest

do you all train your traps on shoulder day or back day? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mekler
    well it's been a while and i'm glad to be back on the board... hope to get some assistance here

i'm trying to put together a new routine for myself.

i'm 5'7, 185lbs, enough bf (LOL), just took 8 months off from lifting (after 2 years straight) and i'm ready to go. i dont really have a specialized diet going, just a basic calorie cut (no fast food, soda, sugar, etc).

anyways, here's the routine i've created so far, 4 day split, M T Th F

Mon - Chest
    Tues - Back
    Wed - Rest
    Thur - Legs/Shoulders
    Fri - Arms
    Sat & Sun - Rest

do you all train your traps on shoulder day or back day? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all!
    I train them on Shoulder day but I can certainly understand the debate

Shud is offline Associate Member
    in your case with the back day...
    legs and shoulders is a big workout...
    or maby train on either sat sun aswell and do shoulders traps on one of those days...

oh...i do them on shoulder day by the way....

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    I train traps with shoulder, every so often put it in with back.

monkeyjuice is offline Member
    traps is my muscle to excersie......i love them

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i eliminate the problem by training on an upper/lower split

cb25 is offline Banned
    I've done both, and gotten good results on each. I'd say, for you, to do them with back, as legs and shoulders is a hefty workout. Either that or add in an additional day, saturday or sunday where you hit small muscle groups - traps, calves, forearms, etc...

Currently I'm doing them with shoulders, but that's because my split allows me to do shoulders by themselves with traps and calves

LM1332 Guest
    yea i would deffinatly hit your traps on the same day. I personaly think its better that way

mass junkie is offline banned
    I do shoulders and traps on the same day as well

ShYnE[sK] is offline New Member
    do you all train your traps on shoulder day or back day? any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all![/QUOTE]

I hit my traps on the same day that i do shoulders. but you could also do them on back day it just depends on which day takes you longer, meaning the shorter your stay in they gym, whilst doing all your sets/reps correctly and sufficiently, the better.

thanks for the replies everybody. anyone care to share their routine? not sure if that should be another thread... shoot me a pm or post it. thanks again

alright well here's what i came up with so far... i'd like to get some opinions on it.

Sun - REST
    Mon - Chest
    Tue - REST
    Wed - Back/Shoulders
    Thu - REST
    Fri - Arms (Bi/Tri, maybe some forearms)
    Sat - Legs

someone said that i might be workin the shoulders a bit too much, what do you all think?

Swellin Guest
    I can see your reasoning behind doing back and shoulders on the same day, but there is no way I could do it. I wouldleave shoulders on Wed, and move back to Tues. I love following chest with back (they make one hell of a superset if you ever want to try it). Back is one of my favorite days. I put my deads on back days, and there is no way I can workout legs the next day, so you have a nice break in there, that will work for you.

or you can put tris with chest on monday and back and bis on wed....then u have fri for shoulders/traps, sat legs...

Swellin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shud
    or you can put tris with chest on monday and back and bis on wed....then u have fri for shoulders/traps, sat legs...
    I have done that, but I found that I could not give the second muscle enough focus after hitting the first real hard. It is a viable alternate (and one that works), but be mindful of the fact that the muscle you work second will not get the same kind of workout it would on a day by itself.

yeah i agree swellin, my old split was chest/tri & back/bi but i just couldnt go all out for my arms after everything else was done... thanks for the reply tho shud.. much appreciated

i see what you guys are saying...i just think thet shoulders/back is way to big of a workout for one day....
    maby run like this then...
    Sun - REST
    Mon - Chest/bis
    Tue - REST
    Wed -Shoulders/traps
    Thu - REST
    Fri - back/Tri
    Sat - Legs
    this way there is enough time for bis and tris to recover when u hit chest and then back again

Roidfever is offline Associate Member
    I don't like to train my traps after my delts- or back-workout. I train them on saturdays, apart from all the other muscles. I get a much better pump, my grip is better and I lift a lot heavier!

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    either back or shoulder day.. my routine right now has me doing them with shoulders- thats legs and shoulders to include traps... it usually only consists of heavy shrugs, then a drop set to failure of up-right cable rows... traps are one of my favorite parts to train- an dit shows...

Thread Information