Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member

Does anyone else get nauseated when doing legs?

Hey guys I have always felt alittle nausia when doing legs. Tonight it seemed like it was worse than normal, almost puked my guts up and didn't even want to eat after my workout. People have told me this happens sometimes when you work your legs really hard! Only happens on my leg day though, never on any other muscle group! Does anyone else have this problem? If so does anyone have an answer on how to improve on this? Does anyone have a scientific idea how or why this happens? Any input would be helpful!

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian30
    Hey guys I have always felt alittle nausia when doing legs. Tonight it seemed like it was worse than normal, almost puked my guts up and didn't even want to eat after my workout. People have told me this happens sometimes when you work your legs really hard! Only happens on my leg day though, never on any other muscle group! Does anyone else have this problem? If so does anyone have an answer on how to improve on this? Does anyone have a scientific idea how or why this happens? Any input would be helpful!

haha just playin...

I belive it is because the pump that you get in your legs draws the blood away from your stomach.. making food in there less digestable..

but im just guessing haha...

I actually eat a small portion of oatmeal before a leg routine with my protein shake and it seems to help.

Swellin Guest
    I have the same thing happen to me. When you work legs, you work your entire body...it will tax your body more than doing a full upperbody workout.

Another reason is the movement. Squats get me worse than anything. You don't move that much and use so many muscles doing anything else in the gym...maybe clean and press...but that gets me sometimes too.

I require more sleep the night after a leg workout than I do any other time. It just drains the whole body so much more than anything else you do.

tatty is offline Member
    Hmm, something to do with the lactic acid? That's a shot in the dark, I am no doctor. Now where's Doc M....

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    I puke on heavy leg days, i am able to go extremely heavy, but i get sick at the gym and barf... I've become custom to it...just another day, i think it happens to everyone.. Do you eat right before the gym, sometimes if you eat, and go do legs the food isn't digested and what the bros said above it will, make you sick...

yea, where's the doc..he'll explain it better bro

VforVendetta is offline New Member
    So my non-scientific, personal experience guess would be one word : pressure.

The way I see it is that during the most powerful leg movements - squats, leg presses - you're putting a tremendous amount of pressure on your entire body but it is mostly focused in one place - your mid section. You have 350+ on your back getting ready to squat, you're taking in air increasing the inner pressure on your lungs and organs then you bend your body in half. All that pressure being exerted and reapplied again and again has to send your stomach into an uproar.

Yes, I did eat something before I did legs just to give me some energy. That could be the contributing factor. Thanks for you input guys, I appreciate. Thank goodness today is arms!
    Last edited by Sicilian30; 01-14-2004 at 09:21 AM.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I personally use it as a goal! I strive to exert myself on anybody part to the point of nausua. I did a piramid program where I would be sick and laying on the floor after everyworkout.

I also have had times where eating or drinking a shake to early, and too close to a workout causes illness.

SID

Beat is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicilian30

i get the same thing when working out legs.. what i do then is to drink less water since i think it supports this puking feeling..

still growin is offline Member
    I do occasionaly spew in the parking lot after deads and squats. You are working the largest muscles in your body, legs and back. It requires an incredible amount of energy, and is somewhat overwelming to your body. Get used to it, I guess!?

Swellin Guest
    Another thought.....combine the theories about the amount of energy expended, the amount of muscles being worked, and the "pressure"idea, and you can see how it might affect your BP while doing legs. How about the pressure in your brain when you are squatting or doing leg presses? That is almost enough to cause a vein to rupture. I would think that this is the reason for the light headedness. Have you ever been seriously light headed and not had the nausea go along with it...not me.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    yeah i get the same way with my leg day, so much so that i dont even want to eat afterwards. i try not to have anything in my stomach on leg day, usually wait about an hour and a half after i eat to do the workout. i've been taking it easy on how much water i drink during the workout as well like Beat said.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    From my understanding, it is the lactic acid that causes that ****ty feeling. Runners get that way also. They'll puke if they have been running a long time.

Lactic acid is our bodies' way of saying, "STOP!!" I could bulls**t some more but it has been a while since I reviewed this topic. I suggested looking up lactic acid if the topic needs more explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by swellin
    Another thought.....combine the theories about the amount of energy expended, the amount of muscles being worked, and the "pressure"idea, and you can see how it might affect your BP while doing legs. How about the pressure in your brain when you are squatting or doing leg presses? That is almost enough to cause a vein to rupture. I would think that this is the reason for the light headedness. Have you ever been seriously light headed and not had the nausea go along with it...not me.
    i have swellin... plenty of times..

I once passed out after a LOOOOOONG hack squat set... got off and stood up.. and dropped... hehe

I guess i shoulda breathed heavier... HAHAHA

Thanks again for the advice fellas.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Hell ya.. Happens at least 1 a week to me.. Hate that feeling

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    i have swellin... plenty of times..

I once passed out after a LOOOOOONG hack squat set... got off and stood up.. and dropped... hehe

I guess i shoulda breathed heavier... HAHAHA

that is when bigollegs lost his virginity

Quote Originally Posted by ElliotNess
    that is when bigollegs lost his virginity
    ya... I became a legomaniac..... HAHAHA

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Barfing='s awesome leg day but not so pretty site.

Thread Information