farrar is offline New Member

Need Help With Chest Workout

I need some help with my chest workouts. I seem to be progressing in other body parts but not in my chest. I am 42 years old and started my 4th cycle of 1000g of test Enanthate and 450mg of Deca about 3 weeks ago. I train one body part per day Monday through Friday. I also do chest on Monday so I have had 2 days of rest when I do chest. I usually do 5 exercises with 3 sets for each exercise. Here is what I am doing:

Incline DB Presses with 80#, 85#, and 90# for 12, 10 and 8 reps respectively.
    Incline Flyes with 60#, 65#, and 70# all 3 sets 10 reps.
    Flat Bench; DB with 70#, 75, and 80# for 10 reps on all three sets.
    Flat Flyes with 55#, 60#, and 60# again for 10 reps all 3 sets.
    Dips-3 sets with body weight and usually 12, 8, and 5 reps {bad…I know}
    Cable crossovers with 45#, 50#, and 55# for 15 reps all three sets.

This is usually what I do. I don’t do much decline at all as I have read that a lot of guys don’t do them and they make the nipple/pec point downward? I seem to be much stronger on incline presses but seems like the women at the gym have a better flat bench that I do. I have been training about 16 months although I did have 2 surgeries in that time frame that kept me out of the gym for 6-8 weeks each time. I have always used dumbbells on chest day since the guy who helped me in the beginning said dumbbells were more for bodybuilding whereas barbell moves were for strength.

Any help would be appreciated.

Farrar

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Thats quite a few exercises, I assume you are training more for physique and not as much strength... dumbells are excellent and i switch up my routine quite a bit, from barbell to dumbell, to keep shocking my muscles...

Thats what i'm getting at if you have been doing those same exercises for a year and a half, you need to change your program up.. If you havn't been adding weight to your routine, that usually means Your muscles are getting used to the same movements and weights... Try and rotate exercises around... Also it is a good idea to train triceps with chest (they are involved greatly with any pressing movements) Also i see you are questioning your strength, you are doing over 100 repetitions for your chest on one day, lighten this up a bit in favor of going heavier... instead of doing 3 sets of 10 reps try 4 sets of a heavier weight but only go 6-8 reps for a while, this will shock your muscles because you are adding weight and dropping reps... decline presses are an important exercise, you should develop all three parts of your chest...

For example

flat bench dumbells (add 5-10lbs of whatever you are doing) and go 6-8 reps..maybe a few forced reps if you can
    incline presses barbell (same as above)
    incline dumbell flys/cable flys (once again add weight and lower repititions)
    decline presses (try going light with these, if you havn't worked these out you'll know what i mean)
    throw in tricep exercises (tri-extensions, dips, skull crushers, close grip bench presses)

In all, just try and change your routine up a bit to shock your muscles...

good luck bro...hit us back if you need any other advice
    Last edited by monster.; 01-13-2004 at 02:54 AM.

farrar is offline New Member
    Thanks for the advice. I will try this over the next 4-6 weeks and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!

Farrar

Thread Information