Thread: sets and reps?

eggplant is offline Member

sets and reps?

hi guys..pls enlighten me on the sets and reps to do when on a cutting diet.
    i understand that when cutting up..we would want to lift heavey as usual to maintain the amount of muscle mass..but do not want to overtax it..so wat would be the recommended amount of sets and reps to follow? Also, the gym i go to opens at 8am..and my class starts at 9am..so i can't do the morning cardio on empty stomach. i work out after class in the evening..how am i able to do my cardio? i don't have access to a threadmill at home..

still growin is offline Member
    For cutting up, you want to concentrate on isolation exercises. Basic exercises build mass, like bench press, deaed lift, squats, shoulder press, etc. Isolation exercises include preacher curls, side rasises for shoulders, flies for chest, leg extensions, etc. Slightly higher reps than mass building. for mass, 5-10 reps. For cutting 10-15 reps. Also, diet is as important or even more so than traing. Concentrate on cardio, watch your carbs, and try to increase protien. How about a jog or bike ride outside?

mekler is offline Associate Member
    personally for me, my workout doesnt change whether i'm bulking or cutting.. just the amount of weight that i'm lifting. as for the cardio... why do you need to go to the gym to do cardio? i'd say just get up early and go for a run or pick up a jump rope.. bike is a good idea as well

but in the case of a jog outside the gym..i wouldn't be able to monitor my heart rate..wat if the intensity of my jog is too high,and i failed to notice it..?

Jackman is offline Banned
    theres some cheap heart rate monitors attack to you wrist like a watch check them out

oh there is?? ok i'll go look for one..thanx bro..if that's u in the avatar..ur one big guy..

LostUp is offline Associate Member
    My workout dont change either

MMC78 is offline Senior Member
    Depending on your volume your doing and how many carbs you're consuming you may want to decrease your volume slightly. Try to avoid burnout.

LM1332 Guest
    workout shouldnt change but you should cut down on calories and simple sugar intake and boost up your protein intake. So that you will burn more calories that you eat and at the sametime protein will keep your muscles save from been canabalized

oh ic..i was thinking of maintaining 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps with 3-4 exercises on my training..is this too much intensity?

Quote Originally Posted by 50%animal
    workout shouldnt change but you should cut down on calories and simple sugar intake and boost up your protein intake.
    You really think heavy basic exercises will cut you up faster and more than isolation exercises? It MAY work for youi, but for 90% of the population you WILL notice a difference..

sigrabbit is offline Member
    lower bodyfat cuts you up, not a specific lift.

Quote Originally Posted by sigrabbit
    lower bodyfat cuts you up, not a specific lift.
    This is true. But to develop striations across your muscles (small lines and details), you need to have muscle mass as well as low bodyfat %.

sigrabbit is offline Member
    And that's why you continue heavy compound exercises, to gain size and strength. However, you should definitely mix in concentration or isolation movements to shock the muscle and achieve further development.

LM1332 Guest
    yea but dont over shock it. maybe do it once a month unless your on juice even then dont

Thread Information