Anabolics
Search More Than 6,000,000 Posts
    Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer

Real basic workout while cutting

Want some input on this idea for a workout I just got.

Its REAL simple

Squats 4 sets
    Chins 4 sets
    dips 4 sets

that 3 times a week, would that be a good shock for the body? I will run it for 4-6 weeks depending on how long I keep increasing in strenght.

I was thinking

Day 1 doing all the exercises for 4-6 reps
    day 2 rest
    day 3 doing them for 8-10 reps
    day 4 rest
    day 5 doing them for 10-12 reps
    day 6 and 7 rest
    repeat

I will do this while cutting. Kcal will be around 2300-2500 kcal, will do 30 minutes of cardio after each workout and I will run this cycle alongside

1g test/week
    50mg winny day
    5 iu slin post workout 2 times a week

Do you think that workout will overtrain or undertrain me?
    I would add straight legged deadlifts to if it wasnt for a back injury I have.

or maby rows instead of chins to get some trap work.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i would say you would need to up the reps on the squats, your lower body can handle way more than your upper body, unless of course your going very heavy

Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    i would say you would need to up the reps on the squats, your lower body can handle way more than your upper body, unless of course your going very heavy
    Cant go heavy in squat cause of the same injury, or well I could probably go heavy but I dont dare right now cause if i lose my arc just for one moment it feels like someone stabs me in my ass if i had a rack or a spotter I would probably go heavy hum.

well, other than that, i love that workout, i actually do something very similar every time i get bored with my routine, usually about once every few months

Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    well, other than that, i love that workout, i actually do something very similar every time i get bored with my routine, usually about once every few months

Nice, do you get good results with it??

i don't grow as much, but what it does, it kinda acts like a primer, heals up my shoulder and elbow and knee and hip joints so when i go back to a regular workout, i feel rejuvinated and usually get a growth spurt right away

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Thats a very interesting split. I have not tried it, and i must admit I am a lil skeptical. The only thing that I might change is that I think 4 sets is a bit much for one exercise. I would possibly consider dropping the squat to 1- 20 rep set and changing the other exercises to 1 straight set.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Thats a very interesting split. I have not tried it, and i must admit I am a lil skeptical. The only thing that I might change is that I think 4 sets is a bit much for one exercise. I would possibly consider dropping the squat to 1- 20 rep set and changing the other exercises to 1 straight set.
    The HIT approach to training has never realy worked for me, I find that 3-4 worksets on a exercise is optimal for me. But you might be right considering Im going to do those exercises 3 times a week. Hum have to think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by johan
    The HIT approach to training has never realy worked for me, I find that 3-4 worksets on a exercise is optimal for me. But you might be right considering Im going to do those exercises 3 times a week. Hum have to think about it.
    Ya, I understand what you're saying. The reason I suggested that approach is because since you're dieting, the best thing to do is to get in and out of the gym as fast as possible. This is a split that does that which is what I like about it. I just suggested lowering the volume a lil bit because its gonna be hard to get 3-4 good sets dieting. In this case I think it would be better to haul ass on that one set, and move on instead of doing the next couple sets half-ass. And you gotta remember that the more sets you do per body part, the longer its gonna take to recover which is already gonna be hindered by restricting your calories. And by doing only 1 set per exercise, you should have acheived your goal of stimulating that muscle to its full extent, if you added another set for that exercise, you really/probably can't take it any farther as far as stimulation is concerned, you would just be driving yourself into a longer recovery time, which is an important aspect while dieting and a tough one to judge. If you still feel alright, you can always up the frequency of your workouts a lil bit.

Just a suggestion, I mean heck if you're not in a hurry, you could try both approaches, thats probably the best thing you can do. The most important thing about dieting is to try things so you can learn your body.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    I've treid it before,, not a bad idea while cutting...i didnt ttry that exactly but osmething simalair. I didnt get any results, except fatloss. No muscle growth. But it gives your body a good break, so when you come back into lifting you r muscles get an immediate shock, and grow like scott said

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Ya, I understand what you're saying. The reason I suggested that approach is because since you're dieting, the best thing to do is to get in and out of the gym as fast as possible. This is a split that does that which is what I like about it. I just suggested lowering the volume a lil bit because its gonna be hard to get 3-4 good sets dieting. In this case I think it would be better to haul ass on that one set, and move on instead of doing the next couple sets half-ass. And you gotta remember that the more sets you do per body part, the longer its gonna take to recover which is already gonna be hindered by restricting your calories. And by doing only 1 set per exercise, you should have acheived your goal of stimulating that muscle to its full extent, if you added another set for that exercise, you really/probably can't take it any farther as far as stimulation is concerned, you would just be driving yourself into a longer recovery time, which is an important aspect while dieting and a tough one to judge. If you still feel alright, you can always up the frequency of your workouts a lil bit.

Just a suggestion, I mean heck if you're not in a hurry, you could try both approaches, thats probably the best thing you can do. The most important thing about dieting is to try things so you can learn your body.
    Yeah trial and error is the way to go. Previously the routine that has given me best results while dieting was westside powerlifting. But I dont have a spotter now and my back restricts me from doing the lower body workouts so I cant do the westside split now One of my all time favorite ways of training, insanely intense and harsh but **** it works!!

Hoss thats what Im hoping! Tricking the body then after a while destroy it so it doesnt have any other choise then to grow as a mofo

i tell you, it works great for me, even to just give my joints a break, it even seems to help them heel faster

Actually I was thinking about this last night, after I posted my last post. I'm not sure how you have your diet plan set up, but if cardio is a big part of it than you might want to watch out.

Training your legs 3-4 times a week while dietng plus if you're doing lots of cardio, especially running, you'll have to be very careful or else you will overtrain your legs big time and lose lots of mass on them.

Thread Information