Thread: Overtraining?

Ethereal is offline New Member

Overtraining?

my next training routine looks like this.

Monday
    Chest. 12 sets, 6-10 reps
    Shoulders 6 sets (2 on each head), 6-10 reps

Tuesday
    Hams 9 sets, 6-10 reps
    Calves 6 sets 6-10 reps

Wednesday
    Biceps 9 sets, 6-10 reps
    Triceps 9 sets, 6-10 reps
    Forearms 6 sets 6-10 reps

Thursday
    Quads 9 sets, 6-10 reps
    Abs 8 sets, 8-max reps

Friday
    Back 12 sets, 6-10 reps
    Traps 3 sets, 6-10 reps

Saturday, Sunday
    Rest

ill do deadlifts 2 times a week.. stifflegged on hams day and normal on back day. as you can see i work the upper region one day, and the lower region one day etc..

do you guys think this routine is overtraining?
    Last edited by Ethereal; 12-01-2003 at 12:11 AM.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    there are tons of different routines, but in my opinion, yes, you are overtraining, with that said, there are lots of guys on here who will tell you the exact opposite, bottom line, if you're making gains, and you enjoy your workout, then it's a good routine

rujulus is offline Junior Member
    Well your going to get a different opinion from everyone considering everyone's body reacts different, I personally would say your not overtraining but who am I to say what works good for you, I would also like to bring up the fact I was reading in Flex the other day Lee Priest brought up the fact that to him there is no overtraining his theory is that "overtraining" is just an excuse not to train..and if your muscle in contracting then you building muscle. I've personally been working out 5-6 times a wk. for the past 2yrs. and so far it has been working great for me.

RockWolf is offline New Member
    Just wondering...If each muscle group is only being hit once a week why would this routine be considered overtraining?

If anything I'd say is pretty standard amongst the workouts posted on this board. It seems to spread things out around the body to allow for recovery. The only thing really different is the 2-days off over the weekend. I've only just started but IMO I'd make sure at least one of the weekend days is spent with the routine. We all know how tempting it is to party over the weekend and working out really reinforces is my mind what I'm trying to accomplish. Also a day off throughout the week splits it up a little and provides a touch more recovery time after a huge workout. Say for example Tuesday is huge, Wednesday would be good to take off to help the body recover.

RW

decadbal is offline Banned
    over training is a myth, look at what pros do, and so on. lee preist, jay C., dorien yates, they do way more, and they dont over train. thats just a excuse ppl use with no heart. dont be one of them bro.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    if you believe anything that a pro bodybuilder says about himself in a magazine, i've got some property i'd like you to take a look at.
    of course you can overtrain, most people who lift do, in my opinion, i think it is overtraining for me because i only do one set to failure per body part per week, which works best for me, but, like i said, whatever works for you, works for you, just after years of trial and error, i find that this is what my body responds to best, i don't go by what someone who does 8 iu's of GH and slin and a gram of test and igf-1 everyday on what my training should be like

mcnst01 is offline Associate Member
    Sounds like a pretty common training routine. Doesn't sound like overtraining to me.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by decadbal
    over training is a myth, look at what pros do, and so on. lee preist, jay C., dorien yates, they do way more, and they dont over train. thats just a excuse ppl use with no heart. dont be one of them bro.
    And how many of those routines work for normal people?

FRANK WHITE is offline Senior Member
    Its definitely a lot of sets. I'm assuming your breaking down those high set amounts into seperate excercises, and thats the total of all the excercises for that particular muscle. But if your making gains and feeling good, not worn out all the time. Stay with it.

decadbal is offline Banned
    prolly everyone who uses it, look at what it can produce, i use ronnie colemans workout. it prolly dont work on the ppl who dont eat right, or dont have the heart or drive to be anything other than a loser who works out just say he does. or to talk to ppl at the gym.

Jackman is offline Banned
    hehe yea food is what got them so big. And also "food" is why they can train so long.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Sounds good to me. Everyone has different tolerance levels to training, find yours. I truly do believe over-training is hyped up way too much. I'd rather over-train then under-train. Just make sure to eat enough food for your body.

Peace and good luck

docflock is offline New Member
    I have pretty much the exact same routine. I find I walk the line between overtraining and just right. But that is what we want dont we, to push ourselves to the BRINK of overtraining, but not actually do it

Thread Information