Thread: workout advice

bigjb91398 is offline New Member

workout advice

I am working with a 15yr old high school kid who plays football. I have not worked with a person this young. He is presently 6-1 at 245lbs a soft 245lbs. His father is conviced that I need to work with his son on his chest. He does have strong legs but no upper body strength. His father has him doing 35 reps for 2 sets! Somebody tell me a good,safe workout program for somebody his age. He has no stamina at all.

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    LOL...this seems funny, You've been asked to train someone and you are questioning how to train him..haha... I hope you have some insight on weightlifting, so that he doesn't get injured when he goes.. This sounds bad but have you ever heard of the blind leading the blind?

Go with core exercises:

Bench Press
    Deadlift
    Squats
    Military Press

You should bring his dad with him and teach him a thing or two because he sounds like he is not familiar with any type of strength training..

2 sets of 35 reps is pointless for any exercise

bigjb91398 is offline New Member
    Ha ha! You are a funny guy! I was looking for some advice in traing an "out of shape" 15 year old. I have not worked with anybody this young, as I said in my post.

cb25 is offline Banned
    At his age, it's fine to start him weight training, but you need to focus on form and safety first. Teach him the right form now so he won't have nagging injuries etc as he continues to grow.

I would also definitely focus on the major strength movements like monster recommended. He needs to build his core strength for football, plus it will give him a better base for advanced training as he gets older IMO.

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjb91398
    Ha ha! You are a funny guy!
    The funniest thing is, I'm still laughing at you and not with you bud.. I see your concern with someone much younger, sounds like you have trained people in the past, but it doesn't sound like you are familar with any of it. At 15 his body is actually still growing, His growth plates have not closed yet.. If you push someone this young (70 reps per exercise) He runs the risk of bigtime muscle injury.

What would help is if you had some feedback as far as a routine that you thought of, but your shooting in the dark asking board members for ideas.. Show us a routine, something that you thought would be good, and we all will try to narrow down the good and bad ideas..

I'll keep on humoring myself untill you come correct

good luck bro

Thread Information