EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator

Knee surgery question

I have the option of going for surgery to remove some loose cartiliage from my knee.

My question is this: Has anybody had similar surgery? And how long did it take before you could do leg workouts?

I'd like to know because its optional surgery and I don't want to do it if I'll be unable to workout this summer. If I can't I'll wait until the end of summer so that I can recover during fall. Thanks in advance.

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    If you're having pain then have it removed. Arthroscopy takes about 2-4 weeks for healing and is reletivley evasive surgery. My doctor however has some loose bodies in his knee and the pain is minimal unless we overdue the squats. So he's not going to do anything. He said that if he were to start running or competeing he would have it removed. So it depends on the pain and your future plans. I say get it done, do the rehab, and start the glucosamine.

bravo11p is offline Associate Member

surgery

101 is right. Recovery is pretty easy and you'll be back doing legs after a few weeks, though lightly. The biggest concern about waiting is having your knee lock. Loose cartilage floats around the knee joint and can get caught in the posterior space where the PCL (Posterior cruciate ligament) crosses from the femur to the tib/fib. Thats bad if you happen to be in the middle of a squat and can't get the weight back up. Also, loose bodies can cause grating onto the femoral surface and that isn't good either. That leads to arthritis. With locking, your knee literally locks in place and you can't bend it. Not fun. Go ahead, get it done. Remember, everyone needs surgery, it's just a matter of when.

rexkishi is offline New Member
    i got scoped and i was playing tennis (not as my sport just for fun) the next week do it you will be fine. keep up the awesome post if it wasnt for you guys i would be lost.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    Thanks guys!

Chyna350 is offline Female Member
    Yeah go for it. I had surgery late October last, and I'm back to full work. I was walking, a little wobbling, that afternoon with the help of crutches. In 3 days I was walking fine unaided only had 3 visits to physio. When you go back to the gym just listen to your leg and you'll know how far you can go, before you know it, you'll be back in full swing.
    Cheers Chyna

justins82 is offline New Member
    i think you'll be just fine, i had a whole reconstruction of my knee with the replacement of my acl, removing my fractured knee cap, reparing my miniscus, and cleaning up the cartalige for my first surgery(lots and lots of rehab because the muscle had to be reattached to another location and the ACL) and recently i had my cartalige cleaned up again and was walking in a week and running and squatting in a month, as soon as you can walk start with leg raises with a weight attached to ur ankle and flexibility excercises to keep strength and flexibility in ur leg

Fullback57 is offline Associate Member
    I had my knee scoped in at the very beginning of March 2001, I was back in the gym in about 5 days (upper body), doing light legs (including physio) within 10 days of the surgery

Thread Information