solidj55 is offline Member

New(old) type of training for you guys. Kettlebells are F*@#ing unreal!!!

I dont know how many of you know about these but its an awesome workout. They basically give you a total body strength workout and the cardiovascular stimulation it gives you is crazy. There are numerous exercises to be done with these things but the bread and butter(and in my opinion the only needed) are variations of Cleans, Snatches, and Swings. I am by no means an Olympic lifter nor have I ever performed these, only hang cleans and power cleans for sports, but its a lot easier and a lot more natural to perform these exercises with Kettlebells. My form probably isnt the best or the most efficient but it is safe. I feel that it will improve through practice. I also have videos and a book to help learn the form. I plan to hit up a Kettlebell Workshop put on by Mike Mahler or Pavel Tsatsouline sometime in the spring. But I am telling you people, its hard core. You will be breathing hard as if you were running sprints and your body will feel totally whiped. Its awesome and today was my first workout. I can see where this would be an excellent conditioning tool. Its build explosiveness, full body strength, muscular endurance(all kettlebell ballistic exercises are done with high reps), and gives your cardio system a great workout as well. For the next 3-4 months I am going to drop the traditional style of weight training. My workout will revolve around KB's only for the first two weeks while I adjust to them then I will be adding some running and bodyweight exercises(mainly, pushups, pullups, situps). My main goals are to build up my muscular and cardiovascular endurance, drop bodyfat, and build some explosive strength. I am not worried about muscle or the way I look, I am training only for function, health, and bodyfat reduction. I am a police officer so my main concern is just all around physical shape. Plus I am considering throwing an application or two out there for other jobs(US Marshalls, US Prison System, etc) and all of them have pretty good physical requirements. Anyway, just wanted to drop a line or two about a new form of training that I have never seen on this board.

If anyone is interested in learning more about KB's there are numerous sites out there but the best ones I have found are the following.

www.dragondoor.com
    www.mikemahler.com
    www.redwhiteandbluefitness.com
    www.specialtactics.com

Ok I guess no one cares LOL.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Well, its because there have been threads about these before. I myself follow the general consensus of powerlifters that agree KB's are almost completely useless.

Why do you feel they are completely useless??? For carryover to powerlifting or bodybuilding maybe...But for functional strength, muscular endurance, some cardiovascular work, they are a good choice. For you and others that feel they are useless, have you ever used them??? I dont mean tried them out, I mean tried a routine with them before...If they are so useless then why does the military, SWAT teams, police/fire depts, martial artists, Olympic Athletes, NFL teams, etc etc use them?
    Not arguing just want to see why you feel that way.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I don't think they are useless. I don't have any kettlebells but I use dumbbells for three of the exercises that Pavel Tsatsouline had in his book. Freaking things flat out wipe me out. My heart feels like it will pop out my chest after the 5th or 6th set. I use those exercises at the end of a back or leg workout.

I like to try new stuff now and then just to keep my workout interesting.....nothing wrong with trying something new even if no one else thinks they are worth a crap.......we're all different so something effect us in differnet ways. If you like them then do em'. Track your progress and come back and let us know how it worked for you..........you just might change a few minds.

I just might have to take pics, keep logs, etc etc. Like I said this is my first week using them. My goals are not to look like a bodybuilder, I am strictly training for function. I hope in the process to lose bodyfat, but we shall see. Jugg, those exercises whipe me out too. I plan on only doing snatches, swings, clean/presses, and under the leg passes. I will do this in a cirucuit training fassion 3 days per week in the AM on empty stomach. Then three days per week I will dedicate to pushups,pullups,situps(using the ladder method) also done in the AM on empty stomach. I may throw in some running everynow and then just to see how my cardio responds to high rep KB work, depending on the weather

For sure keep a log bro......that's the only true way to know if what you are doing is working. I'll be interested in hearing back on your progress. If you're trying to shed pounds and this works I really want to read about it.

I be sure to keep you posted on the fat loss bro, and anything else I feel is worth talking about.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I am eventually going to get my lazy ass around to doing ne of those kettlebell workouts, maybe I will but Tsatouline's(sp) book first. Can the kettlebell workouts be adequately simlutaed with a regular dumbell?

Chica, yes you can do the exercises with dumbbells with little or no problem at all.....just when you do the ones where you swing the weight between your legs make sure you don't clip your knees. If you get the book you'll understand what I mean....kind of hard to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by solidj55
    Why do you feel they are completely useless??? For carryover to powerlifting or bodybuilding maybe...But for functional strength, muscular endurance, some cardiovascular work, they are a good choice. For you and others that feel they are useless, have you ever used them??? I dont mean tried them out, I mean tried a routine with them before...If they are so useless then why does the military, SWAT teams, police/fire depts, martial artists, Olympic Athletes, NFL teams, etc etc use them?
    Not arguing just want to see why you feel that way.
    KB's don't carry over into the other lifts.

What lifts??? They seem to have a great deal of carryover into the barbell version of the Olympic lifts. But as for the powerlifts(bench,squat,deads) probably not. The explosive strength you get from KB's I could see eventually having some carryover into your deads and squats. It would be somewhat subtle though. Just because they dont carry over into your goals or "lifts" doesnt mean they are useless. They are more or less used as a conditioning tool, getting the closest to the best of both worlds[strenght,endurace(cardio and muscular)] I am by no way being an advocate as I have only done two workouts, I have no idea what will come, but I do know that those two workouts were brutal, more brutal then when I squatted 340 for 20 when I was a powerlifter.

Quote Originally Posted by solidj55
    What lifts??? They seem to have a great deal of carryover into the barbell version of the Olympic lifts. But as for the powerlifts(bench,squat,deads) probably not. The explosive strength you get from KB's I could see eventually having some carryover into your deads and squats. It would be somewhat subtle though. Just because they dont carry over into your goals or "lifts" doesnt mean they are useless. They are more or less used as a conditioning tool, getting the closest to the best of both worlds[strenght,endurace(cardio and muscular)] I am by no way being an advocate as I have only done two workouts, I have no idea what will come, but I do know that those two workouts were brutal, more brutal then when I squatted 340 for 20 when I was a powerlifter.
    What I'm trying to say is that if you are a very strong powerlifter, the power will transfer into KB's and OLY lifting. You can lift all you want with KB's and OLY lifting but they will not carry over into your powerlifts.

As far as conditioning, it depends on what you are trying to acheive. There could be potential uses, but I'm not quite sure what they would be, I haven't heard of any yet, i suppose it could always be GPP.

One more question- What the hell were you doing 20 reps for as a PLer!?!?

Change up dude, 20 repers are good when you have just done a meet, taken a week off and getting back into training, its a good way to shock yourself. I know you lift WSB, I didnt, I lifted the old school way 3 day per week, push/pull/legs. It produced good results though, a 435(wraps only) squat, 365 bench(single poly shirt), and a 405 deadlift, all at 165lbs.

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    KB's are expensive right?

Yea a little expensive, I bought 2 of the 1 pood(approx. 34-36 pounds per bell) and I think it was like 170 dollars. They go up in price as the weight goes up. I also bought the book and video at 35 a piece. Its a good investment though. The thing is, you dont have to have two, there are plenty of exercises that you only need one. If I had that to do over again I would have bought one of the 1 pood(34-36 pounds) and one of the 1.5 pood (53-55lbs) instead of 2 1 pood.

Thread Information