ectogainer is offline Junior Member

Squats and Deads?

On my leg day my program tells me to do Squats and then Deadlifts right after. Does anybody think that that is too much? Should I split them up or will I be fine?

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    anything else? or just squats and deads? if its JUST squats and deads I dont see that as a problem.

try em and see how you feel.

ectogainer is offline Junior Member
    the full day is:
    Squats: ---2 sets warmup---8,6,4,2 rep sets (3 min rest)----Burnout with initial weight, superset with leg extentions (no rest)

Deadlifts:---- same exact set up as squats superset is leg curls

Then calves--strip sets

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    sounds easy enough.. do them both.

TheGame826 is offline Member
    do them both. and do more reps too.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGame826
    do them both. and do more reps too.
    Why would you do 8, 6, 4, 2 for squats? Especially with 3 minutes in between.

The point of the number of reps in a set is that you should BARELY be able to do the last rep. I use this type of progression when I am checking out where my max is for bench.

Squats are a very compound exercise. Three minutes gives almost full recovery. So you are going to have to put a ****-load of weight on the bar to be near failure of a set of two reps. It is also much harder to spot squats as compared to bench. Sounds like are essentially maxing out.

This looks like an easy way to get hurt unless you are a very advanced lifter working up to a personal best.

I do squats and deads together when I am bulking, but I do progressively heavier weights and try to get ten on each set. On the last set, when I am really going for it, I might only get eight and am pretty shakey on number seven and already pumping sweat on number 6.

docflock is offline New Member
    I have made incredible gains recently using a low rep scheme (8-4 reps) and long rest periods. Since new years i have put on 20 lbs of bodyweight and added 40 lbs to the amount i can squat 4 times. lifting heavy works.

Swellin Guest
    I hear ya...I get dizzy as hell with very many reps on squats.

Looks like you can do both squats and deads on the leg day.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    20 rep squats work the best imo, i like to squat heavy for reps, if that makes sense, and keep dead lift reps to 6 or under

bigdog81 is offline Member
    im game with scott...i like high reps on the squat..and low heavy on the deadlift..
    i can do both on same day..it makes me throw up...lol
    i get dizzy as hell

monster. is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't know how you guys can do squats and deads in the same day and not get burnt out? They are so similar in motion that why would you do them in the first place together.. I think what your thing is refering you to do is stiff-legged deads for your hamstrings.. Deadlifts are to much of the same thing as Squats that i wouldn't and couldn't for that matter do them both in one day.. LOL...I think it would be funny to see some of you guys try and train Squats and Deads on the same day.. I'll bring the buckets!!!
    Last edited by monster.; 01-23-2004 at 10:22 AM.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by docflock
    I have made incredible gains recently using a low rep scheme (8-4 reps) and long rest periods. Since new years i have put on 20 lbs of bodyweight and added 40 lbs to the amount i can squat 4 times. lifting heavy works.
    Doc-

There is no doubt in anyone's mind that you have to go heavy to get gains in mass. It is a psysiological fact. Your gains were from working in the 8-4 range and I am assuming a couple of warm up sets. This is pretty much the universally accepted way to make gains in mass.

Ecto was going to do sets of 8,6,4,2. My point was to get gains out of this type of work out you have to go REALLY heavy.

I agree with Scott and others. 15-20 will safely build mass.

Out of curiosity, I wonder what I would have to put on the bar to do a set of 2.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ectogainer
    On my leg day my program tells me to do Squats and then Deadlifts right after. Does anybody think that that is too much? Should I split them up or will I be fine?
    I don't ever include those 2 exercises on the same day. Those are your two biggest mass builders, I like to keep them separate this way maximum intensity and weights can be used.

Thread Information