Thread: How young?

Ironweb is offline Member

How young?

Got a question for ya all. My son is 11 and has been asking to go to the gym after baseball and start condition for football. Of course I am proud of the fact he wants to prepair like that at his age. My worry is, is 11 too young to do some lifting? I have read different articles that say not until 13 or 14. If I do let him lift some should I only allow machine weights? What are your thoughts/experence with this subject?

KeyMastur is offline VET
    11 does seem a young age to start hitting the weights. I'd let him run for now and wait til he's about 13 / 14 til he hits the weights. Those football coaches think that football is the top priority in school, so watch out, cause they'll have his ass doing power cleans when he turns 12.

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    11 is ok if you keep him on a very low weight more for fitness not bulk...And at the end of the day he will learn good form and technique which will help him in the future....

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Pushups, Pullups, Free standing squats, crunches. Not enough kids do em' and would rather plop in front of their XBOX's and eat all the wrong foods.

Embrace his enthusiasm and do some basic work outlined above with him for a half hour a day or so.

It's quality time together.
    You set a positive example for him.
    And it will show that you are taking an interest in his life.

Ironweb is offline Member
    Thanks for the input. I will watch out for the coaches Key. llbeastcd sounds like some good advice. Keep it light on the weights with reps around 10-12? Only machines I beleive would be safest.

Thread Information