Thread: ? on Drop Sets

Flaco is offline Associate Member

? on Drop Sets

Alright im kinda confused on how to perform drop sets. It seems like theres alot of reps involved.Please correct me if i am wrong.Lets take bench press for example. you start off real heavy for 4 reps,then 6,8,10(stripping weight off)Thats 28 reps alone so would you only perfom one set? or like this-

bex
    bex is offline Banned
    I do my normal bench press and when i have worked to my top weight i will then do drop sets all the way down....

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Yikes!

The way I'd recommend is that you do one or two drops at the most and make sure the drop isn't so significant that the first rep on the next weight isn't easy. i.e. that with the new weight you should only be able to manage 2 - 4 reps.

Like you say, doing it the way you described below leads to a great many reps per 'whole' set.

The number of reps in the first 'main' part of the set is down to personal preference - I like to keep reps above 8 but that's just my pref.

Good luck, don't do too many drops sets as they are very intense and you could easily overtrain bro.

def

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    Lots of different ways to drop sets. Cybergenics about 10 years ago advocated a 50% drop twice within the set to positive and negative failure. Do those enough times, you'll be screaming for a Taxi on leg days.

Depends on what your training cycle is. If looking for power, growth, and strength, drop sets could be counterproductive as they can tend to be more volume oriented, especially if you are doing more than 2 sets with a couple of drops (assuming the no rest drop is still part of the same set).

- LLB

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by llbeastcd
    Lots of different ways to drop sets. Cybergenics about 10 years ago advocated a 50% drop twice within the set to positive and negative failure. Do those enough times, you'll be screaming for a Taxi on leg days.
    Bro I remember those workouts! I HATED IT!

There is a lot of news in the fitness realm about volume training. Maybe something to it and maybe a trend that will be gone in a while. You have to experiment with weights, reps, and sets. For example if you perform a workout that taxes the joints maximally then you'll need a lot more time to recuperate, or you overtrain. Try both low rep drop sets and higher rep drop sets. Work for the same lb volume and see which you feel give a better workout.

As for cybergenics...don't forget the flex at the end of each set.

Thread Information