Swellin Guest

My rear delts suck!

It's time to try something different. Mine are being outpaced by the front and lateral delts. In fact, it is so bad that it looks like there is nothing back there.

Give me some ideas for rear delt exercises.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    you could try bent over lateral raises.. i think that's what they're called, or you could try bent over rows to the chest. both of those give my rear delts a real burn

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Prioritize them. Do them first in your shoulder workout. You will be suprised at how much this makes a difference.

tatty is offline Member
    I used to have pisspoor rear delts until I started prioritizing them. Bent over laterals, reverse pec-deck, or face down incline laterals all work wonders for them.

nostawk is offline Associate Member
    like the others said bent over rows and and using a cable machine. Its hard to explain how to do it when using a cable machine but you kinda just set it at waist high then stand there and pull it out so that your using your rear delt. Thats a crappy explanation but im sure you can figure it out

cjp85 is offline Member
    The reverse pec-dec is good. I work out at 24 hour fitness and a few of their locations have a rear-delt machine that works very good. Seated rows with a very high grip(about chin level) works pretty good for me.

Swellin Guest
    Thanks for the input guys. You are right, I need to prioritize them! The face down incline laterals are something I have not tried yet. As for the reverse pec dec...ha! Our lat machine broke today...it was the only machine inn the whole place that worked...it wasn't even a machine either. It is a cable style piece of equipment with a chain instead. Not much equipment in this place...free weights are about it.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I do rear delt lat. raises on a 45 degree bench, palms forward and squeeze at the top.

I start off with front delts one wk, then side delts the next, then rear delts the 3rd wk.......then repeat it over again.

Shud is offline Associate Member
    For sure bent over lat raises first.....
    i started doing that and i think it helped more whole shoulder routine....i felt a heaps bigger pump....

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    deadlift

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredz
    Prioritize them. Do them first in your shoulder workout. You will be suprised at how much this makes a difference.
    Agreed..mine were horrible at first, now since I work them first they're really starting to pop out.

Swellin Guest
    Just a little update...today was shoulders day. I tried the reverse incline flys. I did them first thing...wow! I was really weak on everything else after doing them. My shoulders burned quite well after that one exercise.

darb0210 is offline New Member
    Keep prioritizin' rear delts. Have you tried using a timed rest period? I like to do 5 sets of bent lateral raises (experiment with the form that works best for you) using a strict 30 sec. rest interval.

Swellin Guest
    More update...I am doing the reverse incline flys as my first exercise on shoulder day...it is already showing up. If you have not tried this...give it a go! Just be forewarned...you will not be able to do near as much on everything else that day.

It really drains me.

johnsomebody is offline Senior Member
    One thing I've always liked with dumbells is where you're sitting on the end of a bench bent over so your chest rests on your knees and doing back flies that way. I forget what it's called though! I like it cuz it eliminates any upper body swing.

Pwrlfter is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    deadlift
    I was going to say that ..... heavy deadlifts, like 4 sets 3-6 reps

LM1332 Guest
    i prefer the fly machine for my rear delts. I do 4 sets of the same weight for about 12 reps and first 2sets i go all the way with full stretch the other two i go all the way up but i dont go down as much only about 4 or 5 inches, kills me delts heh

Thread Information