VforVendetta is offline New Member

Higher Biceps peak?

My arms are coming along nicely in terms of size and thickness but they're somewhat flat and I was wondering what movements I could incorporate into my workouts to get a higher peak to my biceps? One thing I cant stand is big arms that looks about the same flexed as they do unflexed.

Currently I'm doing biceps on the same day as my back. My biceps routine consists of:

Preacher Curls 3 sets @ 8-10 reps
    Hammer Curls (with bar) 3 sets @ 8-10 reps
    Concentration db curls 3 sets @ 8-10 reps

thx.

Anyone?

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    instead of doing hammer curls, do a standard db curl where you turn your wrist during the movement, that will make your bicep peak

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Get new genetics...

Sometimes you just have to bend over to the fact that you do have genetic limitations to how your body develops and your potential in muscular shape.

Other than that - your routine looks like you are hitting the Biceps from a few angles. Just remember form and progressive training. Don't add more weight than you can use productively (such as Curling a weight you can come to a full extension with - see it often in the gym). And try and make improvements every workout in one of three areas: total time, load, or reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Get new genetics...

Sometimes you just have to bend over to the fact that you do have genetic limitations to how your body develops and your potential in muscular shape.

Other than that - your routine looks like you are hitting the Biceps from a few angles. Just remember form and progressive training. Don't add more weight than you can use productively (such as Curling a weight you can come to a full extension with - see it often in the gym). And try and make improvements every workout in one of three areas: total time, load, or reps.
    I haven't been *really* training for that long (off and on for a few years with no real commitment. The last three months I've been balls out with diet and intensity) so isn't it a little early to worry about genetics? I'm not trying to split hairs, I'm asking out of ignorance of when it's evident as to exactly what your genetic potential/limit is capable of.

Thx for the input.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Your routine looks good...You might wanna check out the thread in the lounge.., this guy I think is a moron, but has the hugest peak s i've ever seen....Never seen anyone swing and cheat like the way he does though !

I am not referring to genetic limits - but to your genetic disposition in muscle shape. Just look at the Olympia line up - they all have been training for many years - but none the look identicle. And the easiest difference is how they all have different shapes to their muscle bellies. Human beings are like snowflakes (I know that sounds gay) - no two are identicle. This is one reason why everyone won't make it to pro status... no matter how fine-tuned their training is or how much gear they take.

Worry about sticking to a program - make building a bigger and stronger body your ultimate goal for now... a lifetime commitment. Rather than trying to shape your muscles at this point. When you have built some quality lean weight, get some muscular maturity and then lower your bodyfat - hopefully the peaks you were looking for will develop as well. If not, thats just the facts of life IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by hoss827
    Your routine looks good...You might wanna check out the thread in the lounge.., this guy I think is a moron, but has the hugest peak s i've ever seen....Never seen anyone swing and cheat like the way he does though !
    - Yeah... Synthol can give you higher peaks 4 sure...

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    high cable curls helped bring out mine

LM1332 Guest
    close grip curlz

mac55 is offline Junior Member
    Try incline DB curls, but do not let the wrists turn in keep them pointing towrd the ceiling the whole time, even when they are at the bottom and the other arm is contracting

blanket is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrior
    Get new genetics...

we donno if this dudes got genetics or not just cuz he aint improved a body part. I say theres only one way to find out if you got pottential or not, TRYING HARDER and harder as Warrior said don add more weight, insted make sure you do your reps nice and slow. Its never about the weight.
    by the way bro here's my routine for biceps:

Barbell curls (wide grip) 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Barbell curls (closed grip) 2 sets 8-10 reps
    Seated dumbbell curls 3 sets 8-10 reps
    Peacher curls (decline) 3 sets 10-12 reps
    Last edited by blanket; 01-27-2004 at 02:34 AM.

BLACKZILLA is offline Associate Member
    There was an article in 'flex' I believe about what arnold did/does for his arms. One of the interesting things was a bent over dumbell curl. Same position and the db bent over row, but a curl keeping very strict form. Its hard to go heavy, but if you keep your elbow steady and slighty turn the pinky side of the db towards the outside of your arm at the end of the movement you'll get a very nice pump overall and it seems to hit the peaks very well. It sounds a little awkward maybe but it rocks!

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Use a low pulley with a rope attachment and sit on the end of a bench. Start with your wrists in a hammer curl position but as you get to the top turn your wrists in so your palms are facing up and pull the rope apart at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by zillano9
    There was an article in 'flex' I believe about what arnold did/does for his arms. One of the interesting things was a bent over dumbell curl. Same position and the db bent over row, but a curl keeping very strict form. Its hard to go heavy, but if you keep your elbow steady and slighty turn the pinky side of the db towards the outside of your arm at the end of the movement you'll get a very nice pump overall and it seems to hit the peaks very well. It sounds a little awkward maybe but it rocks!
    I'm confused, this sounds just like a concentration curl which i'm already doing.

Standing (least I do them this way), "off arm" bent forward on a chair for support. Twisted at the waist to allow the arm to hang straight down and curling very strictly to the deltoid, turning the palm up. Is this what you're talking about?

Thread Information