nj123 is offline Member

switching to dumbell bench

When i first started lifting i was using terrible form on barbell bench presses and now i think that has made my left tricep stronger(and bigger) than my right. Should i switch to all dumbell bench(incline, decline, and flat) so that my triceps will be getting the same amount of work and see if that will make my right tricep come along.? Or should i give the right tri a little more work on arm day? What do yall think?

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    I personally do at least one dumbbell and one barbell exercise on chest day. I feel I gain greater strength with barbells but the dumbbells help keep things in proportion.

I stopped barbell work for a while and did not like how my strength went down.

Also try doing cable exercises that utilize one arm at a time. Have you tried dumbbell skull crushers?

LM1332 Guest
    Well i personaly think that if you do barbell all the time then you should do dumbbell every 3rd week and the other way around. As for getting your tri strogner do an extra 2 reps or so on your tri and see how that will go.
    For ex: on your left you do 10 on the right you do 12
    later

BLACKZILLA is offline Associate Member
    I would agree with LM, mixing up the db and bb every so often should help shock the muscles a little bit. If you want to go real heavy on the db make sure you have a spotter if you're not used to using them. Concentrate on form and pumping the muscle up.

profbiv is offline Associate Member
    My uncle is a big dude and from his advice I switch to using Dumbbells. At least to me it’s a harder workout.No more weak left side.
    I also use a curl bar for the bench for more hand positions.

Odin is offline Member
    I love dumbell presses but I have a problem. Dam gym only goes up to 100 dumbells and this sucks. I like sticking to around 6 reps and can do 20 reps with 100's so I do not do them since I'm bulking. I do have a the slide on dumbells at home and can fit 5 10 pounders on each side making them 105's which are still to light. I love full range of motion too so I don't think I would like the power blocks or do not want to use 25 pound slide on's cause that will cut my range of motion at well. Does anyone know where A person can get extra long dumbell handles? That way I could slide many 10's on each side and not sacrifice range of motion. Their's a reason all the big pro's have dumbells that can fit ton's of 10's on them and I cannot find the F#ckers for anything. I sure hope someone knows.

LM1332 Guest
    id try some sport stores that concetrate on the gym equipment. I had a bunch of different stores around my house and if one didnt have something the other one would deffinatly have it.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    I love dumbell presses but I have a problem. Dam gym only goes up to 100 dumbells and this sucks. I like sticking to around 6 reps and can do 20 reps with 100's so I do not do them since I'm bulking. I do have a the slide on dumbells at home and can fit 5 10 pounders on each side making them 105's which are still to light. I love full range of motion too so I don't think I would like the power blocks or do not want to use 25 pound slide on's cause that will cut my range of motion at well. Does anyone know where A person can get extra long dumbell handles? That way I could slide many 10's on each side and not sacrifice range of motion. Their's a reason all the big pro's have dumbells that can fit ton's of 10's on them and I cannot find the F#ckers for anything. I sure hope someone knows.
    you could do like my gym did, we only have 120's so they took short thick bars and threw 3 25's on them to make 150's

Odin is offline Member
    Hey would that cut in on my pec's when going down deep on Incline presses also how it the balance on them, do they feel the same. I have seen them for sale but I'm just wondering if I can could get a good range of motion, not how much weight I can do. Thanx for the advice!

Odin is offline Member
    On a forum this big you would thing someone would know of where to buy extra long dumbell handles to slide 10's on. I mean these are the only dumbells the pros's use that I have seen. I mean not many pro bodybuilders do bench press because it really does not build that much muscle of the pec's."Dennis James" Even Ronnie you hear about him putting up the 200 pounds dumbells for rep's in the incline presses. Plus if your lifting by yourself their's so much safter cause you can just drop them. Plus thier no cheating with dumbells unlike bench where you got tub's bouncing fat presses to try impress somone. So with that being said does anyone have a clue where to get long dumbell handles that can hold a least 8 10's on each side, that can slide off to change to diffrent weights. I have looked in stores and I do not like the power blocks cause of range of motion.

nj123 is offline Member
    **** my thread got hijacked like a mother****r

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    On a forum this big you would thing someone would know of where to buy extra long dumbell handles to slide 10's on. I mean these are the only dumbells the pros's use that I have seen. I mean not many pro bodybuilders do bench press because it really does not build that much muscle of the pec's."Dennis James" Even Ronnie you hear about him putting up the 200 pounds dumbells for rep's in the incline presses. Plus if your lifting by yourself their's so much safter cause you can just drop them. Plus thier no cheating with dumbells unlike bench where you got tub's bouncing fat presses to try impress somone. So with that being said does anyone have a clue where to get long dumbell handles that can hold a least 8 10's on each side, that can slide off to change to diffrent weights. I have looked in stores and I do not like the power blocks cause of range of motion.
    impatient, aren't we , well, here you go mr.man

http://www.newyorkbarbell.com/bars&handles2.html

Odin is offline Member
    nj123 sorry for Highjacking your thread! lol Well Yeah dumbell presses will balance out your triceps as well as your pecs and shoulders. I also get a massive pump in my triceps and shoulders when doing dumbell presses on the incline and never get this feeling when benching. See a lot of guys with small arms bench big but never seen anyone do good weight on dumbell press with small arms or shoulders for that matter. If you want to look better than dumbells are the way to go and Pro bodybuilders are proof that it is. It won't take you longer either to see you chest width and upper half improve in the mirror.

scottninpo Lmao! Well this really helps out. Im just sick of looking at 100pound dumbells. Nothing worst than getting winded before getting sore during a bulking cycle! God that saves money too versus the power blockes. Hey if someone's to lazy to switch weight than what the hell are they doing in the weight room in the first place. Thanx again!

MrOlympia2014 is offline New Member
    Dumbell presses would be excellent for helping your triceps , IF you're doing correct form .

Thread Information