Fuller is offline Associate Member

Question Grip for lat pull downs

After the thread yesterday i am confused about lat pull downs. I know reliaze that the way i learned them is the wrong way.....i use to go behind the neck. So i want to begin to going in the front but am unsure of what grip to use? Maybe a reverse grip? or maybe just a normall grip shoulder width?? Thanks for the help....... Fuller

cdog is offline Associate Member
    Your lats will contract harder with a palms up close grip front pull down .So In my opion this would be the best way for you to really work it .The harder you can contract any muscle the better .

Swellin Guest
    I use a wide grip...not too wide, one hand width outside the shoulders...sometimes more.
    I go palms down, and a false grip with the thumbs. If you don't use the false grip, you get too much work from the biceps.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    I use wide grip mostly but the best way to do it is to use all different grips and widths.

znak is offline Senior Member
    I use different grips to keep my lats guessing. I agree with Whitey, pull up and especially weighted pull ups are the best.

I do lat pulls as a warm up for sets of weighted pull ups. I use the same grip on the warm ups as I use on the pull up.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I don't really do any back movement underhand - too much stress is moved for the biceps. The underhand pull up puts a lot on the biceps... there was recently an EMG study in Ironman Mag (about 2 months ago in a article on the best back movements and proper form) proving that type of grip effects biceps much more than lats...

Fuller is offline Associate Member
    Thanks for all the inputs guys....much apprecited Fuller

Thread Information