dave_0000 is offline New Member

question on number of reps?

I usually do three sets of 10-8-6 for most of my exercises. I'm trying to bulk and I heard that using a rep range of 10-8-6 while increasing the weight in between each set is a good way to add mass. I just wanted to know if this is true and if I should do the same number of reps and sets when using cables and machines?

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I personally go to a max of 10-10-??(I don't care what the third set is).
    Once I can do that, I up the weight by 10lbs then I keep lifting that until I can do two sets of 10. It only really works for certain movements like bench press. For me, I have to do higher reps and higher sets for traps, tri's etc. I also don't increase the weight while working out. I do my wormup sets and then go to my working weight.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    if you want mass, best way to run your sets is the 5X5 method, imo

I know in prison people like to do 20-20. They find thier 1 rep max, take off 20 lbs and then lift it twenty times. It doesn't matter how many sets it takes, but just push out the 20 reps during that workout.

Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    I know in prison people like to do 20-20. They find thier 1 rep max, take off 20 lbs and then lift it twenty times. It doesn't matter how many sets it takes, but just push out the 20 reps during that workout.
    that sounds pretty interesting, maybe i'll try that in a couple of weeks, sounds good for a break in your regular routine

I never did it because I don't want to risk hurting myself doing a 1 rep max.

I should start a new thread to discuss why we call it a ONE-REP-max. Total contradiction. A rep means repetition, and 1 is only done once, so there is no repetition.

Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    I should start a new thread to discuss why we call it a ONE-REP-max. Total contradiction. A rep means repetition, and 1 is only done once, so there is no repetition.
    let's keep this level headed and not start talkin all high falootin' theory and semantics now....

LM1332 Guest
    when i go for the murder set i do 12-10-8-6-4-2-1 heh but most of the time my sets last from 12-6 or from 8-2

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    i do 12 warmup 10-8-6-4.. seems to work great others i train with do 10 10 10.. what ever floats your boat..

JGK
    JGK is offline Junior Member
    For dynamic day using WS I use either twelve sets of two or ten sets of three.. For ME day I do triples and work my way up until I can't do triples and do singles until I can't do them. For assistance exercises I do 3-4 sets of 8-10 reps. Before I did WS I did 5x5 on heavy compounds and 3 sets of 8 on everything else.

British Bulldog is offline Junior Member
    I usually do 10.8.6.4 for most of the heavy exercises. For muscles that are comprised of more slow twitch fibre's (forearms, calves), I do 15,12,10,8.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I have found that staggering reps up and down really isnt nessesery for growing when it comes to my body. More importantly, keep the same reps but different weight. This is what I do...

Warm up - 10 reps
    1st set - 8 reps bymyself
    2nd set - 8 reps (just) (heavier weight)
    3rd set - 8 reps (with a spot) (even heavier weight than 2nd set)
    4th set - 6 - 7 reps (with spot) (heaviest set)

I sometime repeat the 4th set 2 times depending how I feel. Some people may think Im over-working out, but it feels good on me.

Thread Information