homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member

Stronger than most...but don't LOOK it.

This is slightly depressing. Been lifting for 10 years. Have a big build (6'1", 260) but nothing that wows people. I can bench 405 for 5 reps, db curls with 80lbs, all that great stuff. But there are these young guys at my gym who LOOK like bodybuilders...they have full muscles, good definition but NO strength! What gives? These guys don't even take lifting seriously...they stand around and talk in the gym, they're partiers, and they haven't been lifting more than 3-4 years.
    I used to think I just needed to lean down, but when I do I still don't have that thick, heavy muscle mass that makes me LOOK like a bodybuilder.
    I have tried some juice in the past 2 years, has helped me get stronger but not much thicker. I've never stacked, maybe I need to up the intensity with all factors?
    Thanks for listening to me bitch.
    Later bros!
    ~hb~

Should I change my style of workouts? I"ve always worked on increasing my strength at all costs (sets under 4 reps), should I do sets of 10-12 reps?

still growin is offline Member
    sounds like you are more of a powerlifter to me. You do low reps with maximum poundages to attain the highest possible strength. This is different from the sport of bodybuilding, where you stick to 8-12 reps with a heavy weight to attain maximal mass and development, not strength. A lot of bb top pros aren't as strong pound for pound as people who powerlift. If you want to get the look, keep your reps higher, mabey a power set each time of 6 reps min! I would re-evaluate your program depending on what your goals are.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    you should check out doggcraps routine, i think you will find it incredibly helpfull. he bases his ideals on a powerlifting workout, yet still attaining incredible mass. here is a link. its long but read it all, its well worth it. http://anabolicreview.com/vbulletin/...ht=stir+things

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Besides the DC workout which would be a very good switch, if you're not growing, you need to look at your diet which is likely the problem (of course its very hard to grow past 260). For a guy your size, you should be around 500-600g protein/day. If you're not doing that, that is the first thing you need to change.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    saboudian basically nailed it, your diet, if you dropped your body fat to around 10-12% you'd probably blow those younger guys away, and your diet along with cardio is key to dropping bf, try working in some cardio to your routine, for bigger guys like you and me, i prefer a sprinting routine over long runs

RUDY-14 is offline Associate Member
    If you want to look cut up like that try doing cardio 3 or 4 days a week in the morning on an empty stomach and def up the reps to a min of 6, i would aim for 8-12.

Thanks bros! Everything posted makes sense as I was thinking many of the same thoughts after researching the subject. 500-600g protein per day sounds like way too much, I gotta admit. That's 2400 calories on protein alone!!! I"m not trying to get bigger, just leaner. I was thinking 250-300g per day. I'll have to try going a little higher first to see how it goes.
    Thanks again!
    -hb

Thread Information