dave_0000 is offline New Member

Good exercises for back?

What would be some good mass building exercises for back?

Right now i'm mostly using row machines. Would I be better off using free weights instead of machines?

joey11 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah, freeweights for mass building is the way to go.I think DEADLIFTS are the best mass building exercise, I also like wide- grip pull ups with weights attached.
    My back workout
    Deads
    Dumbell rows
    Pull-ups
    Bent-Over Barbell rows

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I've always gotten good results with bent over rows. Lately, I've been doing an excercise, but I don't know what it's called (if it even has a name). I put my bench on a slight incline (up like two notches (but I don't know how many degrees that it)). I sit on the bench with my chest down (I feel like I'm riding my motorcycle in that position). I hold light dumbells letting them dangle down. I keep my arms pretty streight (but not completely streight) and I lift the weight up and out to my sides (kinda like a bird flapping it's wings). I squeez my shoulderblades together at the top and hold it for a second. When I started, I had a hard time lifting 5lbs. in each hand. I also had a bit of a time angling myself right so that I could really feel it, but now that I've pretty much perfected it, I can really feel my back getting thicker. It really works more of the middle and lower traps really. For the upper traps, I've been doing really well with cable shrugs. I also do dumbell shrugs and barbell shrugs with the Smith Machine. For the lats, bent over rows work well for me and I've been doing cable pull-downs.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    big weight = big muscles

stick with deadlifts, bent over row, and pullups, you don't need anything else

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dave_0000
    What would be some good mass building exercises for back?

Right now i'm mostly using row machines. Would I be better off using free weights instead of machines?
    stay away from machines if you wanna get big

KeyMastur is offline VET
    DB - what you're doing sounds more like a rear delt exercise with a bit of a scapula pinch at the end. The scap pinch is ideal for the muscles in between the shoulder blades.

I do scap pinches a little different though - instead of extending the arms like you do. I use a row machine and keep my arms straight, and squeeze the shoulder blades together. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm trying to do a row and just don't know how. (then i look in the mirror at my massive size and say **** em)

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    Overhand Grip Deadlifts (low reps, heavy weight)
    Chin Ups
    Underhand Grip Deadlifts (moderate weight/reps)
    Barbell Rows
    V-Bar Rows

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    DB - what you're doing sounds more like a rear delt exercise with a bit of a scapula pinch at the end. The scap pinch is ideal for the muscles in between the shoulder blades.

I do scap pinches a little different though - instead of extending the arms like you do. I use a row machine and keep my arms straight, and squeeze the shoulder blades together. Sometimes I wonder if people think I'm trying to do a row and just don't know how. (then i look in the mirror at my massive size and say **** em)
    I started doing it as a rear delt excercise, but my traps kill me for days after doing it. I can feel the traps really thickening up also. I did it two days ago and my back is still sore now.

RUDY-14 is offline Associate Member
    Haha Keymastur I was at the gym today doing back and was doing the same exercise, I always feel a bit self-conscious doing them cause people think I don't know **** about training, unfortuanately I don't have the size to say Fuc k em all. LOL

Thread Information