16 31.37%
  • 250 - 300LB

14 27.45%
  • 400+

13 25.49%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    LM1332 Guest

How much do you do on your shrugs?

Alright i was at the gym working out pumping my chest and i herd alot of noise i didnt pay attention and just started to walk towards the fountain and ill be ****ed i saw this guy doing 405LBs. so i thought wha sup?

123BJ is offline Associate Member
    i usually use the dumbells rather then barbell.... but i go up to 140's on db....... and 3plates and a 25 each side for barbell..... only for 5 though....my hands tend to give out, i think i need straps........... Some guy the other day in my gym was doing 315 for reps and he didnt look like he worked out a day in his lifwe...

Justincase is offline Associate Member
    I do 250 to 300 on a barbell....I like dumbells better tho, I kind of have long arms so....
    I have seen my brother-in-law do 800 on a barbell.....for rep (12 to 15) he is 5' 10" and about 265lbs.. lean he is 230-235 at about 6%bf.

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I like doing 10-8-6 on Shrugs...Ive done like 365-385-405 in front shrugs and 455-475-515 on rear shrugs....Using straps BTW

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I like to keep my trap excercises really light. I usually keep it to about 100lbs. I just feel like I can concentrate on the traps and isolate them much better with the lighter weight. When I use heavy weight, I feel like I'm just concentrating on handling the weight and I get the support muscles involved a lot more.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I don't do shrugs, deads get it done

LM1332 Guest
    Yea i try to get as heavy as i can with control and full contractions i do about 120lbs though but i am getting there.

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    pheedno nailed it, no need to do shrugs if you deadlift

ToTheMAX04 is offline Banned
    i used to use the 90lb db's until i took a seat. sitting down and doing them on a mil. press machine is a whole different story. Now i use the 65's and 70's and really concentrate on only using my traps and touching my shoulders to my ears. That supersetted with upright rows, and my traps blew up like freaken crazy

Pwrlfter is offline Junior Member
    I do deadlifts and I do shrugs. The shrugs seem to help me at the top of my deads near lockout, I do traditional deads btw. When I train my traps I pyramid up from 3 plates for 15 reps to 7 or 7 1/2 plates depending on how my back feels for 6 reps.

Farmer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J-DUB
    Some guy the other day in my gym was doing 315 for reps and he didnt look like he worked out a day in his lifwe...

Exactly! That is why I could give a rats ass about weight. I usually use 225-275 for barbell and I bet I have better trap development. Of course you need to overload the muscle with heavier weight, but with proper form. When I read the title to this thread I got reminded all the times I hear "How much ya bench". Sorry just had another run in with someone boasting about size determines strength totally.

Peace

Farmer

KeyMastur is offline VET
    I don't do heavy weight. 225 is the max I usually go up to. Just like to squeeze it at the top.

Farmer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur
    I don't do heavy weight. 225 is the max I usually go up to. Just like to squeeze it at the top.
    Exactly, exercise the muscle not your ego. How is your trap development?

Peace

Farmer

Mr. Death is offline Senior Member
    I like to go light too. Traps are one of the muscles that I go high reps with. Usually 100lb. dumbells, 225 barbell.

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Don't upright rows build traps better than shrugs? This has at least been the case for myself.

LM1332 Guest
    i feel ya farmer heh but i could care less about bench lol i hear that alot every friend of mine is like how much do you bench? i am like dunno but how much do you squat? and thats where the whole convo stops lol

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RP7
    Don't upright rows build traps better than shrugs? This has at least been the case for myself.
    when i started lifting, i used to kill myself on shrugs to make them grown, finally i started doing upright rows and they finally started to come out, and i found out that i'm freakishly strong on uprights, so it's one of my favorite exercises

As a rule I totally ignore people when they tell me how much they squat. When Im at the gym 99% of the guys I see doing squats only go down to about 3 inches above parallel or worse, and they usually think that is to parallel. If you don't squat down to 2 inches below parallel then those big numbers you are telling isn't you max squat. How much do you deadlift?

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer
    Exactly, exercise the muscle not your ego. How is your trap development?

Peace

Farmer
    Just out of curiosity, do you guys have the same philosophy for your calves?

zx7racing is offline Senior Member
    i'm running average at 225 with the bar (i thought i would be a lot lower than most of you) and yes thats with form... but you all running 100db's i cant touch... 80-85 for a decent set without sacrificing form for me.. and i feel like i get better rom from the dbs.

Farmer is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwrlfter
    Just out of curiosity, do you guys have the same philosophy for your calves?
    I load up enough weight to allow me a full stretch at the bottom and a nice squeeze at the top, and still fail around 10-15 reps. Sometimes to "shock" I will load it up with a few more plates and kind've "half-ass" the ROM. Usually for a burn at the end of a workout.

Peace

Farmer

When I used to be a bodybuilder some years ago I would just run the rack when doing shrugs from about 120's down to 60's. When I trained my calves I would go as heavy as I could, then switch off to the standing calf raise machine and do stripping sets till I couldnt stand anymore.

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KeyMastur

Sets of 12-15 is plenty with 225. Mine arent that big but this kills um.

LM1332 Guest
    yea i found that you dont really need to do more then 4 sets of 10.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I love working my traps, traps are bery important like any other part of the body, but your traps can make you look a lot bigger if they are a good size. Anyways, I do 5 sets of 8. Most I do is 165lbs dumbells, 6 reps

And for the people that have seen my pic in Member Pics forum, yes I dont have a neck..... just before you ask

Thanx to my traps thats is

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    I do heavy bbell shrugs, upto 440lb for 10 reps, i only do 1 heavy set, i do deads aswell, but i have quite wide shoulders so my traps dont look big at all i do dbell shrugs only at 120lb, i do a long negative movement with those, seems to make them hurt nicely.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    150-200 on shrugs, I love them

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    I usually max @ 150lb dumbells and 360lbs on the barbell for 8 reps.

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    i have a lever lil junk since the cages/benches are taken 99% of the freaking time so i do about 360 on the lever and 250 with db's.. shrugs make me feel secksy

LM1332 Guest
    On thursday i maxed out with my shrugs for 5 reps at 200LBs lol i was pretty happy with that (Dbells)

Football_Bill is offline Associate Member
    I love dumbell shrugs. 3 x 15, 90 to 100 lbs.
    For a change I do them on an incline bench, arms hanging down. Works the traps even better, but need to use a little lighter weight.
    Last edited by Football_Bill; 02-09-2004 at 02:08 PM.

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    i don't do them, but if i do i have to use the 120 lb dumbells (biggest at my gym) and do around 20 reps to feel anything. Deadlifts i find hit my traps much harder.

Viking_Power is offline Associate Member
    I use the bar and do 225 lbs, I just like doing low weights for the traps. I can do well over 500 lbs, but its a waste of time. Its better to do them correctly and make the trap work correctly. What made my trap bigger was doing the farmers walk.

VP

Quote Originally Posted by Viking_Power
    I use the bar and do 225 lbs, I just like doing low weights for the traps. I can do well over 500 lbs, but its a waste of time. Its better to do them correctly and make the trap work correctly. What made my trap bigger was doing the farmers walk.

VP
    I honestly don't see the point of going light, do you do curls with 10 lb dumbbells too? I mean with 405 I can do 25-30 reps with perfect form, I don't think 225 would be worth bothering with unless I rotated my shoulders on each rep.

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking_Power
    What made my trap bigger was doing the farmers walk.
    WTF is the farmer's walk?

Quote Originally Posted by RP7
    WTF is the farmer's walk?
    In the World's Strongest Man competitions it's when you have to walk a certain distance with 2 very heavy objects, one in each hand, then turn around and walk back. The fastest guy wins.

Viking_Power is offline Associate Member
    Yea,the farmers walk really work on the grip and the weight just simply wants to rip my traps off

VP

Johnny Boy is offline Associate Member
    My traps only started responding when I started doing heavy barbell shrugs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information