Farmer is offline Member

** Input from everyone on this article **

Yo, just wondering your thoughts on this post at bb.com..a lot of it makes sense and is backed up by actual studies. I am in the dilemma again of this morning cardio battle. I want some of your opinons.

Peace

Farmer

LINK:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...0&pagenumber=1

Farmer is offline Member
    bump

Da Bull is offline Banned
    Nice post bro.......for many years I never bought the idea of cardio on an empty stomach and this debate opened my eyes further,thanks for sharing.

DB

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    wow...... thanks for ruining my whole night.... instead of going out i ended up sitting here reading through that whole post!...

great info on that thread.... when i was on the track team in college we followed a lot of those principles... since graduating, i've gotten away from that type of running... i need to reincorporate it into my schedule

great post!

Farmer is offline Member
    I know, I don't like it when a proverbial wrench is thrown into my scheme. I am the type of person that likes to have a plan set and then pursue it at 100%. I now feel like I am doing the wrong thing. I was hoping to get some feedback about the principles as well. I have always known about the EPOC principle and how it elevates your metabolism for a longer period, but never really considered for cardio. It has been etched into my brain from magazines to pro's to message forums, that it is empty stomach in the morning cardio. Thanks for the response, hopefully some others will chime in.

Peace

Farmer

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    i have tried the cardio first thing in the morning and the hiit program, hiit performed in the afternoon, and i found that for me, hiit worked a lot better overall, first off, cardio is boring as hell, but hiit makes it a real challenge, plus it's over relatively quickly, also when i would do cardio, i found that my weight lifting workouts would suffer, but while doind hiit, i found that i actually became stronger, especially in legs

Farmer is offline Member
    Sweet, thanks for the response scott!

Peace

Farmer

here's the hiit routine i use, i cycle between this and quarter mile sprints:

http://www.musclemedia.com/training/hiit_table.asp

Farmer is offline Member
    thanks for the link

Peace

Farmer

Lostsoul is offline Associate Member
    Nice article, already knew that stuff, but good to read it again...

I'm a strong proponent of cardio on the empty stomach for the sole reason that it works for me like a treat, 2 things to keep in mind about cardio in the morn.

1 - cortisol levels are highest in the mornings
    2 - your not doing the cardio for the immediate effect, the reason your doing cardio is for the AFTER effects, your body is in a fat burning mode for 6 hours after doing cardio, so doing cardio 2x a day is the best

I still think cardio b4 b'fast is the best, i've never noticed any loss in strength, just make sure you have a big hit of carbs after your cardio session, and watch the fat slide away.

Cubber is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for posting that link Farmer... It was well worth the read.

To anyone who can help...
    I'm looking for some advise adding HITT into my gym routine. First, I'm 5'11", 210, 12%bf and my goal is muscle growth. I have a few questions.

1. How many days a week do you recommend HITT (I'm planning 3 or 4 a week)
    2. Evening is usually the only time I have for a workout at this time. Is it still worth while to do HITT in the evenings (about 6:30ish)
    3. Is a HITT session still benificial immediately after a lifting session?

My diet is good. I understand the timing of carbs and the use of the Glycemic Index to minimize weight gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Cubber
    Thanks for posting that link Farmer... It was well worth the read.

To anyone who can help...
    I'm looking for some advise adding HITT into my gym routine. First, I'm 5'11", 210, 12%bf and my goal is muscle growth. I have a few questions.

1. How many days a week do you recommend HITT (I'm planning 3 or 4 a week)
    2. Evening is usually the only time I have for a workout at this time. Is it still worth while to do HITT in the evenings (about 6:30ish)
    3. Is a HITT session still benificial immediately after a lifting session?

My diet is good. I understand the timing of carbs and the use of the Glycemic Index to minimize weight gain.
    1) click on the link in my post above
    2) doesn't matter when you do HIIT, it's actually better after you have a few meals in you for energy
    3) i try to separate lifting from hiit as much as possible

Cubber is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the help Scott..
    I did my first HIIT session today. short warm-up, 4 minutes HITT, then 2 minute cool down. I was not prepared for my heart rate to shoot through the roof and it was much harder than I expected. I will, however, stick with the program for the 8 weeks. I'm not sure how I'll get throught 15 minutes though.

Thread Information