View Poll Results: Do you stretch before your workout?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 55.56%
  • No

20 44.44%

Thread: Do you stretch?

KeizerSoze is offline New Member

Do you stretch?

I don't know what it's like at other gyms but at the gym(Gold's) I work out at, I would have to say that less than %10 of the people in there don't stretch before a workout. About %25 of those who do don't even stretch properly. I have always thought it is important to warmup first with a 3 minute jog/run/cycle and then get into about 5-10 minutes of stretching before working out.

I noticed on this board that not much is said about stretching/warming up. I am curious what percentage of the serious body builders here do.

big daddy k de is offline Senior Member
    i usewelly dont but you know what KeizerSoze, Starting monday i am going to stretch !

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    i never stretch never warmup

KeyMastur is offline VET
    i don't stretch before a workout. does no good. i warmup by jogging or riding the bike for 5 min. then i use some light weights to go through the motions of some of the exercises at high reps just to warm them up a little.

afterwards, yes, i stretch. currently trying to do the splits

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    I stretch very lightly(@8-10 secs.) between my warmup sets. During my working sets I don't stretch. After my workouts I do to try to maintain flexability and cut down on soreness. I perfer to not stretch when my muscles are cold.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    IMO you have to stretch if you plan on being in this game for the long run.

rambo is offline The Lord God
    There have been several studies that actually show that static stretching negates muscle specific strength gains, I found that interesting, but dynamic stretching is still good idea, so i stretch sparingly before a workout. I've been toying with yoga, and i tried it twice and it kicked my ass, and i felt fruity, so i stopped.

mass junkie is offline banned
    No I dont but I know I should pre and post workout..........Guess I really dont know how...........

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Stretching is good for the body...circulates blood flow, allows more O2 to be released into the muscles...etc.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    Stretching is a good idea in my opinion. I stretch for about 10 minutes before my workout then warm up on a bike for 5 minutes. I feel ready to lift after that. I dont usually do any post workout stretching though.

cb25 is offline Banned
    I do a quick stretch before most workouts except legs, when i do more. I have a bad knee, so i have to make sure i fully warmup and stretch before hitting legs...this is especially true before any sports (i play basketball a few times a week).

flex_300 is offline New Member
    Before a workout, I always warm up on an exercise bike for about 3-5 minutes and then stretch for about 7 minutes. I don't know how much stretching before a workout really helps, but I am a firm believer in stretching after my workouts. It gives my heart rate a chance to lower, and my muscles feel fresh for the next days workout.

Sorken is offline Member
    without stretching my body feels "slow and hard" and I don't like that feeling..
    What I'v heard stretching is good for you because blod can pass throu you muscel better.....

caturpilar is offline Associate Member
    I lightly stretch before and during working out. If you've ever had a back spasm which hurts like hell you'd know why I stretch.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Apart from weight training I kickbox and grapple, try that without stretching!

shannah is offline New Member
    I normally do a full body stretch for about 10 minutes before running 10 minutes on the treadmill before any workout. Then during the workout I stretch the muscles that are being worked. Helps me keep the circulation going through the muscle and seems to keep it fresh for the next set, most likely due to the increase of O2 being released into the muscle.
    Reason I stretch some much is because I go a serious injury during last rugby season because of lack of stretching... was no bueno. My advice is to always stretch!!

timmz11 is offline Junior Member
    i lightly warm up with out with small weights goin through the motions and then hittin the bag a little bit on my preworkout....then i will stretch for about 5-10 min after my total workout...it jus feels soo good!

Animal Cracker is offline Anabolic Member
    I didnt before..but now I realize the full imporantace and necessity of stretching! It is a must..every time! Before W/outs..before cardio!

Wallmic is offline New Member
    before workout i warmup on a bycicle for 3-5 mins for blood flow and then begin workout i stretch a bit in between sets and after complete workout i stretch for about 5-10 mins my partner says that it can help growth because muscles are warm after workout and its like elastic it stretches and contracts to get bigger...... or something like that .. .. .

TiptronicSoldier is offline Associate Member
    I walk on the treadmill for 5-10 minutes to warm up along with some light stretching prior to lifting. I fascia stretch in between sets every few weeks or so to get some more blood flow.

RockWolf is offline New Member
    Light warmup before lifting with no stretching during. I've been told that if the form is good during the set, stretching is wasting your time. But after your workout stretching is essential. And the way you stretch is very important. I had a trainer run around with me one day and she had me stretching each body part 3 times. Holding the stretch for a minimum of 25 s and then releasing it. Apparently, anything less than 25 sec is bad for the muscle elongation. That being said, you may want the peak in the muscle... but your flexibility will def suffer.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    I heard from a few trainers at my gym that stretching after a heavy workout is not good. Said something about tearing the muscle or something. I stretch lightly before and thats it.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Stretching as long as it's not too extreme is excellent for the muscles. But being a hypocrite I usually don't.

gdwygd is offline New Member
    I jump rope for 500 reps as warm up, then stretch for 5 or so minutes, depending on the exercises I will be doing that day. Seems to get the blood flowing nicely, but I dont feel loose till my second or third set in anyway.

RockWolf is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RageControl
    I heard from a few trainers at my gym that stretching after a heavy workout is not good. Said something about tearing the muscle or something. I stretch lightly before and thats it.
    I wonder how much each opinion is related to the male or female point of view. Not being sexist but the trainer I talked to was a woman and a fitness contestant. Flexibility from her perspective (and mine ) is essential. Tearing muscle might be a little extreme and I'd say only if the stretch was done improperly. That being said, I'm wondering if the "25 sec rule" was to make sure you don't jerk and bounce around and to allow the muscle to relax in that elongated state.

wiky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Apart from weight training I kickbox and grapple, try that without stretching!
    Yupp stretch and rope are 30% of my workout, 30% gloves and 30% weight, the other 10% chat and drink (stretching the tongue)

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I usually stretch in between my warm-up sets, and then do extreme stretches directly after I am done with that exercise.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    You are supposed to hold each stretch for at least 15 seconds. It is recommended to hold it for 15 - 30 seconds and "bouncing" is not the correct way. Bouncing is more for people like marathon runners and such but for the average athlete and weightlifter, just holding the stretch for 15 - 30 seconds and doing it 3 times is the proper technique.

Sorry if it sounds all professional but I just got done with my personal training certification

wiky is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    You are supposed to hold each stretch for at least 15 seconds. It is recommended to hold it for 15 - 30 seconds and "bouncing" is not the correct way. Bouncing is more for people like marathon runners and such but for the average athlete and weightlifter, just holding the stretch for 15 - 30 seconds and doing it 3 times is the proper technique.

Sorry if it sounds all professional but I just got done with my personal training certification
    You would sound professional without your certification too congrats. Yeah i think bouncing when stretching "breaks" more muscule fibers than just holding the stretch, maybe the replacemente of those fibers make the muscle loss volume but they become more explosive and strong (killing the worst fibers?). Anyway i only know that for suppositions of my workout, i have to do stretching and bouncing stretching, but only for one week each 1-2 months the bouncing one. Any better explanation?

RP7
    RP7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by caturpilar
    I lightly stretch before and during working out. If you've ever had a back spasm which hurts like hell you'd know why I stretch.
    Ahh the back spasms. I have a massage on Thursday cause I havent done back or traps in 2 weeks because if I do one more upright row I am going to shrivel into a little ball on the ground sucking my thumb.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I stretch before I workout and between sets.

Devourer is offline Senior Member
    i warm up with light weight then after my workout i get a real good stretch in whatever i worked out.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Ppl say that stretching is nessesery, i suppose it cant really do anu harm, but its not like your going for a 400 metre sprint lol...Micheal Johnson stretches, Ronnie Coleman warms up.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    I just warm up b4 I start training.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I should, but don't, aside from stiff leg deads with dumbells

Thread Information