Thread: push ups

whs
    whs is offline Junior Member

push ups

i do 100 push ups every morning. a woman trainer at my gym told me it does nothing to build muscle at all it is more a cardio kind of thing but this woman always criticizes everyone about everything they do. is this helping or hurting my progress i do my chest routine on modays.

IronAdam is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whs
    i do 100 push ups every morning. a woman trainer at my gym told me it does nothing to build muscle at all it is more a cardio kind of thing but this woman always criticizes everyone about everything they do. is this helping or hurting my progress i do my chest routine on modays.
    I don't see how it could hurt. Unless your trying to build mass and fatiguing your muscles too much before doing low rep high weight sets???

dalcowbag is offline Anabolic Member
    it sounds like u would be better off doing yourpushups not in the morning, but right along with your chest work out

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    pushups wont do much bro, it defenitley isnt gonna build.

LM1332 Guest
    its more of a definition excersise and it gives you endurence so just keep on doing em

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    What she said is right. If you're trying to bulk up, stop doing them. If you're cutting, keep it up.

Symian is offline Member
    A lot of people say not to do calistenics(sp) since they will possibly burn muscle, but I personally love doing it on my off days. In my opinion, what good is it to be huge and strong, but then be slow and have little to no endurance. Plus it keeps me lean. Just watch your timing like dalcowbag said.

Sym

nevaenuf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dalcowbag
    it sounds like u would be better off doing yourpushups not in the morning, but right along with your chest work out

This is how I do mine. After my chest workout I superset pushups with flys. This destroys my chest. It is the only exercise that I do every time I work my chest.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gear
    pushups wont do much bro, it defenitley isnt gonna build.
    Im gonna have to dissagree with Gear, I do 3 sets of 20 reps wide grip pushups and 3 sets of 20 reps close grip pushups everyday, this falls in between my morning training sess. and my night trining sess. since doing this Ive noticed my chest is alot bigger than it ever was, the pump is incredible, and it has also helped me with my benchpress. But just cuz it works for me doesnt mean it will work for you, if you notice yourself lagging in the gym because of it quit, if you notice a good difference keep goin strong bro.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Do them, that stuff about bulking is rubbish. I used to cycle 25 miles a day, to and from work. Everyone said my legs would never grow because of it, untill they seen my legs, I probably had some of the best in the gym. I haven't cycled in 2 yrs now and my legs have shrunk.
    If you enjoy them, hit them.

Gear is offline HGH/IGF/Insulin Forum ~ AR-Hall of Famer
    Yeah I still dont think pushups will build, but thats just me hey.... To me they are a waste of time, I wouldnt do them

If you're just starting out, yeah. As an inbetween thing, maybe. But I'm with Gear.

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DBarcelo
    If you're just starting out, yeah. As an inbetween thing, maybe. But I'm with Gear.
    Different strokes for different folks right? Nothing works the same for everybody whatever works do it and whatever doesnt work throw it out.

Hardcore189 is offline Junior Member
    I always love doing chest...for me i found that it works best if I do chest on a Monday and do my pushups wensday thursday friday....By doing my pushups i have noticed a great increase in hardness....my pushup routine was givin to me by my friend who is in the FBI in New York city and goes like this....50 pushups, 30 second break, 50 pushups, 30 second break,50 pushups, 30 second break, 50 pushups, 30 second break, 50 pushups, 2 minute break. and then repeat this process......it is hard to keep time sometimes but i foudn this to be the best way to do pushups.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    That is one hell of a pushup routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    Different strokes for different folks right? Nothing works the same for everybody whatever works do it and whatever doesnt work throw it out.

That's what I always say. Just because it works for me doesn't mean it's going to work for you and just because it works for you doesn't mean it's going to work for me. You gotta figure out what works for you.

LM1332 Guest
    yea thats right dbarcel its all about trial and error you never know what works for one person and what doesnt. i respond pretty good to push ups but i dont do em at all unless its a warm up pre bench type of thing

I sometimes do them to warm-up before doing bench also.

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    Keep doing the pushupps!! they increase your work capacity and it will make you grow better and recover faster.

same thing with the biking and your legs bouncer.

Check out this article it explains work capacity and gpps(general physical preparedness) advantages when it comes to strenght and size.
    http://www.deepsquatter.com/strength/archives/ls14.htm

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I don't really include them in my workout, I just kinda do them at home when I'm bored. I def. think they're good cuz when i'm done with a set, my chest looks jacked and veins are usually poppin out.

Thread Information