small_calves is offline New Member

Incline vs normal

whats the difference between incline bench pressing and just normal flat benching.
    thanks

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I think incline puts more stress on my shoulders than flat does. The incline does work the upper part of my pec though.

LM1332 Guest
    yes incline bench is made to develope the upper part of your pecs. If you wont put the bench up too high then youll work your upper if youll put it high then it will stress shoulder a lot more then chest. And flat bench hits your lower and mid chest more

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    what he said...

also if you do db instead of straight bar.. you get more of the back.. and spread the pecs more...........
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

LM1332 Guest
    i do flys to stretch my pecs and give em a full look but yea i agree with spy db stretch pecs more also

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I get a pretty good stretch using my smith machine.

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    I have read that you should not exceed thirty degrees inclination for the inclined bench. Also personal experience has shown that to be true. I have noticed that most incline benches at the gyms that I have been to have too much inclination for the barbell presses. I usually drag an ajustable bench to the power rack so I can get the thirty degrees that I want.
    Last edited by Mu'min; 02-20-2004 at 08:51 PM.

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    incline bench hits 97% of your chest fibers and decline hits 93% of chest fibers, i learned this from Arnolds book of bodybuilding.

TheOak182 is offline Associate Member
    Incline hits more of your upper chest and incorporates shoulders (especially) depending on the incline! i have seen some incline benches with a very small incline, and others which you are practically doing just shoulders!!!

TheOak182 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve0
    incline bench hits 97% of your chest fibers and decline hits 93% of chest fibers, i learned this from Arnolds book of bodybuilding.
    How can that be? You are using more of your shoulders on incline. Which bood said this the Encyc. or his autobio.?

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    Funny thing is I can bench more on the incline than the flat. Sad but true

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    For me.............

incline brings in the delts more... and i do more on the incline..

Until i took dbol 40mg for 3 weeks......

The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    this is not true..

A Low Grade Incline Dumbbell or Barbell press is the wway to go.. A common misconception in many gyms across america is that you need to have a high grade on the incline..this isn't true.. remember the higher you go the more you recruit your front deltoids... So a low grade Incline works best...

Also according to emg reports ( reference: Serious Strength Training
    by Tudor O. Bompa) The lowgrade Decline Dumbbell press is the best exercise for adding mass to the chest.. it scored a 93 on the emg.. where the flat bench only hit in the mid 80's. And decline barbell is not a good alternative to these.. unless you like benching with the bar above your neck...very dangerous IMO and not worth the risk..

Honestly, when most people want to build an upper chest or they want a better sweep on the lower portion of their pec's .. There is only a couple of rules of thumb here... If you want a good chest (one that doesn't disappear when you raise your arms over your head) You want to add mass... Flyes, crossovers, and basicaly any kind of cable work will not do this for you. All of those exercises are designed to bring out definition in the Pec's not to make the bigger.. They are simply put.. a waste of time.. Focus on Mass building exercises like Decline Dumbbell presses... Lowgrade incline Barbell/dumbbell presses.. and drop a little body fat if you want to see a better sweep.. There is no point in doing flyes and cables if you don't allready have mass to define... Focus on getting the mass first..then focus on bringing out striations later.

I hope this helps..

Take care,

phreezer

Dude-Man is offline Anabolic Member
    good to see you here phreezer.

Thanks bro..

daver is offline Junior Member
    Good post, that will definately change my workout.

It is true it is in the Arnold Auto Bio, no Bs roomates got the book, next time you do a pec flex look for your self...

CHEST WORKOUT
    incline press-12,10,8,8
    Cable Flys-12,12,12,12
    Bumb bell press-10,10,8,8
    Decline press- 12,10,8,8

LOL!!! and we all know the Arnold Encyclopedia is a great source for training information...LMAO!

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Incline works upper chest more..

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Phreezer hit the nail right on the head. I personally have been doing more incline then flat just because my upper chest was lagging a bit. It has taken me sometime to bring it up but with the combination of incline barbell/dumbell. incline flys and incline smith machine I have brought some size to it.

I find that putting the bench at about 30-45 degrees works best. Any higher and I feel my front delts taking over far to much. I make sure that I adjust the incline degree almost every workout to hit it from slightly different angles. Just to keep the pecs guessing.

ItalianMuscle is offline Senior Member
    Incline m,akes your pecs and upper chest look better and personaly give me a good frame..

No sh!t it makes your pecs and upper chest look better and gives u a good frame i totally agree, but it's the truth working incline on the smith or useing dumbells works more % of fibers than flat bench feel your pecs more than half is upper !!! by doing more incle your regular flat bench should slightly increase, BUT IT WORKS DIFFRENT FOR EVREYONE !!!!!!!!

LM1332 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by phreezer
    LOL!!! and we all know the Arnold Encyclopedia is a great source for training information...LMAO!
    It might be not the best book but it is very educational i learned a lot from it when i was starting out

i heard dat LM1332, great book i mean come on look at the guy and drugs were not even good back in those days.

LM1332 Guest
    not just that i mean it has everything that a begginer needs a proper diet, workout plans, posing, info on BB describtion of every needed excz. I mean its just a plain old good book

i heard dat LM1332, great book i mean come on look at the guy and drugs were not even good back in those days.
    What?? drugs weren't good back in those days?? LOL... The same Deca and the same DBOL and some of the same testosterones that WE use.. are the exact same deca and the exact same DBOL and the exact same testosterones that they used!!!

Testosterones have been used since the 30's.. And anabolic androgenic steroids were created in the middle fifties after the russians used them to help win the 1956 olympics.. Those are very similar if not identical to a lot of the anabolics that we use today.. especialy the 70's!
    Last edited by phreezer; 02-25-2004 at 11:17 PM.

yeah i said that DumbA$$ can u read

Jackman is offline Banned
    come on ladies keep it to PM

yeah i said that DumbA$$ can u read
    That's it? Dumbass....lol... You are the guy making the moronic statements and you actually call me the dumbass...LMAO!!!

Whatever floats your boat dude. :spudnikgr

Take care,

Phreezer

Thread Information