Slugger is offline Junior Member

Skinny guy with a gut

I am unsure what to do. I am just getting back working out after a 3 year layoff. I am 6 210 24 years old. But I have a little gut on me. And all my muscles have gotten smaller. My diets terrible but I'm in the process of changing it. My question is, should I just lift weights for a month and than start the cardio (gradually get back into it), or should I just do cardio for a month and than add weights OR should I start weights AND cardio right away?

LilVito469 is offline Banned
    bro im in a similiar istuation i have just changed my diet. I have went into working out with weights and doing cardio when i wake up in the morning

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I would probably do the cardio first if you don't have any problem with being really thin for a while. If you don't want to be too thin then bulk up with weights and just try to avoid putting on any more fat by staying low carb, eat clean, etc.

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    I would clean up the diet first bro and hit the gym lifting first but don't go heavy too soon, keep the weights below your max! Start adding Cardio in 6 weeks or so and then start going heavier with the weights. But remember its all about the diet diet diet!!!

Good luck, MJ

So I should start both right away?

Depends on what your goals are and what you're willing to sacrifice.

LM1332 Guest
    i think it would be a good thing to do to start both why bother with one when you can do both. Kill 2 birds with one stone but like Joe said take it easy at first let your muscle get back in the groove

As for my goals, my goal is to get back into boxing shape over the next couple of months. I have no aspirations of becoming a bodybuilder or powerlifter. But I would like to get my muscles nice and strong again after sitting on my ass for the last 3 years.

Ironweb is offline Member

My 2 cents

I would do both cardio and weights. Remember the more muscle mass you have the more calories are burned while relaxed. I would rest about a minute between sets while lifting weights. Watch your diet. Adjust your daily intake of calories. For example 2000 calories one day then 2500 calories the next and so forth. If you restrict your calories too much your body will slow down your metabolism. Drink lots of water. Eat 5-6 small meals a day and keep your metabolism going. Good luck

If you want to get into boxing, then do lots of cardio. You want to be strong, but you don't want to get bulky really. Too much bulk is hard to carry in a ring and because it's more metabolically active, it will make it harder to go for 10 rounds. If you're only doing three round bouts, then you'll be okay with a little bulk. 5 rounds is kinda hard to do with a lot of bulk also. When I say too much bulk, I mean more than what you would normally have if you didn't workout for mass. Most heavy weight fighters are naturally stocky, they don't tend to work out and take suppliments to get bigger.

Thread Information