Knicks685 is offline New Member

Question Please Critique Routine

Hey all, I'm 18 years old 150 pounds. I'm currently taking 10grams of creatine in a dextrose solution (Homemade cell-tech) and 6 grams of L-arginine a day. My diet is pretty well in order. I'm taking N-Large 2 and eating as much protein as I can but being that I'm in college, it's easier said than done. I haven't been serious about working out until 2 months ago. I've read a lot of boards and the various workout methods that exist. However, I have heard that you shouldn't use some of the methods until you are very much into working out and have plateaued. Anyway, this is my current routine. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated. Thanks.

Day 1-Chest
    Incline Hammer-4x10,8,6,6
    Flat bench-4x10,8,6,6
    Pec Dec-4x10,8,6,6

Day 2- Arms
    Tricep Pushdown-3x10,8,6
    Skullcrushers- 3x10,8,6
    Kickbacks- 3x10,8,6
    Straight bar curl-3x10,8,6 (every other week we switch straight bar to heavy dumbell curls)
    Hammer curls-3x10,8,6
    Wrist curls-3x10,8,6
    Reverse wrist curls-3x10,8,6

Day 3- Shoulders
    Shoulder Press-3x10,8,6
    Side Lat raises-3x10,8,6
    Front lat Raises-3x10,8,6
    Rear Delt Machine-3x10,8,6
    Shrugs-3x10,8,6

Day 4-Back
    T-Bar-3x10,8,6
    Close grip Pull-in--3x10,8,6
    Lat Pulldown--3x10,8,6
    Hyperextensions-3 sets until failure holding 10 lbs

Day 5-Legs
    Hacksquat-3x10,8,6
    Leg Curl-3x10,8,6
    Leg Extension-3x10,8,6
    Calf Raises-3x10,8,6

decadbal is offline Banned
    well to break a plat you will have to change a little an put out some effort.. on chest id try the 5x5 for a little or switch to dumbell presses. id add squats and deadlifts to the routine, that will help your body over all get stronger. legs respond better to higer reps to. your 10,8,6 is good for main parts, but auxiarly(however u spell that word..lol) you will wanna use the same reps, they are more for shapin the muscle, not growth, they do help grow, just not as much as core..

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I will say this, and I say it often. Hell, i'm even gonna break down the numbers for you. I continue to be blown away by the number of well meaning trainers that dedicate an entire day and 21 sets to arms (just arms....JUST arms, nothing else) yet attempt to apportion the entirety of their lower body in one day as well! And, in this case, you're doing less total sets and volumes for the entirety of the muscles falling below your waist than you are for those muscles comprising the space between your shoulder and elbow. The breakdown, mathematically speaking, looks like this:

You're working out for five days per week with 80% of your time (to say nothing of volume yet) dedicated to approximately 50% of your body. Even more telling is the volume breakdown: 60 total sets for above the waist and one fifth that for everything below!! You are doing five times the number of sets for your upper body...that borders on criminal. You may not want the biggest legs in the gym, but TRUST me when I say you'll never see your upper body absolutely take off like you do when you start diligently hitting the lower body. It's NOT bull****.

Knicks685 is offline New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    I will say this, and I say it often. Hell, i'm even gonna break down the numbers for you. I continue to be blown away by the number of well meaning trainers that dedicate an entire day and 21 sets to arms (just arms....JUST arms, nothing else) yet attempt to apportion the entirety of their lower body in one day as well! And, in this case, you're doing less total sets and volumes for the entirety of the muscles falling below your waist than you are for those muscles comprising the space between your shoulder and elbow. The breakdown, mathematically speaking, looks like this:

You're working out for five days per week with 80% of your time (to say nothing of volume yet) dedicated to approximately 50% of your body. Even more telling is the volume breakdown: 60 total sets for above the waist and one fifth that for everything below!! You are doing five times the number of sets for your upper body...that borders on criminal. You may not want the biggest legs in the gym, but TRUST me when I say you'll never see your upper body absolutely take off like you do when you start diligently hitting the lower body. It's NOT bull****.
    Thanks for the advice guys. I see exactly what you mean. What do you reccomend for lower body? Im doing hacks now just so I get used to the movement of squatting. I will definately move to squats once I get comfortable. Should I up my reps for legs or should I decrease my reps for everything else?

Thread Information