Slugger is offline Junior Member

Never done squats or deads. How to get started?

I was thinking of starting both at say 95 lbs for a set of 10 and pyramid down to 8,6,4,2 while jumping 10 lbs every set. I'm 6' 210 24 years old. Is 95 lbs. too light? Too heavy? This is for a complete newbie to squats.

still growin is offline Member
    [QUOTE=Slugger]I was thinking of starting both at say 95 lbs for a set of 10 and pyramid down to 8,6,4,2 while jumping 10 lbs every set. I'm 6' 210 24 years old. Is 95 lbs. too light? Too heavy? This is for a complete newbie to squats.[/QU

You need to find a weight that YOU can comfortably do for the desired number of reps. The first time, try 95, wich imo is light, and see how many reps you can do before you get tired. You should try to do 12-15 reps first set, then 12, 10, 8, 6. 2 reps is only asking to show off ( which you aren't) or get hurt. After a few tries you will see what fits you best.

daem is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SGFuryZ
    Make sure your form is correct. It's more important that you perfect your technique before actually squatting or d/l'ing heavy...
    with your size i completely agree that 95 might be too light of a working set weight, but it will be perfect for you to get the feel of the movement.

since you are completely new to squats and deads i would aim to have perfect form every rep so your body gets used to the new stress.

at your size i would start with a plate on each side for 135 because your quads will have to be that strong to carry your 210 frame. adjust from there...

perfect your form and watch those quads/hammies grow along with the stack of plates on each side!

good luck.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daem
    since you are completely new to squats and deads i would aim to have perfect form every rep so your body gets used to the new stress.
    good luck.
    i cant agree more with this. perfect form will help your lifts tenfold in the future when you feel comfortable lifting heavy.

alpineslide is offline Junior Member
    Keep your squat reps in the 10-12 range for all sets until you become accustomed to the exercise.....95 sounds light.

For dead lifts I'd do reps in the 5-8 range with a full reset on each rep....no touch and goes.....I'm sure that you'll probably find that 95 is to light for you there as well.

I'm about your size 6'00" and weigh 210. I just started deads recently myself and the sixth deadlift workout in I pulled 445 lbs. My goal is 500 by the end of next summer and 550 by christmas. Most of what I've been reading from the deadlift kings on various boards say to only do them every other week.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    I'd say start off by buying some aspirin....

nj123 is offline Member
    you could even try the smith machine first.. when i first started squating again after about a year of not doing anything i tried to squat on the rack and could barely get 135 for 10 reps just because i guess my stabilizer muscles were so weak, so i started using the smith machine just to get my form and my legs to start getting used to it all. Then after a while i moved back to the squat rack

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    I also say to start with a smith machine and very low weight. You don't want to risk injuring your knee since they are very sensative.

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I thought I read somewhere that the smith machine eliminates/reduces the stabilizer role in squats...That and it isnt conducive for good form....

Quote Originally Posted by nj123
    you could even try the smith machine first.. when i first started squating again after about a year of not doing anything i tried to squat on the rack and could barely get 135 for 10 reps just because i guess my stabilizer muscles were so weak, so i started using the smith machine just to get my form and my legs to start getting used to it all. Then after a while i moved back to the squat rack

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    I think that starting with the smith machine taught me some reaaly bad habits. Barbell squats with intelligent progression in weight is the best policy.

Youve never done squats or deads?! Holy geez! Well, forget about all this steroid stuff, youre about to start growin'

For a beginner, or for a person with an injury the smith can be really helpful. there are a handful of top professionals that only use the smith for squats. I think a person should start with a smith and then move over to the cage.

nj123 is offline Member
    the smith machine helped me alot when i first started to workout seriously but i had already had a good amount of experience with squats and good form.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteykauai
    make sure you have EXCELLENT form when doing these excersises youo will need to practice a lot before you get good form, and you will definately hurt yourself if you do them wrong
    agreed, if you feel comfortable starting with 95lbs, then by all means go ahead.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    but it is safe........... and allows you to work explosively with heavier weight than you would normally do......

Quote Originally Posted by AbsolutelyLethal
    I thought I read somewhere that the smith machine eliminates/reduces the stabilizer role in squats...That and it isnt conducive for good form....
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

I was thinking about for the next 4 weeks do reps 15,12,10 and than for 4 weeks after that 12,10,8, and than for 4 weeks after that do 10,8,6, and than finally do 10,8,6,4, with a final fifth set to failure and all of these rep schemes I will be increasing weight every set.

I was also thinking of doing this not only for squats and deads but for all my lifts seeing I haven't lifted in a while. That means Bench, curls, tris, seated rows, lat pulldowns, etc. will be by this schedule and timeline.

What do you guys think. I think by doing it this way I 1)won't injure myself. 2)get my form back 3)build up my lifting stamina so after 12 weeks I can finally go from 3 sets to 5 with the last set of the 5 being to failure.

Is this a good idea?

Sounds okay to me. But like I always tell everyone, you have to figure out what works for you. I do think that would be a pretty good way to get yourself back into the swing of things and minimize injury.

DBarcelo, and anyone else who wants to answer, can I get size and trength gains by just doing 3 sets of reps of 15,12,10? Keep in mind I will be increasing the weight each set.

If you're talking about doing it with squats or deadlifts, they can both be dangerous doing it that way if you haven't done them before. It should work, but I'd say to get at least a month under your belt so you can develop the support muscles that are involved. Unless you're talking about using light weight and peramiding up to like 150lbs. I personally wouldn't even go past 100lbs until I know I have my form down pact and I know I'm not going to get hurt because of some tiny support muscle not being strong enough. Your quads will get stronger much quicker than the support muscles involved and you can end up with lower back problems as a result. But the most important thing that can't be stressed enough is form. Get your form done before you worry about the amount of weight you're pushing.

Well today I squatted 135 x 15, 145 x 12 and 155 x 10. I deadlifted the same amount. I felt weak as ****. Would it be better if for say...5 weeks I just did leg extensions for my quads, leg curls for my hams, and hyper extensions for my lower back and than after 5 or 6 weeks THAN start doing squats and deads? That way I can strengthen my legs and stabalizers BEFORE I start squatting and deadlifting.

DARKSEID is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    Well today I squatted 135 x 15, 145 x 12 and 155 x 10. I deadlifted the same amount. I felt weak as ****. Would it be better if for say...5 weeks I just did leg extensions for my quads, leg curls for my hams, and hyper extensions for my lower back and than after 5 or 6 weeks THAN start doing squats and deads? That way I can strengthen my legs and stabalizers BEFORE I start squatting and deadlifting.
    No, just stick with those lifts, the strength will come with time and practice.

I would say to do the extensions and stuff first, but since you've already started doing the squats and deadlifts, how does it feel? If you feel pain in the joints, tendons or your spine then stop and do the other excercises, if you feel okay, then keep doing the squats and stuff.

Why do you think I should do the extensions and stuff first?

powerlifter is offline Anabolic Member
    Bro if you wanna get some true thickness Squats are a must - my.02

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I seriously agree with taking the time on squats and deads and getting the form down right...I started analyzing my form on ALL lifts, decided I wanted to see if I was doing everything to its max potential. I started cutting the weight down, slower negative and quick positive in each rep, increased Range of motion, etc. Im seeing, and feeling!, results through the roof...

Lose the BIGinitous(spelling?)...Like they say, it isnt practice makes perfect but PERFECT practice, e.g. good form with the correct amount of weight...

I kept increasing the weight on deads thinking I was making good gains. Looking at my form I soon realized that I was missing the bottom portion of the form, like I was weaker there then on the upper part. My legs were locking out with little weight movement up and I was ending up doing like straight leg deadlifts almost with like 400 lbs, no good for the lower back in the long run....

Thread Information