awesomeguy39 is offline New Member

Major back surgery, need some ideas !

I am hoping some of you gym rats out there can help me figure out some creative ideas for lifting.

Three and a half mos. Ago I had lower back surgery, not just any ole fix, this was major. I had herniated discs, cracked vert., and spondylolisthesis, (I got that because I kept lifting after I got the herniations) . So…..now with three pounds of titanium in my back almost all of the lower vert. fused, I am faced with trying to rebuild with limitations.
    It’s all good…I have always loved a challenge, (you all know how we are !) The bone hasn’t totally fused so I have to stay away from direct pressure right now, I also think deads and squats wont ever happen again. Here is what I am doing right now:

Chest: Mach. Flyes, Seated Mach. Bnch, Hammer Strngth for declines. (will start dips for chest in a few weeks).

Back: W/G pull ups, seated horiz. Rows(against chest pad), clse grip pull downs.

Arms: Bent curls (like a row but curling towards opp shoulder),Preacher curls, Incline hammers.
    Tri dips, pressdowns, tri ext. (seated machine)

Shoulders: so far only light military presses (seated)

Legs: so far only light leg presses, light extensions , calf raises (seatd also).

Well, there ya have it guys, any ideas out there ??

Oh by the way, diets right, lost 25lbs of muscle through it all and gained about 10 lbs of fat, I am 210 pres, 6’, and guessing bf around 17%.

nj123 is offline Member
    for legs you could maybe do some sprinting and shoulders you could use the lower cable for upright rows along with the lateral and front raises

nj, isolations will be great for shoulders once the bone fuses compltely and i can handle some weight, especially since lower #'s can be used. I hadn't thought about sprints, great idea........

I am kinda freaked out about losing my lower body mass builders though......

nj123 is offline Member
    yea i know what you mean. i had hernia surgery and couldnt do squats or anything for a while.. even bench press i could feel it stretching my stomach

Well, thought i was gonna cash in on a motherload of innovative excercises !! Ha, is all good though. These guys have better things to do with their time for sure.

I did figure out how to work traps though, upside down on my total gym with plates !
    Same with military presses... will get me through untill bones fuse solid.

Well, NJ , thanks for your input bro !
    Guess this thread is officially closed ....................keep liftin brothers

Thread Information