Terinox is offline The One & Only

Is This Good Cardio ???

I've started doing cardio three times a week, plus a little bit on workout days. My workout days are M/W/F and on those days I do about 20 minutes of cardio only. But on Tu/Th/Sat I've started to do about 1 hour of cardio. There are different things to do, but I was wondering if doing 15mins running/15mins stairmaster/30mins bike, is this good? Or am I not doing the exercise long enough? Is it better to try and run for 1 hour straight?? I haven't done cardio hardcore in a long time, so I'm all out of shape. I can't run for more then about 15-20 mins before legs cramping up, and chest hurting. Bike I can go for about 45mins probably. And maybe 20 mins on the stairmaster, on a good day.

What do you think? Any opinions on cardio would help out a lot, I really want to get back into the cardio shape/mood before I start Clen . That way when i'm actually on Clen, I can handle the cardio.

Thnx
    Terinox

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Just do what you can and build up. Run at a slower pace so you can run longer.

Bike - you can go forever on a bike.
    EFX elliptical - you can go forever on these too
    Stairmaster - good leg workout, wouldn't recommend the day after legs cause I'm sure you'll be hurtin.

I just do enough cardio to get my heart rate up and hold it for a while so I can work myself back into shape. An hour on the treadmill is a lot - I'm not training for a marathon.

When you hit your clen , throw on a long sleeve shirt and run indoors on that. It'll help you sweat a lot if you're looking to cut up.

bravo11p is offline Associate Member

cardio

Any type of cardio is good. The goal is to keep your heart rate at 60-70% of max. Splitting up is also OK. I do the same thing but on workout days, I cardio for 30 min and off days, 45-60 min. I also split up my cardio work outs, EFX, stair climber, bike. I try do do at least 20 minutes on each though.

Alright kool, thnx for the advice.

Anything anyone else wants to add is appreciated

Terinox

Ironweb is offline Member
    Try running 30 minutes varying your intensity you may find some very good results. Generally 2 mins. easy jog. Then 2 mins faster. Then 2 mins close to a sprint almost. Then repeat the cycle. Your causing your body to adapt to the increased intensity therefore making it rely on more energy to support this. Mix it up try steady jogs one day then vary your intensity the next. Besides it takes away the monotony of everyday cardio.

PaPaPumP is offline Retired Moderator
    Jogging pounds the HELL out of your joints. They get enough torture from backin out of the squat rack with 3-4 wheels a side...don't they?

EFX, Bike, Stairmaster is the only way to go IMO. My joints can't take the pounding, and I'm a youngin.

I forgot to ask before, but what the hell is EFX ???

I think I might know what machine it is, but not 100% certain, can u describe it? (Is it the gliding type one?)

Thnx
    Terinox

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    treadmill is the way to go..but do it this way....don't run...keep a good grade going..around 7-10 and keep it at no less the 3.5 mph. doing this for 30 mins. eod. if you run you heart rate is higher and you will get more cardiovascular exercise out of it rather then fat burning. Don't get me wrong you will burn fat..but if you walk on and incline and at a good pace...the fat will just fall off.

give that a try.

GenuinePL is offline Senior Member
    I'm 20,
    I do bike 3 times a week for 30 min and HR 140 it works for me.

If you do treadmill don't run like shredz said, just speed walk.

Originally posted by Shredz
    treadmill is the way to go..but do it this way....don't run...keep a good grade going..around 7-10 and keep it at no less the 3.5 mph. doing this for 30 mins. eod. if you run you heart rate is higher and you will get more cardiovascular exercise out of it rather then fat burning. Don't get me wrong you will burn fat..but if you walk on and incline and at a good pace...the fat will just fall off.

give that a try.
    Is that what you meant Shredz...speedwalking? The idea does sound good, but what does grade mean? Is that the same as speed or does grade mean the incline level of the treadmill? Isn't 7-10 too high for that? I've seen the machines go as high as 5, but not sure.

So running fast doesn't actually burn fat that well. You mean I should pick a constant "speed walking" speed and just walk like that? What about a light job, is that okay? Kind of like I was hopping on the treadmill? Or is it just best to walk, but walk fast?

Let me know (cardio day tomorrow )

Thnx a lot.
    Terinox

xenithon is offline Member
    hi there. i also have a problem with joints and running. i also want to rather do speedwalking cause it doesnt hurt my joints. i am not sure about yer speeds cause they are in mph and we work in km/h. is doing it at around 7.5km/h good? also i do about 4 to 5 incline, i think its max is 7. thanks! will this get the heart rate up as well as bike or rowing?

beenie is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry so much about the type of cardio you are doing Terinox. There are advantages and disadvantages to each of them as discussed by other responders in this thread. My question is at what intensity are you going? Do you have a hear rate monitor? Are you building up a sweat?

When I was trying to cut I did a lot more than you are doing right now, and I suspect I was at a much higher intensity. Heck, I figure that the intensity that I go is higher than just about anyone, but that's me. Right now I am adding mass, and I am doing more cardio than you. In bulking I do a 7 minute waem up on the tradmill:

Minute 1: 3.5mph
    Minute 2: 8.0 mph
    Minute 3: 8.5 mph
    Minute 4: 9.0 Mph
    Minute 5: 8.5 mph
    Minute 6: 8.0 mph
    Minute 7: 3.5 mph

For me this warm up goes so that I just begin to break a sweat. I think that I burn about 100 calories in the 7 minutes (One candy bar has 200 calories Terinox).

After I get done lifting I am currently doing 20 minutes of cardio on the treadmil at 9mph. This keeps my heartrate at about 137.

As I said this is what I do for bulking. For cutting I do more like 45 minutes or an our 4 or 5 days a week. FOr me that means running at 8.0 or 8.5 mph. In other words keeping my heart rate in the low 130s. If I can do it gor an hour, I calculate that I am burning over 1,000 calories. You will lose some mucles, but not a lot. It facilites leaness.

For me it took a while to work up to what I am doing. When I first started I could only run at 6.5 mph for two minutes. So, that's what I did. I would run for2 minutes then wal for two, then run for two and walf for two. One day I foun I could run for three minutes and walk for two. Later Run for 4 walk for two. Finally I found that I could keep running the whole time, so I gradually increased the speed.

As far as what cardio you do and how you do it, its not as important in the particulars. Someone said to go slow and do it at an incline. That has some advantages. I go fast without an incline, that has some advantages too. Sometimes I do the bike the stairmaster or the eliptical machine,: it just depends on how I feel. The one comonality is that I am getting my heart rate up and keeping it there for a sustained period (20 minutes 45 minutes, 60 minutes orr whatever.

There are some old fat guys at my gym who come and walk at 3 mph for 20 minutes. Perhaps they burn 50 calories. No or little cardio benefit. As far as I am concerned they are just taking up space. But then- thats me, and perhaps I am being too judgemental.

Do you have a heart rate monitor a Terinox? Give me the reading.

One other thing that someone said her is that at high intensity ot becomes a cardio workout and you are not burning fat when you elevate you heart rate. Not true. You get cardio benefit in addition to fat burnig at higher rates. The reason you would lower intensity is to retain muscle.I have seen you pic and I think you have muscle to spare. If you do lower intensity you want to go for longer periods of time.
    Last edited by beenie; 04-01-2002 at 05:53 AM.

Hi beenie,

Actually, the thing is, I decided to stop the cardio...but...well I'm not really sure. I've just felt a little shitty the past two weeks or so, so I decided to take a break from the cardio, but I'm not sure if it's just a break, or I'm stopping it for good (for now).

However, when I was doing cardio, I would take my own pulse, and it was always between 130-150 (somewhere along those lines) and yes it would stay fairly constant for about 30 minutes or so. I never do treadmill though, it would hurt my legs real fast. So I stuck to bike and stairmaster. But even after doing all that cardio (for about 2 months) my weight stayed constant. My strength wasn't really affected.

I've been thinking of just dumping the cardio, and just sticking with weight lifting, which is what I have been doing for the past 2 years. My weight has always stayed around 182.5 pounds (give or take about 5 pounds). It keeps going up and down. But still it stays steady.

So, I was guessing (i'm not sure if this is true or not), but if I keep doing bodybuilding, and my muscles keep getting bigger, and I keep getting stronger, and my weight still stays the same, then doesn't that mean that slowly my body fat is actually going down? And being replaced my muscle???

So let me know what you think

thnx

FromFleshtoSteel is offline Associate Member
    In the spring/summer/fall I go XC Mtn. Biking instead of doing cardio. It's a lot more interesting, and I get an awesome adrenaline rush when I hit up the rocky descents. I got my knee scoped about 2 1/2 years ago too and biking isn't as hard on my joints as running.

Rodjius is offline New Member

How do you like clen?

Hi!
    I am a college student and I have been kicking up my cardio with cardio classes (step, and others) to help me get into cardio, maybe that might be a helpful tip to help you.

But I have a question for you. How do you like clen ? How many pills do you take and for what is a reasonable price for me to pay for it? I am sick and tired of taking ripped fuel; my body is probably immune to it.

Keep me posted--
    Jessica

Hi,

First of all, you don't take the Ripped Fuel none stop do you? You do cycle it right? Like two weeks on then two weeks off?

Personally I'm just sick and tired of the cardio, and I think it affects my workouts, so I'm pretty much gonna stop the cardio for now, and hit the weights harder, and hopefully keep gaining muscle, while I keep my body weight the same. That way, hopefully my fat will just naturally go down, while muscle mass goes up.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh? I really don't think you need something like Clen . I think you can stick to some OTC fat burners. Try different products like Hydroxycut and Xenadrine. These products work great with the amount of cardio that you say you are doing. Plus, you must keep your diet in perfect check.

Also, you might want to try doing some ECA before trying Clen. You do know that Clen is illegal right

Terinox>

Based on a well balanced diet its simply a matter of biology. You must burn more calories than you are taking in. If your weight is not coming down you must either do more cardio or take in fewer calories. Take all the pills in the world and it won't change much. Sure you can get a minor bump from clen or ECA, but ulimately the sad truth is that it takes will power.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

beenie,

What about the whole weight lifting and keeping the weight constant, yet gaining muscle mass? I mean from my post up there, is that possible? If my weight stays the same, but my strength increases and I seem to look (in the mirror) more muscular, doesn't that mean that something is happening? Like my body fat is going down?

Is it POSSIBLE: yes it is possible. Is it Likely: no. Muscle takes a longer to buld than fat does to come off. At least thats been my experience.

I do a thing where I try to build for two or three months, then I try to cut for 2 or three months. When i am cutting I get some musclle loss and lose some of the gains. I just chalk it up to the priice of doing business.

I see, that's a way of doing it i guess

Hmm...we'll I think what I will do is just keep building muscle for now, and lay off the cardio. But, when I start doing steroids , which will be in a little over one year from now, then I will start doing the cardio again, because I will have more muscle to lose if I lose any

if your aiming at fat loss then maybe try some jump roping and if I was sure that the workout I have on track and field thing then I'd send ya to it but I am unsure of it and need some comments on it

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    This thread is sooo old bro..... (over 2 years)

Prime is offline Naturally perfect
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazingTiger20
    if your aiming at fat loss then maybe try some jump roping and if I was sure that the workout I have on track and field thing then I'd send ya to it but I am unsure of it and need some comments on it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is This Good Cardio ???-newbie1.jpg  

Blown_SC is offline Retired Vet
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime
    Don't pay attention to Prime bro.. you have just made a newb mistake... no worries...

Plus, Prime's just a former banned member anyways.....

Hi Hoss!

Thread Information