Slugger is offline Junior Member

Need help from former or current boxers

I have some questions for all the former boxers on this site. I asked these questions on a couple other boards but I'm sure you guys could help me as well.

I have been on a layoff from working out for 3 years (that means everything boxing,running, lifting). I just turned 24. Im 6' 210 with a gut. I have been drinking and partying for the last 3 years. I used to box amateurs but now I want to get back into it.

I just started lifting again for about a month and I'm sore as hell! Anyway my question is this: I have two paths I can take too get back into shape. What is the most realistic and affective plan...

Should I...

A) start everything at once (lifting,running,boxing,etc) and start light on all of them.

or should I B) ease into everything (just lift for a month...than add running... and than after a month of lifting and running than start boxing).

I am very sore right now from a month of squats. Should I start everything (plan A) even though I'm sore or should I do plan B.

Also,

1.How many days a week should I run for miles and how many days should I run sprints?

2)How many days should I work my abs?

3)How many days should I lift weights?

4) Does soreness eventually go away as your body becomes used to the training? For instance, a month from now am I still gonna be as sore after a squat workout as I am at this stage?

Thanks in advance fellas!

RockyX is offline Senior Member
    My Opinion in Caps

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger
    I have some questions for all the former boxers on this site. I asked these questions on a couple other boards but I'm sure you guys could help me as well.

I have been on a layoff from working out for 3 years (that means everything boxing,running, lifting). I just turned 24. Im 6' 210 with a gut. I have been drinking and partying for the last 3 years. I used to box amateurs but now I want to get back into it.

I just started lifting again for about a month and I'm sore as hell! Anyway my question is this: I have two paths I can take too get back into shape. What is the most realistic and affective plan...

Should I...

A) start everything at once (lifting,running,boxing,etc) and start light on all of them.

or should I B) ease into everything (just lift for a month...than add running... and than after a month of lifting and running than start boxing).

I am very sore right now from a month of squats. Should I start everything (plan A) even though I'm sore or should I do plan B.

I SAY PLAN A, THE SOONER THE BETTER BRO. START EATING RIGHT AND HITTING IT HARD.

Also,

1.How many days a week should I run for miles and how many days should I run sprints?

IT ALL DEPENDS ON YOU AND YOUR BOXING STYLE. IF YOU EXPECT A LOT OF ROUNDS I WOULD RECOMMEND RUNNING LONG DISTANCE FOR ENDURANCE PURPOSES, AND MAYBE DO THE SPRINTS ONCE A WEEK.

2)How many days should I work my abs?

LOTS OF DIFFERENT OPINIONS ON THIS ONE. SOME PEOPLE SAY ONCE, SOME PEOPLE SAY THREE TIMES....MAKE A COMPROMISE AND DO THEM TWICE.

3)How many days should I lift weights?

THERE IS A LOT OF CONTROVERSY OVER IF BOXING AND WEIGHT LIFTING IS A GOOD COMBINATION. A LOT OF THE PROS SAY FREE WEIGHTS ARE A NO NO. BUT SINCE YOU ARE TRYING TO GET IN SHAPE FIRST, I WOULD SAY AT LEAST THREE TIMES A WEEK, BUT BE SURE TO HIT THE BAG EVERY DAY!

4) Does soreness eventually go away as your body becomes used to the training? For instance, a month from now am I still gonna be as sore after a squat workout as I am at this stage?

THE SORENESS DOES GO AWAY, HOW LONG IT TAKES VARIES FROM PERSON TO PERSON. I WOULD SAY AFTER A MONTH OR TWO OF A CONSISTENT ROUTINE, THE SORENESS WILL DECREASE.

Thanks in advance fellas!

THA GONZ is offline Associate Member
    It won't hurt to start everything at once bro, you may be alittle sore but It will go away.
    I think you should start out building your endurance by running at a good pace for as long as you can, start slow and let it build.
    Its not gonna comeback overnight.
    When you get into good enough shape to run a good distance without killing yourself, then I would start to pick it up alittle.

Boxing is not a one paced sport so neither should your running. I train like this start at a slow jog for 1 minute, then sprint(or run as fast as you can for 1-2 min then back down to a slow jog for 1min, then repeat for the number of rounds you are planning on fighting.
    You could also do a step aproach, which is jog 10 steps then sprint 10 steps, jog 20 steps then sprint 20 steps, go from 10 - 100 in incriments of 10 then back down to 10.

Those running drills will help you get ready for the sudden spurts of punching you will have to do in the fight and still be able to go the distance.

I usually run everyother day or every third day

As for lifting bro, my trainer always tells me its not good to be big and bulky, when I put on to much size he gets on me. The bigger you are the less movement you have, your muscle fatigues quicker, and usually the less stamina you will have.
    I recomend doing high rep light weight exercises to enlongate the muscle, plus your trying to cut of some fat so this will also help. do weight you can do between 10-15 reps of with strict form.
    Always stretch after workouts to stay loose!

As far as how many days you should lift, really depends on you and how you feel. As Rocky X stated 3 days/week should be good to start

I also work my abs about everyother day, but again see how you feel.

Just make sure you have atleast one day a week off to rest your body completely.

Slugger is offline Junior Member
    Anyone else?

Thread Information