Slugger is offline Junior Member

Stretching while sore?

When you are sore the next day from lifting, is it good to stretch that muscle? For example if I did legs yesterday and my legs are killing me today, should I try to stretch them or let them heal until next week when I do legs again THAN stretch them before I workout.

LM1332 Guest
    ppl say its good but for me god it hurts even more the next day use something like icyhott its good

Mu'min is offline Associate Member
    LIGHT stretching helps me. It gets the blood flowing. But I must agree that too much stretching only makes me hurt more the next day.

animal-inside is offline Senior Member
    the proper way is too do a light warm up (start sweating) then stretch... then lift,... then a cool down period of walking.. then a final stretch (the most important one)..

and strecthing of a muscle after lifting should be light.. what would also help is light exercise.. for your legs after leg day a 20 min walk then a light stretch would help greatrly

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    I always stretch lightly and it seems to help some.

znak is offline Senior Member
    Animal is right on. Great advice.

Note three types of stretching:
    Light sweat+ warm up stretch
    Cool down + stretch

Post work out/day off- walk/warm up + stretch

The two days after doing legs, I am like a cripple... light exercise and stretching really helps.

BOUNCER is offline Retired Vet
    Ok here's how I explain to newbies in the gym. Never, ever stretch a cold muscle. Think of your muscles as chewing gum, when its cold its hard to stretch and when you do it breaks, warm it up and it becomes soft and pliable, easy to stretch and harder to break. I hope that makes sense. As regards stretching a sore muscle, do so but only after a gentle warm up first. You really have to have blood flowing into the muscle otherwise you risk an injury.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bouncer AKA bouncer
    Ok here's how I explain to newbies in the gym. Never, ever stretch a cold muscle. Think of your muscles as chewing gum, when its cold its hard to stretch and when you do it breaks, warm it up and it becomes soft and pliable, easy to stretch and harder to break. I hope that makes sense. As regards stretching a sore muscle, do so but only after a gentle warm up first. You really have to have blood flowing into the muscle otherwise you risk an injury.
    Good analogy.

Thread Information