rych is offline New Member

Newbie Needs Help !!?!

Hi My Names Ryan
    im 18 almost 19 male from vancouver, b.c., and i jus bought my first weight set ... its got 100lbs of weights ( not concrete filled ), and the bar ... i wanna start working out or dieting as some would say ... but i dont wanna lose weight .. i wanna gain weight but also define my arms and pecks more .. how would i do this ... or wot would be a good diet type thing to go on .... i read the latest post where the guy said how he had his day one as a work out then day two run etc ,, thats wot id wanna do but i dont kno the way of working out each muscle and i dont kno wot i should be eating every week can someone help me out on wot types of food are good for me to be eating in this situation .. i currently weigh around 145 and im 5'10" .. i can bench 80 comfortably 110 if i have to

thanx alot
    ryan

LM1332 Guest
    1) buy a book with illustrations and/or 2) get a gym membership and learn from watching and/or 3) get a personal trainer for a week or so

JoeB is offline Associate Member

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Two suggestions then some caveats.

1. Though I hate to recommend/endorse anything associated with Bill Phillips for many, many reasons, Body For Life, in my experience, is able to convey the "big picture" to a weight training newbie like few other publications are able to do. Of course, you have to sift through some marketing and cliched 'feel good' prose to get at its core, but its well worth the effort in my opinion. I've recommended the book to many PT clients in your position and the feedback is overwhelmingly positive.

2. Now this I love to endorse - stay here, in this forum....scroll through ALL the pages and read anything with a decent number of replies (in this forum 7 or 8 replies may be considered fairly decent) in an attempt to synthesize all of this information. You'll develop a sense for what workouts are bad, which are good, which are controversial, etc, etc.

*As promised, a caveat or two to keep you grounded: First and foremost, do NOT take all of the workouts you'll see here to be emblematic of what you should be doing. I'm thinking of three or four threads you'll see right off the bat where you'll be excited to try it, but not one of the three is designed nor intended for someone with anything less than a few years of experience. Secondly, you'll outgrow this home bought weightset fairly quickly, but keep it around for those times when you're in a crunch. I can't count the number of times that a set of 30 pound dumbbells and an old 70 pound weider bar have gotten me out of a car-not-working or snowstorm jam. Third, and lastly, (for now) realize that you're going to make a bit of a fool of yourself and stumble around for a while. It's all very much part of the learning process, as most here will attest to. Unless you've very fortunate and have a high level training partner who will be with you constantly, it's a certainty. If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me.

rych is offline New Member
    thanx alot guys that helped soo much

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    I learned how to lift weights from looking at the pics in the magazines, I used to study each picture and figure out how to do the excersise and then try it and see if it worked for me, i found this to work really good. Just dont pay any attention to the ads in the magazines, their useless...LOL.

Thread Information