Thread: Pyramid?

Pyramid?

What does it mean to pyramid the weight?

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    means every set you go up in weight till you reach your top weight then next sets you come back down, it's an antiquated way of lifting in my opinion

How much weight is usaully added? 10 lbs or so?

scottninpo is offline Senior Member
    depends on how many sets, what you like to warm up with, what rep range you want to hit with each set
    don't even bother with this method, look up doggcrapp training and give that a try, if you follow it exactly, you won't be sorry you did

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    How you configure your reps, sets and wieghts depends on your current goals and what you have learned best trains your body or that particular muscle group... but here are some basic pyramiding terms:

Pyramid: Increase the load with each set
    Double Pyramid: Increase the load - then come back down
    Flat Pryamid: Keep the resistance the same for all sets

How much you would increase the resistance would depend on the movement and how much you can tollerate. Adding 20 pounds to a bar for someone pushing 405 pounds might only bring the repetitions down one or two... but adding 20 pounds to a bar of someone pushing 135 pounds would dramatically effect the ability to push the weight...

Here is a poll: Reps, Sets, Load

Spoon is offline 'Lurker at the threshold'
    Quote Originally Posted by scottninpo
    means every set you go up in weight till you reach your top weight then next sets you come back down, it's an antiquated way of lifting in my opinion
    Well said bro!

Spoon

Xavier_4446 is offline Senior Member
    Here is a question that I always had. I have always heard go to failure every set, and I try to keep it between 8-12 reps. After I do a certain weight I can only get around 12, then i can increase to 10, but then if i add more weight i can only ripp off like 6 or so, and trust me, i'm screaming with effort. so I sometimes go down just to keep my failure rate between 8-12 reps. This bad?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Xavier_4446
    Here is a question that I always had. I have always heard go to failure every set, and I try to keep it between 8-12 reps. After I do a certain weight I can only get around 12, then i can increase to 10, but then if i add more weight i can only ripp off like 6 or so, and trust me, i'm screaming with effort. so I sometimes go down just to keep my failure rate between 8-12 reps. This bad?
    No matter what type of pyramiding you use it doesn't mean every set is done to concentric failure. In fact, usually you allow your muscles and connective tissue to warm up with the first few sets... for safety reasons. Jumping under the iron full blown off the bat can set you up for injury - and a possible tear.

How much more weight you can add to the load and still get your desired repetitions depends on the movement, fast/slow twitch ratio and your unique ability to tollerate increased lactate levels and heavy training.

Thread Information