BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Accentuated Negative Training and Certain Lift Issues

For quite some time i've been meaning to include some very deliberate and slow negatives in my training. Something along the lines of the extreme advocated by DoggCrap. A problem I'm seeing, however, is that accentuated negatives to such a degree seem, while not quite counterproductive, a bit inhibitive for such lifts as the deadlift, where I'm envisioning an 8 second or so negative causing grip and similar supporting links to drop off the table long before the target muscles are sufficiently hit.

Has anyone employed such training while including such lifts? I'd be interested in hearing your experiences if so.

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Not for deadlifts... but squats they feel great... but the best muscle group to imply negatives with are shoulders.. nothing like holding a 60-80 lb dumbbell and trying to resist it dropping to the floor..

Brazy is offline Junior Member
    i've done negative's with dead lifts.

you have to use less weight to keep the form perfect.

burns like a mother f***** after

id just do a straight set of 6-8 reps to failure with a 8-10 second negative.. but the last rep id hold it as long as i could

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Well doing certain lifts like the DL for example, its not necessarily an 8 sec negative, its more of just a controlled negative.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I'm very curious as to how you do negatives on deadlifts. Could one of you explain your process? Are we talking deads from the floor or pins in a power rack? I can see negatives used for curls, bench, squats and such but deads doesn't sound like it would be simple to do...........for sure I'd have to drop the poundage for something like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut2148
    I'm very curious as to how you do negatives on deadlifts. Could one of you explain your process? Are we talking deads from the floor or pins in a power rack? I can see negatives used for curls, bench, squats and such but deads doesn't sound like it would be simple to do...........for sure I'd have to drop the poundage for something like this.
    Since it's my own thread, i'm allowed to hijack.....where have you been on IM? I'm currently trying to put into an organized fashion that whole sliding scale thing we started to talk about and hope to post it soon.

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    Sorry bro! Been buried under a pile of crap a mile high. hahahaha I'm still very interested in that sliding scale thing. You're suggestions for my routine I've been using and seeing pretty good results. BTW, the negative pull-ups have done wonders bro...no kidding! I managed two positive pull-ups after three weeks of negatives! Not to mention I swear I see a lat poking out from under this fat. hahahaha

I'll try and pop on IM asap when I see you on-line.

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    Well doing certain lifts like the DL for example, its not necessarily an 8 sec negative, its more of just a controlled negative.
    If'n ya don't mind, could you maybe give me a list (at least as you envision that list) of exercises that experience has shown you to be most efficient when deviating from that basic 8 second guideline? I wouldn't dream of trying it with cleans or something...but with deads and such where I might give it a run, which exercises tend to deviate from that range?

AbsolutelyLethal is offline Associate Member
    I do a controlled negative of 6-8 seconds on partial deadlifts...I guess its a combo of Rack dead and romanian dead....Both back and hammies were shot the next day....Grip was definitely a limiting factor but that just because I have bad grip strength from too many workouts using straps....

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreen
    If'n ya don't mind, could you maybe give me a list (at least as you envision that list) of exercises that experience has shown you to be most efficient when deviating from that basic 8 second guideline? I wouldn't dream of trying it with cleans or something...but with deads and such where I might give it a run, which exercises tend to deviate from that range?
    Well, if you want an exact answer, you would look in the CFP thread as it has been discussed in there. Off the top of my head, i believe there were DL's, squats, bent over rows, basically just the really taxing stuff (which tends to be quads, back thickness, the last exercises) when you're really just giving it everything and more on the last couple reps.

Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    Not for deadlifts... but squats they feel great... but the best muscle group to imply negatives with are shoulders.. nothing like holding a 60-80 lb dumbbell and trying to resist it dropping to the floor..
    OMG....for "****s and giggles" I gave the 8 second negative squats a try today and all i can say is that, while i consider myself a fairly intense trainer, I as of now feel like I never *really* hit legs until today. And wow, all it took was that one set and my knees were knocking the rest of the night. ****.

Thread Information