bigtraps is offline Member

Dumb Bells are the best, But How Do.....

I would rather use dumbells for shoulder and chest exersises.

But how do you guys get those heavy DB up from knees to shoulders, without killing yourself?

When doing flat bench, I can never lean back w/ heavy DB. I allways end up falling of the bench or loosing the DB.

I have tryied to start w/ low wieght, working my way up. So, as to gain control. But i can not contoll anything over 85lb. So i never get a good pump. I also feel that it is a waste of my time to go lite, when i am trying to grow.

ptbyjason Guest
    I kick them with my knees. It works pretty easily for me that way.

KeyMastur is offline VET
    Like Jas said, kick them from your knees to your shoulders as you lay back. If needed, have someone help you get the first one up and go from there.

Scorpion is offline Junior Member
    Have somebody spot you. I saw a kid grab 100lb dumbells and he almost fell off the bench trying to hoist them into position. Luckily a guy right next to him saw and was there to spot him.

RageControl is offline Senior Member
    I stand the dumbbells on my thighs right above my knee cap the closer to the the knee cap the more leverage.I kick both legs up at the same time as i lay down on the bench in one smooth motion . As my back gets closer to the bench i start to rotate the dumbbells and get into form . Damn just talking about it is getting me a lil worked up i love a big dumbbell press

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I sit upright on the bench and as I go to lay flat on the bench I lift the weights up at the same time as going back.Always works for me

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Ditto what Billy Boy said.

There's a certain art to it, which will come with time. Just keep at it bro!! Hell, just be happy that you've got to the point where the weight of the dumbells is causing you grief!

def

Ironweb is offline Member
    Ditto kicking them up with your knees is the best way. One extra piece of advise is to get the D bells as close to your knees as possible. This way it gives you a little extra kick up. If that makes sense...

Shoulder Press
    I see a lot of guys kick them up. My bi’s and shoulders are already pretty strong, so most of the time I just swing them up like doing a massive cheat curl. I wouldn’t recommend doing this cold, as it may result in an injury. But if you’ve warmed them up well first with some fairly light weight, then this method works quit well.

Dumbbell B/P
    I usually just rest them on my knees in a horizontal position (locks on my thigh) and rock back while slightly kicking back my knees. Also, as a simple effective method for bringing them back down. I see a lot of guys just try to bring them down like they are taking a negative on an arm curl. I watch them distort their shoulder joints into all kinds of uncomfortable positions. I don’t only think that this is difficult (especially with heavy weight) but dangerous for you joints and tendons. What I do is when I’ve completed my final rep, I turn my wrists so that my palms are facing together and the weights are now horizontal. I bring my legs up and bend my knees (if you were to see this it would resemble a person sitting on a chair with their arms out in front of them…only in a lying position). Place my knees against the dumbbells and simply rock forward. The momentum of the weight will carry you back to the upright position, with the dumbbells resting on your knees. Simple. Although you may want to practice this a few times as well with lighter weights so you’re used to the movement. Nothing worse than all of the girls in the gym seeing you being catapulted across the room.

Ironweb is offline Member
    This is off the subject but I am feeding off of Big red here. He sparked a memory. Speaking of being catapulted, about a year ago I was doing incline flies and this kid walks up to the rack, grabs a couple db and proceeds to swing them back as he falls back towards the flat bench. What he did not do was look to see where the flat bench was. It was about 3 feet to his left. The poor kid goes flying to the floor db's fly and he jumps up with this dumb founded look. I say are you OK buddy. He just looks at me and says who moved the bench that is where it alway is. LOL I just looked at him and said its been there the whole time maybe you should look first. I never saw him in there again. Funny now when I look at how dumb people can be.

Terinox is offline The One & Only
    ROFL

Who moved the bench!!!

CLASSIC !!!

Terinox

VEGETA990 is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by ptbyjason
    I kick them with my knees. It works pretty easily for me that way.
    That's what I do. However, 85's, forget about it. I'm asking the nearest guy to pick one up and hand it to me. I'll use two hands to get the left one up. Swinging big weights around like that is a good way to really injure yourself, if your gonna use big weights, ask for help if you train alone. Most people will not mind.

The Emperor is offline Associate Member
    Big Red probably said it best.

For Shoulder Press
    I stand up and pick up the weights and place them near my knees while standing. When I sit the weight is on my knee and I push my knee up to get the weight to my shoulders. I believe that if you can't get them up there this way then you will probably cheat on the movement also.

For DB Chest Press
    I do the same thing in the beginning to get the weight on my knees. When I start lying back I kick the weight up and get it near my chest and keep it there until I am lying down. Then I just press. Once again others may feel different, but I don't see how you can do the exercise properly if you can't even get them up after you lie down. You need to go light until get all the stabilizer muscles up to speed...

ptbyjason Guest
    Originally posted by VEGETA990

That's what I do. However, 85's, forget about it. I'm asking the nearest guy to pick one up and hand it to me. I'll use two hands to get the left one up. Swinging big weights around like that is a good way to really injure yourself, if your gonna use big weights, ask for help if you train alone. Most people will not mind.
    I can do that with 100s. I have learned to control the weight, if I can't control it, I don't do it.

The Emperor is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by ptbyjason

I can do that with 100s. I have learned to control the weight, if I can't control it, I don't do it.
    Exactly!!!

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    Originally posted by Scorpion
    Have somebody spot you. I saw a kid grab 100lb dumbells and he almost fell off the bench trying to hoist them into position. Luckily a guy right next to him saw and was there to spot him.
    Geeeesh, I wish I could pick up one 100 lb dumbell....man have I got a long way to go. You guys make me feel so freakin' weak !

Thread Information