Thread: Workout Q????

rujulus is offline Junior Member

Workout Q????

Ok here's the deal my little brother who is in 8th grade 14yrs. wants to start training with me because football season is coming up in 5 months could any of you guy's suggest a good workout routine I mean I'm no idiot when it comes to working out but I never started that young so I wouldn't how easy/hard to go I mean I want him to build muscle I just don't want him to get hurt....
    For Example I was thinking maybe a 3 day split (keep in mind he'll be going light on exercises)
    Mon-Chest
    Wed-Bi's/Tri's
    Fri-Leg's/Back

thanx

steve0 is offline NASM~AFPA~CPT
    when will he be working shoulders ??....what postion will he be playing if he is going to be running a lot like a wide receiver or a running back i would have him do weighted sprints.

See that's the thing I don't want him to go to crazy with it since he so young that's why I just listed a pretty basic workout I know I could separate it more like quads,shoulder,traps,hams etc. but I was thinking maybe take it easy for a yr. or so until he's a little older and more into the grove. Oh yeah he play's runningback,middle line-backer,and he's there punter/fieldgoal kicker, it's hilarious to watch him play the kid will run a touchdown then come back and kick a fieldgoal.
    Last edited by rujulus; 03-12-2004 at 09:35 AM.

GetMeRipped is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rujulus
    See that's the thing I don't want him to go to crazy with it since he so young that's why I just listed a pretty basic workout I know I could separate it more like quads,shoulder,traps,hams etc. but I was thinking maybe take it easy for a yr. or so until he's a little older and more into the grove. Oh yeah he play's runningback,middle line-backer,and he's there punter/fieldgoal kicker, it's hilarious to watch him play the kid will run a touchdown then come back and kick a fieldgoal.
    That is pretty ****ing funny...I bet the other kids get so pissed.

It looks like a pretty basic routine...i would say let him follow that up for now, unless someone can give some better advice.

dirtythirty is offline Associate Member
    first i should tell you my background.....i've played jr. high high school and college fottball.
    right now i currently coach jr. high

at that young of an age power and explosion are not as important as they will be through the following levels. right now you should try to help your bro train to avoid injury. one main problem that i've seen and experienced myself is the overtraining of one specific body part. Focusing on bench press will give your brother a good developed chest, but if you don't help him work with his shoulders the tension from his chest will make him prone to shoulder injuries.

with our players we try to keep them on machines, a lot of times you'll see the younger kids using too much weight and using improper form.-the whole key is injury prevention....... goodluck bro.....

lol...yeah they get real pissed..
    dirtythirty: I totally agree with what your saying I mean he's not a little guy to begin with I just wanted him to hit the weights a little before the season starts, that's why I asked about a routine I didn't know if maybe he was to young.

Thread Information