jon rock is offline Associate Member

I mean ,,,,really hitting triceps "hard"

I have very good mind muscle connection with just about everything but my
    triceps i just cant seem to really "feel" , them. I usually start with close grip benches then standing b/head extensions, seated extensions up to a 85lbs dumbell and it just doesn't feel like anything. They look ok but my arms need
    more size if anyone has this problem or advice to get connected to lagging triceps it would help lots. THANKS

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Try some lighter weights and doing a slower negative on each rep. Also make sure you are contracting your triceps hard at the completion of each rep. Another trick is to have someone hold onto your triceps and as you reach full contraction try and flex there hands/fingers out. This will help your mind zero in on the area that you are trying to work.

jon rock is offline Associate Member
    Thanks, i will try this out.

Swellin Guest
    Shredz gave you great advice...I would only add to that.
    As a finishing move, I like to use 1 arm cable extensions...in front of a mirror.
    Go real slow and get the negative on these too. You can watch the contraction...and really force it. Don't use so much weight that your shoulders get involved...that's no good. Stand up straight with your back out of the exercise. Bend your knees to take pressure off your back. Squeez the weight down...unsqueeze slowly to let the weight back up.
    Three sets of increasing weight for each arm should pump them very tight with blood.
    If not, get a potter to change the weight for you. Go for five to xis sets of ten reps. Finish one set...spotter changes weight, while you hold the bar...finish the next ten...same thing. Now, you have gone down the stack for five plates...now go back up. Then switch arms. (Don't do this excersies very often...use the 1 arm extensions as normal, instead)

BREASTMAN is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jon rock
    I have very good mind muscle connection with just about everything but my
    triceps i just cant seem to really "feel" , them. I usually start with close grip benches then standing b/head extensions, seated extensions up to a 85lbs dumbell and it just doesn't feel like anything. They look ok but my arms need
    more size if anyone has this problem or advice to get connected to lagging triceps it would help lots. THANKS
    You might want to train your tris unilaterally (one arm at a time), as this will increase nerve force allowing for a better contraction.

You might want to try pre-exaust supersets whereby you do an isolation movement first and immediately follow it with a compound exercise. Example:

-tricep pressdown 10-15 reps to failure, immediately into
    -CG bench press 6-8 reps to failure

That would be one superset. 2-3 sets should do the trick.

Finally, you might want to train yout tris in the beginning of the week, as the fresher they are, the better they will respond.

mfenske is offline Member
    I personally like to finish with those exercises that allow me to utilize the heaviest weights. I usually do like five or six sets for triceps (this doens't include a warm-up set). As an example I will warm up with over head DB extensions with about 40-45. Then for my working sets I will do two or three sets of 85-90 lbs for six reps. Then I proceed to close grip bench press and use a grip about twelve inches apart and do 3 sets of six with about 175. I know these poundages aren't very impressive or anything, but they've been working pretty well for me. I feel a good pump in the triceps and they have grown a little, so I'm happy with that. Mark

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    Try throwing in some regular or weighted dips with your normal routine. This usually puts a whoopin on my tris.

Thread Information