NeilI is offline New Member

My proposed routine - Critiques please.

I'm gonna start my new mass building programme in April, so I have been reading up on everything again, just to be sure there is no way I can go wrong.

I'm thinking about using my old exercise routine, which I did manage to gain about 25lbs on, albeit over 2 1/2 years!

For the most part I didn't really cycle exercises, take measurements keep a log or anything like that, except on sets/reps.

I did a 3 day week, doing 2 body parts per day, so this was it; (I have omitted warm up sets)

Monday - Legs and Shoulders

Squats - 5 x 8 reps
    Legs presses - 3 x 8 reps
    Thigh raises (machine) 3 x 8 reps
    Toe presses alternating with Donkey raises - 3 x 8 reps
    Seated dumbell should press - 4 x 8 reps
    Ab work.

Wednesday - Chest and Triceps

Flat Bench - 4 x 8 reps
    Incline Bench - 3 x 8 reps
    Decline Bench - 3 x 8 reps
    Incline and decline were alternated between barbell and dumbells.
    Dips - 3 x 8 reps
    Skull crushers alternating with close grip bench - 3 x 8
    Ab work.

Friday - Back and Biceps

Deadlift - 5 x 8 reps
    Shrugs alternating with EZ bar upright rows - 3 x 8
    Wide chins alternating with close grip chins - 3 x 8
    Barbell curls (with back against wall) alternating with 'improvised' preacher curls or seated concentration curls - 3 x 8
    Ab work.

It's been about 8 months since I have been to the gym, so I have lost a lot of what gained over that period. I have been doing a fair amount of cardio recently, to make sure am really fit when I hit the weights and to lose as much bodyfat as possible before bulking.
    Something I have noticed is that my calves have responded well to the bouncing about on my toes that I have been doing on our cross trainer elyptical nordic type machine at home.
    I remember reading that 'bouncing' is a good tool for calf development is us dudes with ultra skinny calves. I was thinking maybe do 10 minutes of really hard 'pushing and bouncing' on the stairmaster at the gym instead of any toe presses etc?? Or as well???

Anyhoo, any thoughts on my routine would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Way too much volume....

For example.. on leg day..try doing squats 4X8 (working sets) then some romanian or stiff legged deadlifts for 3x6-8 Do calves and go home.. believe me..that will be more than enough volume..especially since your just getting started back

Your bench day is Waaaaaaaay too much.. you can easily get by on 7-9 total sets for chest.. Say 4 working sets incline.. and 3 decline..will be enough..then next workout do flat bench followed by incline dumbbell presses... Tricep work can be kept to dips and overhead dumbbell extensions.. or maybe throw in JM presses..

Your back and bi day isn't too awful..but your volume is still too high.. drop the DL's down to 4 sets.. and drop the preacher curls for awhile..focus on barbell curls and dumbbell hammer curls.. maybe throwing in some seated incline dumbbell curls every other arm workout.. also you may want to alternate Bent over barbell rows with pullups every other workout... Bent over barbell rows are great at building the lats..

clubbinkid is offline Associate Member
    i like 6 days on 1 day off 1 body part a day

i do 12,10,8,6.........all sets to failure

chest
    back
    arms
    quads
    hamstrings and calves
    shoulders
    day 7 rest then repeat cyle

I feel u dont over work the muscle but give it all the attention 4 that plus ur out of the gym quick

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Training to failure every set is not smart.. It's counter productive..training to failure has it's place, but it's only once every few workouts..maybe even less frequant than that. If you're training to failure everyworkout you're cheating yourself, and not giving your body adequate time to recover.

I mean this with no offense clubbin kid..but if you've been training to failure everyworkout your probably nothing more than a hobbyist weightlifter, and with the kind of split that you've got set up, you're never going to go beyond being a hobbyist weight lifter.. In other words, I doubt anyone has/will ever mistake you for a body builder.

Thread Information