LilVito469 is offline Banned

ok how long do you have to do cardio before you actually burn calories?

ok how long do you have to do cardio before you actually burn calories? i wanted to do cardio in the am... but am a smoker and i know i cant go more than a half hour of jogging before my lung feels like its gonna collapse...also should you be sprinting or jogging?

BUMP...anyone?

Um.... stop smoking? I know its not what you want to hear, but I don't know what else to tell you.

sinista63 is offline Associate Member
    um... can you be more specific? cause you're burning calories continuously... even sitting there at the computer typing...... even breathing burns calories...

well ok...how long should i run before i actually burn the fat is what i meant to say...

eggplant is offline Member
    i dun know bro..but i only start timing my cardio when my heart rate hits 60% of max rate..i dun run nor jog..i walk..haha

Sorken is offline Member
    Try HIIT !!

Danielle is offline Female Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey
    Um.... stop smoking? .

what he said
    Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, THAT IS STRENGTH

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LilVito469
    well ok...how long should i run before i actually burn the fat is what i meant to say...
    Thats a difficult question to answer... You actually more fat than carbs at lower heartrates. Higher intensity activities will utilize a greater percentage of carbohydrates. However, you will burn a greater amount of calories overall at higher intesities, even if the ratio changes.

Just quit smoking, bro...or at least cut back. Also, mode doesn't matter for cardio, just as long as your heartrate is up. Mix it up. I personally hate running.

Gators

yeah i am trying to quit smoking by keeping my self alot more active... it worked a while back for a few months while i played football...the coach made me run more cuz he knew i smoked so everytime i touched a smoke i would regret it while i was running... i might just go with some of the sprints my coach made us do at the field near my house.

Ammar is offline Senior Member
    From what I know about anaerobic and aerobic activity...your first 10-15 minutes at a pace of about 70% of your MAX HR you are using anaerobic activity. Therefore, the time after that is the aerobic part. You will start burning off more calories in the aerobic stage.

I am pretty sure about that but someone might be able to clear it up abit. Sorry if its confusing.

DNoMac is offline Senior Member
    To burn the greater percentage of fat, low intensity training. You can burn fat and continue smoking! j/k

grey_blue_white_red is offline Female Member
    From my own personal experiences, I reccommened a minimum 45 minutes. 45 minutes everyday, but work you way up slowly. Start with the 30 you are doing now and only add one minute every week; that way it doesn't feel as bad and your not pushing your body to the point of injury. Once you are up to that point, if you feel like it you can work up to an hour, but unless you want to start entering races, I'd leave it there. Everyday though, that is the way to do it, and remember to strech.

As far as the smoking, is it cigarettes or cigars. I am a cigar smoker myself and I recommend that as apposed to cigarettes. You don't inhale but you get your fix. Start with small cigars, like cigarellos, practice not inhaling but enjoying the taste and slowly switch to those from cigarettes, you lungs will thank you and you won't feel deprived.

Good Luck!
    "USA Today has come out with a new survey: Apparently three out of four people make up 75 percent of the population."
    David Letterman.

bigsd67 is offline Anabolic Member
    well it takes about 10-15 minutes for me to get my HR up to 65% and from there i do 35 minutes...so 45 minutes total at a moderate pace on a bike.

groverman1 is offline Cross Dressing Member
    People do cardio primarily to lose fat. Yes it's better to do cardio on a empty stomach but you will still burn cals whenever you do it. It's all about keeping a calorie deficiet.

DBarcelo is offline Senior Member
    20 Mins.

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar
    From what I know about anaerobic and aerobic activity...your first 10-15 minutes at a pace of about 70% of your MAX HR you are using anaerobic activity. Therefore, the time after that is the aerobic part. You will start burning off more calories in the aerobic stage.

I am pretty sure about that but someone might be able to clear it up abit. Sorry if its confusing.
    ammar summed it up for you. If you cant run than just do low intensity cardio for a longer period of time. Try speed walking on the tred mill or cycle you cardio equipment. Do 20 min jogging, 20 mins on the bike, 20 mins walking, 20 mins eliptical, etc.. you get the point
    abstrack@protonmail.com

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammar

This is kind of what I have been taught. I hit the weights prior to my cardio in the morning burning all that glycogen out of my muscles. Before you say your not as strong or cant rep as much remember your cutting not trying to put another 20lbs on your bench or squat its focus on the prize time. !0-15 mins @ 70% should finish up any of the sugar left in your system keep your hr at that 70% of max now this could men walk until your hr starts to fall now go back to running maintain that 70% work you way up to an hour

longhornDr is offline Member
    The answer depends on the time of day and your nutritional state.

In the morning, before you eat, your body is already using fatty acids as its primary fuel. If you keep the intensity low, you continue using fatty acids as the primary energy source.

In the evening, the body is more reluctant to mobilize fatty acids, assuming you have been eating throughout the day, and your hormonal state is not optimal as it is in the morning after a fast. Depending on what you've been eating, it could take anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour or more to switch over to fatty acids.

Basically, your body will not utilize fatty acids if carbohydrates are available.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Sex burns 400 calories on average. Maybe that is why I cant gain weight......

Quote Originally Posted by grey_blue_white_red
    From my own personal experiences, I reccommened a minimum 45 minutes. 45 minutes everyday, but work you way up slowly. Start with the 30 you are doing now and only add one minute every week; that way it doesn't feel as bad and your not pushing your body to the point of injury. Once you are up to that point, if you feel like it you can work up to an hour, but unless you want to start entering races, I'd leave it there. Everyday though, that is the way to do it, and remember to strech.

As far as the smoking, is it cigarettes or cigars. I am a cigar smoker myself and I recommend that as apposed to cigarettes. You don't inhale but you get your fix. Start with small cigars, like cigarellos, practice not inhaling but enjoying the taste and slowly switch to those from cigarettes, you lungs will thank you and you won't feel deprived.

Good Luck!
    would you consider me a cigar smoker...if i smoke cigars but put weed in em? cuz i shure do that alot...

abstrack is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    Sex burns 400 calories on average. Maybe that is why I cant gain weight......
    Now, how much would "you" burn if it was with the opposite sex?
    abstrack@protonmail.com

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Smiple answer to the question your body does not starting doing things until you hit the 20 min mark. So try to do atleast 45 min.. Thats 25 min of stright fat burning... But heres the thing to if your jogging and you cant hold a convo. then your going alittle to hard thats where you start to burn muscle b/c your turning an aerobic exercise into an anaerobic one which you do not wanna do.. Aerobic calories burn fat as your body breathes in oxygen. Low-intensity activities up to and including walking are mainly fat burning. However, as your body's need for energy becomes greater than your rate of oxygen intake, your body begins burning anaerobic calories. Anaerobic calories burn glucose by converting a starch stored in your muscles known as glycogen. Since this doesn't require oxygen, anaerobic calories are used in very strenuous activities for short periods. So with that said The only way your gonna burn muscle by doing cardio is by doing Anaerobic cardio like running really hard not being able to hold a convo while doing it.. Try getting on a treadmill and setting the incline to 15 and walk at a pace of 2.2 or 2.5 that will burn A LOT of calories and you don’t have to worry about burning muscle…

Thread Information