Baldy03 is offline New Member

high rep program?

soon i'm going to be starting a high rep program in which i could use some help in. recently i have been doing lower reps, consuming lots of calories, putting on mass, and not doing any cardio. in a few weeks i will begin to cut my calories, do higher reps, and work in cardio. what would be goods sets and reps for a high rep program? any advice would be great. thanks.

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Well if you're looking for reps that work in the optimal Hypertrophic range then you should probably try to focus more on the 8-12 rep range... below five is usually more reserved for strength training..and anything much above 12 is rather futile.. you certainly won't build any muscle with any sets over 15 reps... this is more for cutting (I think it's a waste of time.. you use your diet and cardio to cut..not your weight training)

Try focusing on or around the 10 rep range....

phreezer, thanks for the advice man. Just one other question that i have is would you suggest to keep the same type of sets that i'm using right now for all my lifts? i mean each week it varies for the sets, but usually i like to get around 12-15 sets per muscle group when i lift.

Thats too much volume.. you can easily get by doing 8-10 total sets for larger muscle groups and 6-8 total sets for the smaller ones....

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by phreezer
    Well if you're looking for reps that work in the optimal Hypertrophic range then you should probably try to focus more on the 8-12 rep range... below five is usually more reserved for strength training..and anything much above 12 is rather futile.. you certainly won't build any muscle with any sets over 15 reps... this is more for cutting (I think it's a waste of time.. you use your diet and cardio to cut..not your weight training)

Try focusing on or around the 10 rep range....
    Ok bros check this out.. 1-5 reps are used for strength 6-12 are for hypertorpy and 13 and on are for muscular endurance so Phreezer your alittle off by saying that this is futile not to flame you bro but its true.. You can build muscle by doing this. What happens when you do it is your muscles will be able to handle doing something for a long time also they will become more compact as you break down more muscle fibers thus making them harder.. They are not going to help when cutting b/c they have nothing to do with cutting. Saying that you can do like 500 reps of something isnt gonna make you get cut.. Its just not how things work. Diet will make you cut you can still lift heavy with the same reps you are doing now but you dont have to lift lighter and do more reps and thing just b/c of that your gonna get cut.. So deppending on what your goals are that will depend on your reps.. I use higher reps every now and then b.c I am a Fighter and my body needs to be able to punch and kick over and over again.. Also Phreezer is right that volume would be to high 3 reps for each set is good also inculde 2 warm up sets with light weight so chest would be like a total or 12 sets plus to light warm up sets. Well I hope I helped any once again Phreezer I wasnt trying to flame you I was just stating facts. Sorry if you took offence to that

I think you need to re-read what I said.. our ranges on hypertrophy are pretty much the same.. and those are "Ranges" they are not exact..they can't be exact because everyone is differant... and I didn't feel flamed at all... But I'm still right bro.. For a bodybuilder..reps over 15 are futile.. I'm not sure where you got your information on those rep ranges making muscle fiber "harder" but I'd love to see the study...

Could you please post a link or the article with it's references?? I would greatly appreciate it!
    Last edited by phreezer; 03-24-2004 at 10:35 PM.

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    No links bro im sorry it was in a book called maximize your metabolism but like I said already thats what the basic rangers are for the 3 different ways to hit the muscles... and like I said the whole 15 thing is only for muscluar endurance so it really depends on what your trying to accomplish.. Hey phreezer can you send me a link with your 5x5 that you did.. I think im gonna start one of this thanks bro

alright guys thanks a lot for you help. Yeah i would like to keep the mass that i have right now, but i just want to get cut. So i think that i'm just going to keep the same type workout program that i have now, but like you said adjust my diet and add cardio and hopefully that will do the trick. Also one other question that i have is would you suggest doing shorter and more intense cardio or long and less intense?

decadbal is offline Banned
    you need to do cardio for atleast 20min to reach the fatloss stage, id go with somewhat higher reps in certain lifts, for legs i go as high as 16 in a set, works great..

alright thanks again for the advice. just one more question for deca is what other lifts other than squat would you suggest going with high reps?

Thread Information