Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    bulldawg_28 is offline Senior Member

What exercises increase punching power?

The reason why I am asking is because there's this drunk that wants to start some sh!t with me. Right now I'm doin a pretty good job of avoiding him, but just incase I need to defend myself I might as well be throwing some hard punches. Thanks bros.

INmemoryJBC8102 is offline New Member
    brass nuckles!!!

Testsubject is offline Anabolic Member
    Why dont get some light weight, 15lbers, and start punching the air with them in your hand, practice punching with the weight in your hands and then when you need to knock him one youll be that much stronger and faster. Just an idea, Ive seen guys doing this before so thats the only thing that comes to my mind. Or you could use some knuckles or a fist filler, lol. Those always hurt.

Thanks for the advice bro. Anbody else?

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject
    Why dont get some light weight, 15lbers, and start punching the air with them in your hand, practice punching with the weight in your hands and then when you need to knock him one youll be that much stronger and faster. Just an idea, Ive seen guys doing this before so thats the only thing that comes to my mind. Or you could use some knuckles or a fist filler, lol. Those always hurt.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member
    Hears my theory. Get an big elastic rubber band. Kinda like what they use for water balloon launchers. Find a pole. Put the rubber band behind the pole and grab the ends of the rubber band. Start punching at the air while holding the ends. The resistance should be very tight. Do that as long as you can and then try to punch at the bag without holding the rubber band. You will find it is much quicker.
    Or if you have a pool, try punching under water.... Results are temporary but if you continue it, you will see good progress.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    This is terrible advice!!! Do not do this for any reason.....it will do nothing for you except possibly cause an injury. You are hooped, unless you have the time to learn how to punch with reasonably decent technique. That, and increases in body weight are what will make the most significant difference. In the meantime keep avoiding buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Testsubject

JARVIZ is offline Junior Member
    okay here's my advice im no expert but I used to be a boxer, your power comes from your shoulder, you need the proper stance when you punch move your hips towards the punch, Alaways keep your hands up oh yeah punching with light weights in your hands is good, and when shadow boxing you always wanna aim taller then you that way if you fight some one big your already used to punching high. Oh yeah boxing is very different then street fighting! Boxing is skill, fighting everything goes head but his ass they least expect it! try it.

LM1332 Guest
    my theory on this would be bench press. Its only logical if you use your pecs to push then you would use your pecs to punch(which is push in a more hurtful way)

Thanks bros, I'll start those exercises today.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Other than overall bodyweight and strength... you should know how to hit someone. Like if you twist your knuckles and bang hard enough into the temple you can get a KO... keep your head up and pay attention and sh!t... there are quite a few fighters on here that can probably give some tricks...

But yeah - pushing movements would make sense, like Chest and Tricep strength... but overall muscularity would help a lot more...

If this "drunk" is causing you frequent problems - they might not be solved by this... say you kick his ass, if he has an issue with you he may come up wth something else another time... my advice is to squash the issue rather than looking for a fight... but if he comes after you - knock him on his ass...

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    The strength of a punch comes from the hips, legs and core muscles. Squats, torso rotation, and strong abs would help the most I would think.

Large, blunt objects also do wonders.

njk
    njk is offline Associate Member
    i have some important advice, first off i do box on the regular and have sparred a few tims with a friend , who is gonna be pro soon. anyway what he has taught me is this, two simple rules : chin down and hands up, never forget these two . you say you want to perpare for him, well yeah some exercises will make you punch stronger , but that does not necesssairly mean you will knock him out or even put up a good fight. what you need to do is shadow box and hit the bags while working on speed, as fast as you throw a punch bring it back , never want sloppy hand control in a fight that's when you can get hurt and leave your self open for a shot. listen i am not the biggest guy, 6' 197, and not to sound tough i have knocked out and put some guys on there ass that were way bigger than me. speed and technique are the key in a normal fight , now in a pro fight that is when strength and stamina are more important. picture this , you know what a guy that weighs only 160, but can box can do to a guy that is way bigger but really has no idea how to throw a punch, trust me it is not a pretty sight. anyway hope this helps, if you have any more questions please ask. oh yeah , if this guy does approach you, do not give him anymore opportunity to get closer, once he invades your space let loose and step into your punches. it makes me laugh when two guys get in each others face and talk **** for about twenty minutes before either someone breaks it up or someone gets suckered. remember pit bulls do not bark they attack when threatened. sorry for the long thread, i really get too excited sometimes, lol.

rujulus is offline Junior Member
    My greatest advice I could give you bro is AVOID him, comming on a message board to ask advice I can tell you probably haven't been in many fights probably none and that's key it's all about experience, but if you want to know what to work out to get a stronger punch that would be your shoulder's/back that's were the power's coming from.

njk
    guys, your power comes from your legs and hips, just like a pitcher in baseball. remember a strong punch is determined by how it is delivered, not how big you are.

Quote Originally Posted by njk
    guys, your power comes from your legs and hips, just like a pitcher in baseball. remember a strong punch is determined by how it is delivered, not how big you are.
    I agree to an extent, hip's "YES" and leg's also "Yes" just for the fact that they help you pivot before you throw the punch but ask any boxer and he'll tell your shoulder's/back help a lot with what's coming behind the punch....In all honesty I could really careless which is the best proper technique because when it all comes down to it it's all experience because your not going to be throwing just punches in a street fight I hope this kid know's a little about submission fighting/wrestling whatever it takes to bust your opponent's sh*t....
    Last edited by rujulus; 03-23-2004 at 09:53 AM.

njk
    i agree with you also, you and i know a street fight and a match are two different worlds, i just did not want this kid to think that by getting bigger muscles= punching like mike tyson. i do agree that in a street fight a strong upper body will help in grapeling, but do not forget and you should know this too from experience, balance is everything, the trunk of the tree is the strongest part. i just wanted this kid to get a good shot off on this other punk, hopefully that is all he would need.

i agree with you also, you and i know a street fight and a match are two different worlds, i just did not want this kid to think that by getting bigger muscles= punching like mike tyson. i do agree that in a street fight a strong upper body will help in grapeling, but do not forget and you should know this too from experience, balance is everything, the trunk of the tree is the strongest part. i just wanted this kid to get a good shot off on this other punk, hopefully that is all he would need.
    Totally bro, that's why I told him to just avoid the situation I just hope the other kid can't take a punch or he's in for a rude awakening.

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Yeah nothing good will come from this guy getting into a scrap, not a knock bu just your either a fighter from the start or not but upper body is key for a street fight.

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    If he's drunk then you will have an advantage there too...

njk
    first off, i would like to say that we are not telling you to fight this punk or promoting it, because if it does happen in a club or bar you could get arrested, lose job, etc. , i realized this the hard way since i am a little older. all i think we are trying to say is if this guy invades and threatens your space and well being than you must defend yourself first, one of my other friends is a cop and he has told me self defense can be used by someone even if you are not physically threatened, but feel as if you were to be physically threatened. hope all this advice helps.

homeboybonanza is offline Associate Member
    You don't have enough time to learn how to fight first and then strengthen your skills.
    Is this guy bullying you or are you the bigger stronger guy? If you're not likely to be harmed, just avoid this ****. If this guy can hurt you, sneak up on his ass and F up his world with a brick to the mouth. If you're justified in doing so, it'll send a message.

I disagree with NJK. Yes, it is smarter to avoid any physicality especially because it can go on your record. I also learned this the hard way. It is important to pick your battles. This doesn't sound like a guy that's ever been in trouble before, so he pretty much has a get out of jail free card on this one. But...here's where I disagree...if this guy fights in self-defense, he's still going to be arrested for some type of assault. That's what cops do here in urban parts of Connecticut anyway. They arrest both parties and let the judge sort it out. So...if this guy worries about the arrest thing...he best not go through with it. If not, he should punch this guys' kidneys up around his face and bake a pie with them.

Speed kills. Especially if hes drunk..Most people just talk a lot of sh*t. You wouldn't have time to think about everything people tell you to do when you get in a fight. It's just second nature. So you might wanna just practice a bit. My guess is that your just overthinkin the situation. A fight is just that. Not a matter of death. (most of the time)
    I know a lot of people that are scared to even stand up to someone. Don't be like that. Most of the guys that walk around lookin all bad just want someone's attention,unhappy with themselves and their lives.

I'm sure a lot of people on here have experieced people that don't know you but because your walking around in a tight tshirt with some size they think you want a fight. They get drunk and think they are american badas8ses,and wanna make an ass of themselves to look like someone. So i wouldnt worry bout it bro,but do what you have to. Never let anyone on tread on you..

businesscannon is offline New Member
    i disagree with it being said that if he is drunk hes at a disadvantage. seeing how a good portion of the time alcohol is the reason for someone becomming beligerent, or at least it is in my case. the night before last i had just got home from being out and parked my jeep outside my apartment and saw this kid who was clearly driving drunk rootin up a rooster tail on this girls car just cause he thought it was funny so in a calm manner i yelled at him to stop and was being mature about it since clearly he wasnt. he found it necessary to get out of the car because apparently i hurt his pride and he walked over and was wasted and beligerent and he pushed me and i spontaneously landed a disgusting hit on him and from there he was just trying to keep his face covered. work on building up coordination in both arms - i'm luckily ambidextrous so i throw simultaneous punches which keeps me on the offensive since most people who are right handed are gonna out of instinct try to throw a haymaker with their dominant right arm and if that doesnt work for them they r leaving themself wide open. sorry for the long post i took an adderall to study and got distracted on here.

Ummm, how much time do you think this guy has to build coordination in his arms? lol. I don't think he's training to fight this guy in a year. Do like I told you Junior. Choke him, kick him in the balls, scratch out his eyeballs...he won't f with you again. If this is for sport, then do what these other experts are tellin ya! lol.

amotanis is offline Junior Member
    that rubberband idea might have something to it. Lol.. refrigerator boxes are packaged with huge ass rubberbands, fyi.

if its unavoidable just do the dang thang. if you get beat up, big dill, just get scrappy as you can and go balls out.

p'z

Wow! Thanks for all the advice. Rujulus I do have a wrestling background. But I don't really think there will be a fight. Homeboybonanza he's the bigger guy, but he's a fat piece of sh!t. For now I'm just gonna be the bigger man and walk away, but if he approaches me he's gonna get hit in the throat and kicked in the balls.

bermich is offline Anabolic Member

I really have to disagree with this. Have you ever seen George Foreman fight? He doesnt use his legs or his hips. He just stands there and sticks out his arm.
    If you have SOLID weight in your shoulders, you have a good advantage.
    I dont know how legs and hips come into play in boxing. This aint martial arts. Its all about upper body strength. Stand up and throw a left jab with your left foot infront of you putting all your weight on the left leg and use the right top of your foot for balance. There is almost NO hip or leg movement while throwing a jab. If you are, then your jab is telegraphed a mile before you throw it.
    SHOULDERS.

inheritmylife is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bermich
    I really have to disagree with this. Have you ever seen George Foreman fight? He doesnt use his legs or his hips. He just stands there and sticks out his arm.
    If you have SOLID weight in your shoulders, you have a good advantage.
    I dont know how legs and hips come into play in boxing. This aint martial arts. Its all about upper body strength. Stand up and throw a left jab with your left foot infront of you putting all your weight on the left leg and use the right top of your foot for balance. There is almost NO hip or leg movement while throwing a jab. If you are, then your jab is telegraphed a mile before you throw it.
    SHOULDERS.
    Your right, it isnt martial arts, and it isnt boxing either. Its a street fight. I dont see too many jabs being thrown in a street fight.

In MMA or NHB or whatever your flavor, when a guy throws a punch it usually has some force behind it. Its power comes from the hips and legs, as well as the rotation of the torso. In many of these competitions, underground cage fights, etc., there is no card, the fight ends when someone is unconscious or unwilling to go on.

amotanis is offline Junior Member
    true power, i mean ALOT of power can be derived by form and technique. i watched this martial aarts special on discovery i think. Was really neat, hooked up sensor pads to these kickbags and these two doods kicked and i forget how many pounds per sq. in. but one of the sensor busted and the other read outs were the equivelant of a 16 wheeler hittin you at 60mph. or something like that. anyone see that show? it was dope

HyperSick is offline Associate Member
    How many people win fights by punching? It's just not that easy.
    But to become a stronger puncher it's best just to go nuttz on a heavy-bag.

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    Ok heres my idea.. I am a MMA fighter or Mixed Martial Arts Fighter.. I have taken martial arts for 15 yrs now.. I have take judo, brazilian jujutsu, shotokan, hapkido, kick boxing, grappling and now im taking Krav Maga.So yeah I know what im talking abou. Sorry Im gonna get alittle technical on this. The punch is a hand technique which uses the muscles of the arms and trunk to transfer the power generated by the legs and hips to the target. Tsuki‑waza is usually translated as "punching technique", but it could more accurately described as "thrusting technique". This is because thrusting leg techniques and thrusting arm techniques work essentially the same way. In the punch the forearm is thrust forward as if it were a sword. The striking surface is normally the two large knuckles of the fist. The forearm is rotated during the punch, stopping palm down, which allows a better connection between the arm and the shoulder and chest muscles to be acheived. This allows a better transfer of power from the stance to the fist. Power can be concentrated properly (kime or focus) only when the hips, chest, shoulders, arms, wrists, and fists are firmly linked, and all the necessary muscles are used properly. By proper use of the summation of forces the power flows smoothly from the legs and hips out through the fist at the point of contact. For this to happen it is necessary to release all unnecessary tension from the arm and the hand at the start. This allows the power to flow freely up through the body to be released in a concentrated blast at the moment of impact. So from reading that you pretty much get what you need to work out.. I LOVE doing knuckle pushups for the forearms, wrists, chest and tris they work great but dont forget everything else I said that is used in a punch... Also if you need any help at all Try taking Krav Maga.. ITs a GREAT self defence course and its used by many law enforcement and Military systems.. Krav Maga is the offical martial art the the Israeli Army Try going here. www.kravmaga.com They have some good info.
    Last edited by Jock191; 03-24-2004 at 01:17 AM.

njk
    ok obviously you really have no idea what you are talking about, not to flame, but a jab is meant to stun or set your opponent up for a stronger punch like an over hand right, which you need hip and leg movement to make it a powerful punch, a jab is not meant to be a very strong punch, and the george foreman example is probably the worst example to use , we are not talking about a mamouth of a man like him who mis powerful all over, i am applying this example on how to throw a punch for a normal person. this kid will not be throwing jabs , i just hope he can get one good punch in if it happens. thanks

njk
    also for those of you that say things like kick him in the balls or bite him, that's all bull sh*t , if you are truly a confident individual you can defend yourself like a man not a punk. i do not want to sound like some tough a## but fighting like that will only get you hurt if you run into someone who knows how to fight . a fight is all about instinct and when you can take that and apply it with some good advice like how to throw a good punch , you are better off. thanks

Jock191 is offline Associate Member
    ok obviously you really have no idea what you are talking about, not to flame, but a jab is meant to stun or set your opponent up for a stronger punch like an over hand right, which you need hip and leg movement to make it a powerful punch, a jab is not meant to be a very strong punch, and the george foreman example is probably the worst example to use , we are not talking about a mamouth of a man like him who mis powerful all over, i am applying this example on how to throw a punch for a normal person. this kid will not be throwing jabs , i just hope he can get one good punch in if it happens. thanks

Just trying to figure out if this comment was to me or not? If so now ill point out where you are wrong... Even when throwing a jab you are still using the SAME muscles with any other punch. The Kizami-zuki: Jab/straight punch is just that it is a stright punch so your still using your core muscles your delts your legs and so forth to throw the punch BUT now ill tell you something I else never said anything about a JAB I said PUNCH... I was speaking in general about the physics of a punch.So I do know what im talking about b/c with a PUNCH all the things that I mentioned are involved and thats what should be trained. ANY PUNCH You do uses the same muscles.
    Last edited by Jock191; 03-24-2004 at 01:34 PM.

Bigkel1 is offline New Member
    just talk your way im on him, then when your right up on him crush him in the nose. This punch will at least give you a few seconds to either throw another punch or tackle his ass and pound him. If hes drunk and your not its just that much easier

El Diablo is offline Banned
    I'm wondering how the fight went?

Elliot is offline Anabolic Member
    wow.. why are you asking.. get a bat and beat him silly and stop worrying about punch power..

HansVonSchnittchen is offline Junior Member
    Screw the punch, just body slam his drunk ass to the ground...then start punchin when hes on his back.

****, i'm not advocating fighting unless you have to, but some idiots really piss me off sometime. I wish it was 1875 so I could beat peoples asses and not have to worry about losing my job.

well, you can punch him first to, and then body slam the dumbass.

spywizard is offline AR-Elite Hall of Famer~
    Punch through whatever you are hitting...........

warning............ do not hit one of the strongest, and largest bones in the human body... (head) with one of the smallest bones in your body (hand)

a tazer works great.. then the knee... elbow... workout.........
    The answer to your every question

Rules

A bigot is a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted
    to his or her own opinions and prejudices, especially
    one exhibiting intolerance, and animosity toward those of differing beliefs.

If you get scammed by an UGL listed on this board or by another member here, it's all part of the game and learning experience for you,
    we do not approve nor support any sources that may be listed on this site.
    I will not do source checks for you, the peer review from other members should be enough to help you make a decision on your quest. Buyer beware.
    Don't Let the Police kick your ass

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information