wannalearn is offline New Member

new workout-what do you think

After following DC training for 7 weeks i am taking the 2 week cruise period starting monday. I have achieved great results but have lately become interested in a Bill Starr-esque 5x5 program, but sticking to the basics of DC, ie. training frequency and an abbreviated routine. The 5x5 will be 2-3 warmup sets followed by 2-3 worksets for larger body parts, and DC will be 1 rest-pause set for smaller bodypart, take a look.

Mon
    Bench 5x5 1x8 (back off set)
    OHP (BB) 5x5
    CG Bench 1 rp set
    Pulldowns or Pullups 6x6 (cumulative fatigue)
    Bent rows 5x5 1x8

Wed
    bb curls 1rp set
    reverse preacher curls 1 straight set x15
    leg press calf 1 straight set, 5 sec down 15 sec stretch x12
    lying leg curl 1rp set
    squat 1x5, 1x20 (essentially 5x5 w/warmups w/2 true worksets)

Fri
    Incline bench 5x5 1x8
    OHP (DB)
    Weighted Dips 1rp set
    Pulldown or Pullup 6x6 (cumulative fatigue)
    Deadlifts 1x5, 1x20 (same as squat)

Mon
    incline curl 1 rp set
    standing reverse curls 1 straight set x15
    donkey raises 1 straight set 5 sec down 15 sec stretch x12
    RDL 2x8
    leg press 1x5, 1x20 (same as squat and deadlift)

Accessory exercises: Neck work, side bends, abs, back extentions, and rotator work. Stretching the body parts after working them as well.

So as you can see its a pretty abbreviated program, even with the 5x5, I just want to concentrate on strength for the most part right now. As always to do this, I will keep striving to up my poundages at each workout. Thanks for any input.

bump

14 views and nobody has an opinion?

Sorken is offline Member
    I don't like it !!

lew
    lew is offline Junior Member
    when following 5x5 system will you be taking each set to faliure? like the mix of DC ideas looks good, Like the idea of following 2 actual work sets 1 with low reps ie 5 and the other with 15-20.

Lew

I like the split, but why 15 reps, after 12 you aren't doing any good to keep going as far as building muscle. What was the whole 1rp 1 set. I certainly wouldn't think it means 1 rep for one set. let's see what everyone else thinks, But I'm not bashing your workout bro. If it works for you then keep doing it.

Whatcha gonna do.....

sorken: intelligent reply, what about it don't you like?

lew:no each 5x5 is not taken to failure, way too much work, instead the first 3-4 sets are building/warmup sets, then 1-2 true worksets. Yeah for squats,deadlifts and leg press i plan to keep my strength on par with 1x5 and then getting the big anabolic /metabolic effect from the higher reps for these big exercises.

bump, anyone else care to give their opinion?

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    />
    Some of your exercises are set up in a manner I don't understand... Why would you do leg presses as your primary exercise for a leg day? Squat.. Front squats.. Trad hack Squats.. or Zerchers .. combined with Stiff legged or Romanian Deadlifts should be the stapple and core exercises of your leg day... if you want to have a leg day...

a true 5X5 program resembles something like this..

Mon:A
    Bench press
    Pushpress
    Overhead Dumbell extensions
    Squat
    Calves

WED:B
    Deads,
    Rows,
    Cleans,
    Chins

Fri:C
    Decline Dumbbell Press
    Weighted dips
    Military Press
    Box Squat
    Calves

Sun.D

Romanian Deadlifts (or sitff legged deadlifts)
    Shruggs
    Lat Pulldowns
    Seated Rows

You should keep it pretty much the way it is for the first 4-5 weeks. However, for weeks 6-10, only do workout A once a week, on Monday, and only do workout B once a week, on Thursday or Friday. Also, reduce the sets to 2 and the reps to 3. Thats it.

That makes it a solid dual factor program based off of compound lifts. Simple, yet very effective.

Some of the exercises may be tweekad a little to reduce the overall volume but this is pretty much the way it's laid out..

I see phreezer and totally understand your program and logic. But i'm not trying to do a 5x5 program in its entirety, nor DC. I simply combined the two, DC-frequency, low volume, heavy weights, rest-pause (for smaller muscle groups) rotation of exercises and 5x5-progressive warmups followed by a couple worksets, both utilizing heavier progressive poundage. My logic is to use the 5x5 for my big muscle groups and core exercises to get stronger in those areas. DC is used to keep the volume down on the smaller muscle groups. And what else exactly don't you understand about the way my exercises are set up? The format is exactly what DC advocates and what works for me. As for having the leg press as my core exercise for legs on that particular day, well like i said i combined the 5x5 with DC, meaning i rotate exercises. I appreciate your reply, and really like the program you laid out, but i just wanted to give you a better understanding of why i set things up like i have, hopefully this post will shed some light on that for you. Let me know. wannalearn

phreezer is offline Respected Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wannalearn
    I see phreezer and totally understand your program and logic. But i'm not trying to do a 5x5 program in its entirety, nor DC.
    See, by trying to combine two totally differant programs that are set up un differant principles.. (the only commonality between the two is the fact that both are actually dual factor periodization programs.. but the 5X5 is designed to be a Push Pull training method... so the core exercises need to be maintained.. and they need to be heavy compound movements... Leg press doesn't really qualify..sorry to all you guys who think that using the leg press is just as good as squating.. the truth is..it isn't.. there is no replacement for the king of all lifts..

I simply combined the two, DC-frequency, low volume, heavy weights, rest-pause (for smaller muscle groups) rotation of exercises and 5x5-progressive warmups followed by a couple worksets, both utilizing heavier progressive poundage.
    See 5X5 wil not work in this manner.. all 5 reps of all 5 sets are to be done at working weight..there is no "working Up" to your last set's weight.. your first set and your last set are both the same weight..so there is no progressive poundage..

My logic is to use the 5x5 for my big muscle groups and core exercises to get stronger in those areas. DC is used to keep the volume down on the smaller muscle groups.
    I don't believe you've really looked at the 5X5 program.. it's not really something you can bastardize like this.... You can do your heavier core exercises with a 5x5 rep scheme..but the fact that you need 4 workouts a week to these core exercises makes it difficult to work in your DC style training for smaller muscle groups.. The push pull method will work just fine.. and honestly,,, your thinking this thing too deep.. By simply pulling heavy weight off the floor and pushing up heavy weight you are going to grow.. you can add a couple of sets of Bicep curls in there with Bent over barbell rows or seated rows.. but your overall mass will grow rather nicely.. This program is designed to make you big and strong.. Don't worry so much about the teeny tiny arms.. they'll come along.

And what else exactly don't you understand about the way my exercises are set up? The format is exactly what DC advocates and what works for me. As for having the leg press as my core exercise for legs on that particular day, well like i said i combined the 5x5 with DC, meaning i rotate exercises. I appreciate your reply, and really like the program you laid out, but i just wanted to give you a better understanding of why i set things up like i have, hopefully this post will shed some light on that for you. Let me know. wannalearn
    Well the exercises that you've chosen is what I didn't understand.. 5X5 is set more on core compound movements..and again.. leg presses are not amoung them.. for 5x5 to be effective it's important that you squat..deadlift..and bench.. you can't get by doing 5x5 leg curls leg extensions etc.. it has to Be Push/Pull lifts..

ok, phreezer, sounds good, although i hope you understand in no way do i think doing 5x5 on leg curls, extentions, etc. would be the way to go, as you can see i did utilize the core movements for my 5x5. Thanks man for all your help, and in closing, i assume every movement is done 5x5, with the exception of dumbell extentions, shrugs and pulldowns right? correct me if i'm wrong

Thread Information