ScottyDog is offline Junior Member

Looking for Advice.

Hi All.

I'm new to the site and hoping for some good advice.

Currently, I'm 6'0, 170lbs, 15% BF.

Training:
    I've been trying for years to gain weight(muscle) only to no avail. I've worked out 3,4,5 days a week, tried Pete Sisco's "Train Smart" method as well as Hot Point Fitness. Nothing.

Eating:
    I've tried Weight Gainers, MRP's, Creatine, and Protein shakes.

Currently I'm training similar to Pete Sisco's Train Smart. I lift heavy weight 20 times(which is usually to fatigue), but only partial range. 3 sets, 1 exercise per body part. I workout 2 days a week:

Day1:
    Shoulder
    Trap
    Bicep
    Tricep
    Abs

Day2:
    Chest
    Upper Back
    Lower BAck
    Legs

Soreness:
    When I feel that I've gotten a good workout, I'm usually sore roughly 24 hours later. When I workout and feel like it was less that par, I'm usually sore about 12 hours later or not at all. Never could figure that one out!

I have made some good gains in strength with my latest routine, but as always, I fail to put on mass. My job has me behind a desk all day so any weight I do put on seems to go right to my stomache. I'm sick and tired of being called Frikin' skinny! What am I doing wrong? Am I not eating enough? Not training hard enough? Am I overtraining?

Any help in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-S

cpt steele is offline Anabolic Member
    Your training is not good to start with your diet is probably poor, and you have come to the right place. Read all the beginer stuff you can on this site it takes time bro good luck

Quote Originally Posted by cpt steele
    Your training is not good to start with your diet is probably poor, and you have come to the right place. Read all the beginer stuff you can on this site it takes time bro good luck
    Actually, I think I eat ok. I don't eat junk food, I'm the "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. I eat lots of Chicken, and probably too many carbs in the form of rice and potatoes.

What is the best food suppliment? MRP, weight gainer, or just protein shakes?

nsa
    nsa is offline King of Supplements
    Protein shakes. You desperately need to rework your exercise split.

Yeah, I'm thinking I should go back to the old stand by:

Mon: Chest and Triceps
    Tues: 45 min Cardio
    Wed: Back and Biceps
    Thurs: 45min Cardio
    Friday Shoulders and Legs

2 exercises per Body part, 3 sets of 10-12 reps.

Is this still an effective workout?

Also, When should I be sore from a workout? Should I always have some sorness from the muscles previously worked on? Like I said in my post above, sometimes I get sore regular as clockwork, 23-24 hours later. Other times, I'm not sore at all...

captain anabolic is offline Junior Member
    Bro,
    First off please throw away that program you are on, as it does not allow for adequite rest, remember muscle grows away from the gym, gym is only the stimulus.

Next, How old are? if you are not yet 25 it will be a bit harder to gain mass because your muscles have not yet fuller matured (this actually happens closer to 30). Also you metabolism will still be flying throught the roof.

What is you frame size, big, med.,small. ?

The old stand by you mention is good, work the compound movements ie squat, bench. 6-10 reps good form. keep eating clean and a lot drink milk and juice and you will grow.

Take care,
    Captain Anabolic

I'm 26, now 175lbs, 16.8% bf (yikes!), small-medium build.

I'm back doing the mon-wed-fri routine, altrhough I have not done cardio in about 1.5 months. With is probably why by b/f has risen.

I definitley feel like I'm getting stronger. I can bench two 85 lb dumbbells for 3 sets of 10, which is my all time high for that exercise. When I started this routine back in March, I was using 70-75lb db's

Should my BF be going up? Is this just the result of mass eating and not doing cardio?

ironpumpindoc is offline Junior Member
    If you are looking to gain mass, you are going to put on some fat. Are you currently doing any anabolics, or thinking of it? Another training option to look at is the "HUGE" program that is put out by Flex magazine. I have been doing that and put on good size. It has an entire guide how to start then switch to power lifting for mass, then cutting. I recommend it. Also, if you still can't gain weight . . . eat more. Like they say, "you gotta eat big to get big."

My goal is to be 180-190 @ 10-11% bf. I'm getting ready to start creatine again. I do have a bottle of Mag10 that I got from a friend, not sure if it works. I've researched it on this board and found a 50-50 split on whether it works or not. I think my goals should be attainable without anabolics.

Thread Information